Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:23 AM

202 posts, read 367,996 times

Advertisements

I started a thread in the Pittsburgh forum to start a discussion regarding "Cleveburgh." Thought I'd share the link to get some thoughts from the Cleveland side of things!

//www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...leveburgh.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 09:32 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,889 times
I don't have anything to contribute to this thread since I've only been to Pittsburgh once for a Pirates game and didn't get to see any of the city really, but I just wanted to say I appreciate your Cleveland support. I've seen you post in other threads and you have a lot of great things to say about the city. It's refreshing to see someone my age who sees the good in Cleveland and isn't saying "I can't wait to get out!". I go up to Cleveland often for sporting events (Browns, Cavs, Indians) and want to move there. YEAH CLEVELAND!

Old 05-31-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
I don't have anything to contribute to this thread since I've only been to Pittsburgh once for a Pirates game and didn't get to see any of the city really, but I just wanted to say I appreciate your Cleveland support. I've seen you post in other threads and you have a lot of great things to say about the city. It's refreshing to see someone my age who sees the good in Cleveland and isn't saying "I can't wait to get out!". I go up to Cleveland often for sporting events (Browns, Cavs, Indians) and want to move there. YEAH CLEVELAND!
Thanks for the kind words! And glad to hear you'll be moving into the city. We young folks are going to take over and make it a thriving, kick-ass town (even more so than it already is, of course). Where do you plan on moving? Anything I can do to help?

Rivalry aside, I do suggest taking the time to explore Pittsburgh. Pirates games were my only experiences in the 'Burgh prior to this past weekend. We only stand to gain by working together, improving the quality of life in each city and those in between rather than isolating from one another.

Cheers!

Old 06-01-2011, 08:28 AM
TRH

24 posts, read 34,786 times
I've lived in the Cleveland suburbs for a few years through 2007. I know both cities well. Both are very nice, despite any preceding reputation. Here's some of my thoughts:

Cleveland
-slightly better music scene
-slightly better dining scene
-easier to maneuver the city highways from point A to point B
-one of the easiest large cities in America to just drive right into downtown
-the business community acts "holier than thou". Alot of "attitude" that you don't get elsewhere. I've never understood this.
-need to gain control of local govt. the corruption is unbelievable. Also have to go through ridiculous amounts of red tape for private owned business
-terrible crime in the close burbs right next to downtown (east side, etc..). Every city has this to a point, but its downright frightening. The city needs to make a MAJOR move to control this lawlessness.
-great medical care

Pittsburgh
-prettiest skyline in America. Beautiful downtown
-hockey and football are huge here. Baseball owners need (should be forced by the city..) to sell the team with someone who has some $$$$
-very friendly people
-if you know the local roads and highways, you're good. If not, can be awful confusing to someone new or visiting
-a very "green" city. Lots of trees/plants etc
-the revitalization of the city. The old "smoky, dirty" city is gone. Very clean now. Definitely a cleaner city than Cleveland.
-some of the suburbs are expensive to live in.
-great medical care

Those are just a few quick thoughts that immediately come to mind. Both cities have quite a few similarities, but are quite different. Both very nice places to live.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:40 AM

For the most part I would agree with your assessment... However, I didn't find Pittsburgh to be cleaner than Cleveland. In fact, there's an ongoing thread in the Pittsburgh forum complaining about how dirty it is!

Downtown was clean (as is Cleveland's), but trash littered the streets in the Strip District and in some of the neighborhoods we walked. I found our Ohio City, Tremont areas to be far cleaner. Just my observation!

Old 06-01-2011, 10:32 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEJoe View Post
Thanks for the kind words! And glad to hear you'll be moving into the city. We young folks are going to take over and make it a thriving, kick-ass town (even more so than it already is, of course). Where do you plan on moving? Anything I can do to help?

Rivalry aside, I do suggest taking the time to explore Pittsburgh. Pirates games were my only experiences in the 'Burgh prior to this past weekend. We only stand to gain by working together, improving the quality of life in each city and those in between rather than isolating from one another.

Cheers!
Hey man, I don't mean to hijack your thread even more but I appreciate the offer to help. Right now I'm just applying to jobs hoping to gain an interview. If a job offer comes sometime, I'll be sure to contact you for any advice. You seem to know a lot about the city, so that would be great! Thanks!

And yeah, I definitely want to visit Pittsburgh again sometime and actually explore more of the city. Although I hate the Steelers, they sure have a beautiful city lol. Seems like a great town with lots to do.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Hey man, I don't mean to hijack your thread even more but I appreciate the offer to help. Right now I'm just applying to jobs hoping to gain an interview. If a job offer comes sometime, I'll be sure to contact you for any advice. You seem to know a lot about the city, so that would be great! Thanks!

And yeah, I definitely want to visit Pittsburgh again sometime and actually explore more of the city. Although I hate the Steelers, they sure have a beautiful city lol. Seems like a great town with lots to do.
No worries! I really am happy to help. Just feel free to DM me and I can send you my email.

I love traveling and checking out as many cities as possible. I've come to discover that I prefer smaller cities, so Pittsburgh was right up my alley. That said, I still prefer Cleveland!

Cheers!

Old 06-05-2011, 10:56 AM
TRH

24 posts, read 34,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEJoe View Post
For the most part I would agree with your assessment... However, I didn't find Pittsburgh to be cleaner than Cleveland. In fact, there's an ongoing thread in the Pittsburgh forum complaining about how dirty it is!

Downtown was clean (as is Cleveland's), but trash littered the streets in the Strip District and in some of the neighborhoods we walked. I found our Ohio City, Tremont areas to be far cleaner. Just my observation!

i see what you're saying. But thats not quite a fair assessment. I've lived in Cleveland, and instead of going to Tremont, all you have to do is go slightly east toward Euclid Ave in downtown or a bunch of other different areas close to downtown such as close proximity to the downtown market and you'll also find stuff littered all over.
To be fair what you would do is instead go to somewhere like Shadyside right outside downtown and you'll find incredibly cleansliness, botiques, etc. You're kind of comparing apples and oranges.
In all, i think we're both right for the most part. Both cities are fairly clean for their size and very comparable in the "clean" department.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:46 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
In Pictures: The World's Cleanest Cities - Forbes.com

Old 06-07-2011, 09:51 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,416,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
LOL

If you think Forbes has any relevance to Clevelanders, think again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: