Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best downtown in Florida
Miami 35 54.69%
Tampa 7 10.94%
Orlando 5 7.81%
Jacksonville 2 3.13%
St. Pete 8 12.50%
Ft. Lauderdale 6 9.38%
Tallahassee 1 1.56%
Daytona Beach 0 0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 03:23 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Showing Venues in -

Downtown Gainesville:
sorry, but the left half of your "downtown gainesville" map is pretty much UF's campus. I wouldn't consider Plaza of the Americas downtown, nor the bars along university ave across from campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 03:43 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,697,701 times
Downtown Gainesville:

Google Maps

Downtown Orlando:

Google Maps

What do you guys think has more to offer?

Old 06-06-2010, 03:52 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,212,871 times
Unbiased and having been to both, Downtown Orlando.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:57 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,061,549 times
Downtown Orlando has more to offer. But its not as good or as fun as Gainesville IMO

Old 06-06-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Downtown Orlando has more to offer. But its not as good or as fun as Gainesville IMO
That is respected.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
That is respected.
That's really all I ever said:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...florida-2.html

I didn't say it had more than anything I just said it has better. I didn't include the words IN MY OPINION because any time you talk about something being the best its always IN YOUR OPINION.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I believe that you prefer Gainesville over Orlando. Thats cool. I never said your opinion was wrong. But if you read my opening post I said to rank downtowns in FL based on several different things..

Here is what I said: "By downtown I don't mean skyline. The skyline can be a factor but I'm looking for more than just that, like neighborhoods, restaurants, night life, shopping, venues, arts/culture, etc.."

And then you ranked Gainesville over Orlando. I just don't get how thats possible.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I believe that you prefer Gainesville over Orlando. Thats cool. I never said your opinion was wrong. But if you read my opening post I said to rank downtowns in FL based on several different things..

Here is what I said: "By downtown I don't mean skyline. The skyline can be a factor but I'm looking for more than just that, like neighborhoods, restaurants, night life, shopping, venues, arts/culture, etc.."

And then you ranked Gainesville over Orlando. I just don't get how thats possible.
Gainesville has no skyline or venues.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:42 PM

Well I think the night life in Orlando sucks. There is almost no shopping in downtown. The art scene isn't in downtown. And I like the overall atmosphere/vibe better in Gainesville which is what I take culture to mean. I don't know why neighborhoods is a factor because we're only talking about downtowns so neighborhoods shouldn't even be considered. Restaurants I find nothing spectacular inside of downtown Orlando.

If this were entire metros or even cities I'd give it to Orlando on almost all categories, possibly on all categories, but there's really not all that much in Downtown Orlando to do. Its predominately a financial district that becomes nightclubs at night.

downtown orlando vs gainesville
neighborhoods: tie since its all downtown
restaurants: tie neither one has any spectacular restaurants
night life: gainesville
shopping: tie neither one has any shopping... is there a single clothing store in downtown Orlando?
venues: orlando has an ampitheater, citrus bowl, and amway
arts/culture: hands down Gainesville has better underground arts and music than downtown. The underground scene is in College Park and Winter Park.
(etc) atmosphere/people: Gainesville by far, so much more laid back and friendly

Old 06-06-2010, 10:10 PM

Downtown Orlando vs Gainesville

Neighborhoods: Orlando, thorton park, Lake Eola, delany park etc (downtown orlando neighborhoods) http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...75.64,,0,-2.26 http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...180.95,,0,2.08 better than anything I've seen in downtown gainesville.

restaurants: Orlando, much larger which gives it a wider variety, and nicer restaurants.

night life: Orlando, based on what I've seen. Bigger night clubs. Not just bars. A HUGE underground local music scene in downtown Orlando.

Shopping: tie, but new developments are starting to come in under 55 west, and that may soon change.

Venues: Orlando, Amway, bob carr PAC, citrus bowl, ampitheater. State of the art amway center is opening in fall and new state of the art preforming arts center will break ground this fall.

Arts/culture: Orlando by a land slide.

(etc) amenities: Orlando, Library, parks, grocery store, etc..

I would do "people/atmosphere" but you can't rank ppl, thats more of a personal preference.

Last edited by GLS2010; 06-06-2010 at 10:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City