Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
Chicago, Illinois 197 66.78%
Miami, Florida 98 33.22%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 04:46 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,183,607 times

Advertisements

lol 2 reasons why I'm predicting Chicago will win this thread:

1. Chicago is the bigger and older city so it gets more respect.
2. Miami gets bashed all the time on C-D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 04:48 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
lol 2 reasons why I'm predicting Chicago will win this thread:

1. Chicago is the bigger and older city so it gets more respect.
2. Miami gets bashed all the time on C-D.
or that these cities are in 2 different leagues...better compared to houston or atlanta. this thread shouldn't have been made.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
or that these cities are in 2 different leagues...better compared to houston or atlanta. this thread shouldn't have been made.
I see what you mean.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:57 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,057,553 times
This is a tough one but the question is which would you rather live in and not to be hard on Chicago because I really do love it for visiting and think its architecturally incredible and better than NYC... but

The people of Miami are nicer, the place is safer, the prospects for economic growth are all there. Publix is the best supermarket I've been in anywhere in the nation. The girls are hot, the clubs are plentiful, the weather is great. Seriously Chicago? Better for what?

You make $10,000 more a year and have 2% less poverty than Miami and for that you live in a cold environment which means higher electric bills for heating, the highest sales tax in the nation, higher mortgage rates, some of the worst gangs in the nation, ~20 cents more to the gallon on gas and despite the better public transit you're still going to need that car in chicago and be dealing with even worse traffic than Miami.

Here check this out: http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/...alculator.aspx

Old 06-01-2010, 05:06 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Culture (Museums, theatre, art galleries, festivals, music scene, etc.) I'm going to break this into categories.
+ Museums: Chicago
+ Theater: Chicago
+ Art Galleries: Chicago
+ Festivals: Toss up, Chicago has a lot of European and Asian festivals and Miami has a lot of Caribbean and Latin American festivals
+ Music Scene: Chicago
+ Culture: Toss up, they're both culturally different, it depends on what you prefer.
(This was a Chicago category because Midwesterners and Northeast people generally are way more into Art, theater, etc... it's not Miami's fault at all here.)
Scenery: Toss up, Chicago has some beautiful scenery from the lake front and architecturally it's amazing, and Miami has some beautiful natural scenery and it's new gleaming skyline helps make it look wonderful.
Parks: Chicago, 2nd busiest park in USA after NYC, and it's got 52 parks in city proper with more in metro
Shopping: Miami, Miami deserves this one, it's world renowned shopping paradise, only Vegas and NYC can beat that and LA too. But Chicago's is definitely good. 5th in the country.
Education: Chicago (Northwestern, University of Chicago, etc..)
Restaurants: Chicago, ties with San Francisco and is only behind NYC on dining
Nightlife:Toss up.
+ Chicago: Sports bars, bars, international festivities
+ Miami: Clubs, beach activities, etc..
(Chicago has some good clubs too, but Miami is better just like Miami has good bars but Chicago is better)
Public Transportation: Chicago
Economy: Chicago (2nd largest financial center in USA after NYC and 5th in the world)
Better Quality of Life: Toss Up, subjective, it depends on who you are and what you prefer.
Better housing costs: Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post

these cities are simply just not in the same league, miami can not even compete with smaller cities like boston/sf/dc, much less vs. one of the top 5 commerce centers in the world.

top 10 in world by mastercard
#1 london
#2 nyc
#3 tokyo
#4 singapore
#5 chicago
#6 hong kong
#7 paris...
etc. etc..

simply put having a lot of money flowing through over periods longer than a century have a lot to do with all of the other variables...one of these would be miami being a fashion center and huge hub for latin america.

there are some other dimensions could win in though, but they aren't listed.
I agree with Grapico, you can't compare a city of Chicago's size to Miami, the population of the metro is nearly double of Miami's and the city population is nearly 6 times more.

Chicago is always either too big or to small to compare to other cities, it's bigger than Miami, Atlanta, Boston, Philadelphia, but smaller than NYC.
Although all of those cities have some things Chicago doesn't, but overall, it's a pretty unfair comparison.

Los Angeles just might be the only city you can compare to Chicago, because it's nearly around the same ball park for metro population and city proper population isn't that dramatically different for the two. But they're so different that they can cancel each other out in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
I'm not surprised if Miami gets bashed like 3739373037 times in this thread though. It's a young city especially compared to Chicago and it's still "under construction" shall I say. Chicago has a lot more history and it was developed longer ago than Miami. Both great cities IMO.
Hardly man, I'm a Chicagoan and I won't bash Miami. I already know how it feels to have your city bashed day and night on here. Los Angeles, Miami, Chicago take a lot of heat from everyone and get bashed so much. The North and South thing is natural, I don't consider Atlanta and Boston bashing each other out of the ordinary, that's expected with the level of immaturity on this site. But LA, Miami, and Chicago get bashed endlessly because people always want to put them down...

I'm playing fair, it's the right thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboy06 View Post
There is a ton of cities that are just like Miami in the world but, there is not one other city like Chicago.

Miami is overrated...
That's not true, there really isn't a replica of Miami anywhere. You can't name any other city that gives you the Caribbean feel and has every Latin America/Caribbean culture represented like that. NYC has a lot, but it's so diverse with other cultures from the world, that it doesn't feel like that.

To the OP, this really was a very unfair comparison for Miami. Chicago is a larger city.

1. NYC

2a. Los Angeles
2b. Chicago

For 3 and onward down the list, comes every other city. (Boston, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Miami, Houston, Dallas, etc...)

Last edited by DANNYY; 06-01-2010 at 05:36 PM..

Old 06-01-2010, 05:12 PM

OmShahi, usually I've taken your posts as fairly honest and unbiased but really? How in the world do you call Chicago cheaper housing costs? Chicago is more expensive than Miami in nearly every way.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:16 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
OmShahi, usually I've taken your posts as fairly honest and unbiased but really? How in the world do you call Chicago cheaper housing costs? Chicago is more expensive than Miami in nearly every way.
Downtown to Downtown, I think Chicago is cheaper than Miami right? I know about Chicago, but I don't know the exact cost for Miami. I've generally heard Miami is more expensive in downtown, and that's pretty much the only place I'll ever live as far as these two cities go, lol. As far as suburban places go, wouldn't Miami be more expensive and such? Naperville is fairly moderate in price (where my parents own a home).

Even in shopping, I know this one, Chicago is cheaper, but food is cheaper in Miami. Aghhh so many complications on this subtopic.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:18 PM

You live in downtown Chicago OmShahi?

Old 06-01-2010, 05:18 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post

The people of Miami are nicer, the place is safer, the prospects for economic growth are all there. Publix is the best supermarket I've been in anywhere in the nation. The girls are hot, the clubs are plentiful, the weather is great. Seriously Chicago? Better for what?

You make $10,000 more a year and have 2% less poverty than Miami and for that you live in a cold environment which means higher electric bills for heating, the highest sales tax in the nation, higher mortgage rates, some of the worst gangs in the nation, ~20 cents more to the gallon on gas and despite the better public transit you're still going to need that car in chicago and be dealing with even worse traffic than Miami.

Here check this out: Cost of Living comparison calculator
people nicer? eh... maybe
safer? eh...not so much
publix the best? wow feel kind of sad for you
girls hot yes
clubs yes
weather great? nto everbody likes 9 months of summer heat and humidity

who makes 10k more a year?

how about higher electric bills for AC, most heating in chicago is gas.
highest sales tax, wrong
higher mortgage rates....sure
both cities have gangs
you don't need a car ...a car is actually often a hassle in chicago.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:20 PM

Almost nothing is cheaper in Chicago, look at the link I posted. Here it is again
Cost of Living comparison calculator

Put in Moving from Chicago to Miami and look at the stuff. It might surprise you. You can take a 15% hit on income and live the same lifestyle in Miami. Not to mention the better weather means you don't need a summer and winter wardrobe unless you're really into high fashion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City