Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:04 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,463,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali1976 View Post
It's not to be taken literally. I'm implying that the difference in reputation (and quality of students) is probably larger than the rankings imply. Though only 37 spots divide Stanford or Harvard and CWRU, the difference in quality and reputation of the schools is MUCH farther than between CWRU and whatever school is ranked 74.
They made the rankings to gauge quality and reputation. The distance between 1 and 37 is 36 places. The difference between 37 and 73 is 36 places.

I'm really shocked that you haven't even thought to make the argument that the rankings are meaningless. This is exactly the route I'd go, to play Devil's advocate a bit. You could say that since nobody has gone to all of these schools, nobody is really in the position to judge them, rendering them useless numbers, good only for public relations. You could argue that "repuation" and quality are completely different and do not always go hand in hand.

Come on, I'm doing this for you! You're not even a good debater.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:15 PM

79 posts, read 144,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
They made the rankings to gauge quality and reputation. The distance between 1 and 37 is 36 places. The difference between 37 and 73 is 36 places.

I'm really shocked that you haven't even thought to make the argument that the rankings are meaningless. This is exactly the route I'd go, to play Devil's advocate a bit. You could say that since nobody has gone to all of these schools, nobody is really in the position to judge them, rendering them useless numbers, good only for public relations. You could argue that "repuation" and quality are completely different and do not always go hand in hand.

Come on, I'm doing this for you! You're not even a good debater.
I'm not sure what there is to debate. CWRU is a middle tier regional private university. The rankings aren't meaningless. They're very meaningful. Top ranked schools attract other very smart people and lots of resources and connections that prove very valuable. A place with more smart people people and resources tends to be more economically vibrant than a place that does not. Hence my previous statement regarding St. Louis, Baltimore and Pittsburgh being on slightly higher planes than Cleveland, Detroit and Buffalo. The three sisters!

Old 01-09-2014, 10:29 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,074,066 times
Quote:
Uhhhh #37 isn't that great
When you're talking about hundreds of schools, it's pretty good.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:41 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,463,801 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what there is to debate. CWRU is a middle tier regional private university. The rankings aren't meaningless. They're very meaningful. Top ranked schools attract other very smart people and lots of resources and connections that prove very valuable. A place with more smart people people and resources tends to be more economically vibrant than a place that does not. Hence my previous statement regarding St. Louis, Baltimore and Pittsburgh being on slightly higher planes than Cleveland, Detroit and Buffalo. The three sisters!
You love speaking generally, so much so, as to render almost every qualification for anything useless. Whenever pressed to be specific, you get even more general. This is a useless matter. You are probably the least persuasive of any member of this forum. This is quite an accomplishment. Cheers.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:46 AM

4,671 posts, read 4,984,341 times
Quote:
You seem to be having a great time here. Good for you.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
You seem to be having a great time here. Good for you.
I am. Happy Friday! What's cookin' over in Coventry?

Old 01-10-2014, 05:20 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,131,436 times
Quote:
I am. Happy Friday! What's cookin' over in Coventry?
Coventry? What could a hip urban neighborhood POSSIBLY have to offer? What with all the gangsters, rapists, boarded building that are so plaguing the area. All the cool kids are at Legacy Village and Crocker Park tonight.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Coventry? What could a hip urban neighborhood POSSIBLY have to offer? All the cool kids are at Legacy Village and Crocker Park tonight.
The funny (sad) part about your comment, is that when Bar Louie opened, I'd imagine Coventry saw a 30% drop in visitors

Old 01-10-2014, 05:26 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,131,436 times
Quote:
The funny (sad) part about your comment, is that when Bar Louie opened, I'd imagine Coventry saw a 30% drop in visitors
Again, your imagination has nothing to do with facts. You should really think about using, you know, evidence to make your determinations.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Again, your imagination has nothing to do with facts. You should really think about using, you know, evidence to make your determinations.
That's true. The decline in traffic is probably due to overall population loss (re: your comment about boarded up houses, 2 serial killers in East Cleveland, kidnappings near Ohio City, etc). I editorialized, but you get the drift
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland