Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
Chicago, Illinois 197 66.78%
Miami, Florida 98 33.22%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:37 PM

113 posts, read 296,903 times

Advertisements

Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 09:42 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
In 1985, the Dolphins beat the Bears to deny them a perfect season.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:55 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
In 1985, the Dolphins beat the Bears to deny them a perfect season.
Good stuff, Good Stuff.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:25 AM

994 posts, read 1,830,026 times
Two of my favorite cities in the country. I have to go with Chicago but, Miami is right behind. I am an urbanist that loves density, architecture, hustle and bustle, charming neighborhoods, like the cold, sports, and that's why Chicago takes it for me.

However I also love beaches, the oceans, hot muy caliente weather, latin people, tropical culture, crazy night life, hot people, which is why Miami is my second favorite city.

If I could I would live half the year in Chicago the other half in Miami and have a vacation home in Rio de Janeiro. That is my dream!

Old 06-17-2011, 01:38 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,156,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Two of my favorite cities in the country. I have to go with Chicago but, Miami is right behind. I am an urbanist that loves density, architecture, hustle and bustle, charming neighborhoods, like the cold, sports, and that's why Chicago takes it for me.

However I also love beaches, the oceans, hot muy caliente weather, latin people, tropical culture, crazy night life, hot people, which is why Miami is my second favorite city.

If I could I would live half the year in Chicago the other half in Miami and have a vacation home in Rio de Janeiro. That is my dream!
Perfect scenario!

Old 06-17-2011, 03:32 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,518,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post

Sounds pricey

Old 06-17-2011, 06:12 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Sounds pricey
not really, chicago is just as expensive if not more so than miami.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:16 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,975 times
The latin thing gets me.

I mean. Here in Chicago there's lots and lots of Mexicans. More Mexicans then there is in Miami. Yet Chicago is not Latin.

I remember a thread about the most latino city in the U.S. and Miami got lots of votes and L.A. did.

What exactly is latino? L.A. and Miami are both latin cities yet they are VERY differen't.
I wouldn't feel at home in Miami even though I am Latino.

This broad generilzation of latinos gets quite annoying.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:29 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,349 times
I moved from Chicago to LA and have family in South Florida. Miami is described as Latin, but Chicago and LA are more described as Latino/Hispanic.

Despite the correct meaning of the word "Latin," "Latin" now is used to denote Cuban, Dominican, Brazilian, Colombian, Venezuelan, i.e. all groups well represented in Miami. Plus Miami is really the only tropical major city in the US and it being close to the Carribean and parts of South America= Latin.

LA and Chicago are #1 and #2 respectively for Mexican population. In a lot of places, LA looks like a Mexican city; the broad streets and sidewalks, the multicolored low rise buildings, tons of signs in Spanish. Plus, there are broad massive swaths of LA city and LA County that are heavily Hispanic. Many suburbs of East LA are around 90% Hispanic.

Chicago feels like a Mexican city to an extent in several neighborhoods like Little Village and Pilsen and in some suburbs, but the weather and building style I think still makes it look like the Midwest/East Coast. Chicago is a lot smaller too so you move quickly thru the neighborhoods to different cultures.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:41 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
The latin thing gets me.

I mean. Here in Chicago there's lots and lots of Mexicans. More Mexicans then there is in Miami. Yet Chicago is not Latin.

I remember a thread about the most latino city in the U.S. and Miami got lots of votes and L.A. did.

What exactly is latino? L.A. and Miami are both latin cities yet they are VERY differen't.
I wouldn't feel at home in Miami even though I am Latino.

This broad generilzation of latinos gets quite annoying.
It's not so much putting all Latins under one umbrella, it's more about Latino diversity. Miami represents a broader range of Latinos, which pretty much gives it the "Latin City" title that it has. Mix that with the climate/architecture of most Latin-American cities, and I don't see why it shouldn't have that title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City