Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
Chicago, Illinois 197 66.78%
Miami, Florida 98 33.22%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 04:05 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yeah, the Lyric Theater is something they better not think of getting rid of. There's too much history in Overtown for the entire neighborhood to be destroyed.
Polo89? have you seen the how many highrises are going up in downtown Miami? Overtown is in the way and developers will steam roll over it.
It's days are numbered as to what used to be the heart of black Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 04:14 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Polo89? have you seen the how many highrises are going up in downtown Miami? Overtown is in the way and developers will steam roll over it.
It's days are numbered as to what used to be the heart of black Miami.
I doubt they steamroll Overtown, considering how much was spent gentrifying the area.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:21 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,363,075 times
Quote:
I doubt they steamroll Overtown, considering how much was spent gentrifying the area.
How much?

Old 03-25-2014, 04:29 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
How much?
I don't know the exact figure. But the city kept making strides towards fixing the neighborhood, and capitalizing on the historic connection the neighborhood has to the Non Black-Hispanic, Non-West Indian community of South Florida:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...63587204,d.cWc

Gentrification | Boom or Bust: Miami

Class-Divided Cities: Miami Edition - Richard Florida - The Atlantic Cities

It seems like everything they'll build will either be Historically significant, or economically significant to Overtown residents.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I don't know the exact figure. But the city kept making strides towards fixing the neighborhood, and capitalizing on the historic connection the neighborhood has to the Non Black-Hispanic, Non-West Indian community of South Florida:

It seems like everything they'll build will either be Historically significant, or economically significant to Overtown residents.
Thanks for the links! I'll check em out a little later.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:47 AM

13 posts, read 20,225 times
If I was offered the same job in either city, I would take Miami in a heartbeat. In Chicago, it's almost like people are depressed and in a cocoon for 6 months out of the year due to the unrelenting winters. "Spring" lasts for about 3 weeks, then the brutal, humid summer steps in. Average highs are in the upper 80s to lower 90s. Basically, Chicago gets the worst of every season. Miami is hot and humid in the summer, but at least you can go to the beach! (A REAL beach by the ocean, not a ****ty beach by a lake.) Miami winters are absolutely beautiful, perfect golfing weather.

Not to mention Chicago's taxes, world-renowned crime, miserable sports teams (besides the Blackhawks, but hockey sucks anyway), most corrupt politics in the country... I could go on. There's not really anything too great about Chicago besides its skyline.

Last edited by suptho; 04-04-2014 at 01:55 AM..

Old 04-04-2014, 07:05 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times
Chicago has more of that old school urban rust belt density while Miami is becoming a newer urban osasis but lacks the rustbelt characteristic you normally find up north. As for waterfront, I'd have to give Miami the edge on the beaches and Chicago for it's mountainous skyline that have taken over a century to build. Miami still has a long ways to go to catch up to Chicago's size. That's a crap load of skyscrapers, highrises and row homes. Miami would have to essentially go into Dubai mode but it doesn't do oil.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:11 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,213 times
I voted Miami. If you take the skyscrapers away from both cities, Miami is far more attractive with the intracoastal waterways, bayous, tropical feel. Highrises are not everything in a city.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suptho View Post
If I was offered the same job in either city, I would take Miami in a heartbeat. In Chicago, it's almost like people are depressed and in a cocoon for 6 months out of the year due to the unrelenting winters. "Spring" lasts for about 3 weeks, then the brutal, humid summer steps in. Average highs are in the upper 80s to lower 90s. Basically, Chicago gets the worst of every season. Miami is hot and humid in the summer, but at least you can go to the beach! (A REAL beach by the ocean, not a ****ty beach by a lake.) Miami winters are absolutely beautiful, perfect golfing weather.

Not to mention Chicago's taxes, world-renowned crime, miserable sports teams (besides the Blackhawks, but hockey sucks anyway), most corrupt politics in the country... I could go on. There's not really anything too great about Chicago besides its skyline.
Even with Chicago's supposedly miserable teams, they still end up getting better attendance than most Miami sports teams lol.

2013 NFL Football Attendance - National Football League - ESPN

2013-2014 NBA Attendance - National Basketball Association - ESPN

2013-2014 NHL Attendance - National Hockey League - ESPN

2013 MLB Attendance - Major League Baseball - ESPN

But the Heat and the Bulls are about neck-to-neck in terms of attendence PCT.

Last edited by LordHomunculus; 04-04-2014 at 08:38 AM..

Old 04-04-2014, 09:06 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:

Just read the articles. If 90 percent of the residents are renters like the article says then I'm assuming they can roll over overtown with success.

Renters are lunch to gentrifiers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City