Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 01:18 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Have you considered Lake County?
Perhaps at least explore the side streets off Lloyd Road in Willowick if you want to remain closer to Cleveland, but want access to Laketran Dial-a-Ride service. I'm not certain of the municipal/county boundary between Euclid and Willowick in the Lloyd Road area. Perhaps west of Lloyd is Euclid and east is Willowick? Likely if I zoomed in on a Google map I could figure it out, but it's something you should understand with certainty if exploring in that nice, convenient (to Route 2, I-90, I-271 and to Shoregate shopping on Lakeshore AND Mentor's massive retail offerings) neighborhood.

Use the Route 2 Vine Street exit and head east across the Chagrin River bridge to access Mentor retail areas on Mentor Ave. (Route 20). There's a BJ's Wholesale Club in Willoughby. There are clusters of shopping just north of the Route 2/Route 615 intersection and several big box stores (Sam's Club, Home Depot, Menard's) on Diamond Centre Drive just south of the Heisley Road exit of Route 2. Check these areas out before making your housing decision. Also perhaps drive south on I-271 to the Beachwood Mall/Legacy Village upscale shopping district.

Personally, I would want to understand the distance from Holden Arboretum and the great Lake Metroparks in the Kirtland area as well as the Cleveland Metroparks North Chagrin Reservation on Route 91 south of I-90, as well as to Mentor Headlands beach and the dunes nature preserve there.

Definitely check out Sims Park in Euclid and the new lakeshore trail that heads east from there. See post 32.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...id-like-4.html

Willowick has relatively new housing developments adjacent to Shoregate Town Center, but I'm not familiar with them or the prices there. There are very nice, older, cheaper neighborhoods south of Lakeshore and just east of Route 91 (and perhaps east of Vine Street) in Willowick. There's a super Wal-Mart off Vine Street.

Dial-a-Ride is a godsend for many elderly residents in Lake County, especially those who can't drive. The level of personal service and care is outstanding. I took it one early morning to the Cleveland Clinic on the day of a surgery for which I would be hospitalized for a few days (no need to worry about parking or finding the surgery center; I was delivered to the front door). I was very impressed when the shuttle driver went inside an apartment building to get a veteran who was going to the VA Center but apparently was running late/not aware the shuttle had arrived. I wouldn't be surprised if the shuttle drivers carried groceries when needed. It's a very unique mass transit service. The shuttles are equipped with lifts for wheel chairs/disabled individuals.

Last edited by WRnative; 09-08-2021 at 01:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2021, 09:25 AM

1,304 posts, read 854,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
North of Lakeshore is great. But people don't sell those homes very often. Anyway, I am bullish on Euclid. There is a lot going for it.
Seriously, OP, if you can drive, I would look for something in Euclid. Housing prices are lower and it is a quick drive to all of the shopping in Mentor/Willowick etc. There are a couple of buses that run here to the Shoregate shopping center in Willowick/Eastgate. There is NOT a lot of shopping in Euclid itself....I do pretty much all shopping, including grocery shopping (Giant Eagle) in either Willoughby or Willowick. I really wish whoever is in charge of Euclid amenities would work harder at improving what is here! There are improvements underway in terms of the park(s) here, which should be nice. But "downtown" Euclid is pretty much nothing.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Seriously, OP, if you can drive, I would look for something in Euclid. Housing prices are lower and it is a quick drive to all of the shopping in Mentor/Willowick etc. There are a couple of buses that run here to the Shoregate shopping center in Willowick/Eastgate. There is NOT a lot of shopping in Euclid itself....I do pretty much all shopping, including grocery shopping (Giant Eagle) in either Willoughby or Willowick. I really wish whoever is in charge of Euclid amenities would work harder at improving what is here! There are improvements underway in terms of the park(s) here, which should be nice. But "downtown" Euclid is pretty much nothing.
There's a more-than-normally scroungy Marc's on Lakeshore in Euclid. There's also an Aldi in Shore Center. Between those two stores, I could do a lot of my grocery shopping, especially for produce and staples. They both are much cheaper than Giant Eagle and often have better produce, especially Marc's.

I've never been in the Dave's on Shore Center Drive. Isn't it cheaper than Giant Eagle? What don't you like about Dave's?

Euclid has a Home Depot on 200th St. near I-90.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:44 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
I don't really shop in Euclid either, but Willoughby and Mentor are 15/20 minutes away. I prefer just going out there to shop and then come back here for life.

Euclid Creek, Sims Park are great to have in the city. There is also soon going to be some type of park right in downtown Euclid. I think the city has done a good job positioning itself for the future. I actually just met a 30 something couple that just moved from Lakewood to Euclid, citing much better prices, similar lake access, and more room while still being very close to things.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
There's a more-than-normally scroungy Marc's on Lakeshore in Euclid. There's also an Aldi in Shore Center. Between those two stores, I could do a lot of my grocery shopping, especially for produce and staples. They both are much cheaper than Giant Eagle and often have better produce, especially Marc's.

I've never been in the Dave's on Shore Center Drive. Isn't it cheaper than Giant Eagle? What don't you like about Dave's?

I don't like Dave's because there aren't all that many truly organic or "real" foods there. Heinen's is way better, tastier, and only 15 minutes away in Willoughby, so I have switched completely to that.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I don't like Dave's because there aren't all that many truly organic or "real" foods there. Heinen's is way better, tastier, and only 15 minutes away in Willoughby, so I have switched completely to that.
Thanks for the explanation! Have you ever tried the organic offerings at Aldi?

Old 09-09-2021, 08:05 AM

1,304 posts, read 854,626 times
Quote:

IDK, really....everything in that area just seems sort of run down and dingy. That's what I mean when I say that I wish the PTB in Euclid would make more of an effort to improve the area...especially retail. The little shops along the main drag might be nice, but the trees in front make it impossible to tell what is even there. A little facade improvement work might go a long way. I do like the Marc's that is in the same parking lot as Giant Eagle and do go there for some produce. Aldi's seem to vary considerably by location. Some are clean, neat and well-stocked, others not so much. I guess I'm just a West Coast snob!

Old 09-09-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Aldi's seem to vary considerably by location.
I regularly shop in the ALDI stores in Mentor and Painesville Township. Both are very similar. I was in the Euclid ALDI once, and it didn't appear much different. Ditto, the ALDI at Eastgate.

I notice a much greater difference between Marc's stores. E.g., the one in Painesville Township has a bigger deli selection, especially cheeses, than the one in Mentor.

Old 09-09-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
IDK, really....everything in that area just seems sort of run down and dingy. That's what I mean when I say that I wish the PTB in Euclid would make more of an effort to improve the area...especially retail. The little shops along the main drag might be nice, but the trees in front make it impossible to tell what is even there. A little facade improvement work might go a long way. I do like the Marc's that is in the same parking lot as Giant Eagle and do go there for some produce. Aldi's seem to vary considerably by location. Some are clean, neat and well-stocked, others not so much. I guess I'm just a West Coast snob!
The Dave's on Lakeshore in Collinwood is pretty miserable.

I wish downtown Euclid all more resembled this the block from 218th to 222nd. I don't like how strip mally and parking heavy Shore Center is.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:16 AM

210 posts, read 173,639 times
Quote:
Can't give you more cred at this time, but wanted to let you know this IMO is by far your best post ever, and you've had many great, thought-provoking posts.

Given what I know of SH housing inspectors, your observations about illegal units/rooms are surprising. Have you considered raising the issue with the mayor or councilpersons, perhaps anonymously if retaliation/alienating neighbors is a concern?

Why are attic bedrooms dangerous if wired properly and if connected smoke/fire alarms are installed? My grandfather was a master carpenter and built his retirement home with an attic bedroom for the visiting kids (the master and guest rooms were on the main floor).

Thank you WR....very kind.

From what I've been told, they've had a big turnover in SH housing inspectors and they are not somewhat hit or miss. From what I've been told, the illegal apartments have been brought to the city, but it's my understanding there are several 'heavy hitter' property owners that put pressure on the city to look the other way. Now, whether or not that's true, I have no idea. But you make a fair point, now that I am a taxpaying member of the city, wouldn't hurt to bring it up again.

Per building code, dwelling units are to be self contained and connected by internal stairwells. I'm not a fire nor code expert, but I would suspect that main stairwells (connecting apartments in multi unit buildings) are somewhat of a fire chase (which is why fire safety always reminds one to check the heat of the door before opening it). So, you want a clear exit from the entirety of the unit to the public stairs.

And in many attic units that I viewed, one exited the 2nd floor unit and took the public stairwell (not self contained in the unit) up to the 3rd floor....this layout is normally because there is not enough space at the top of of the stairs (at the 2nd floor) to have a landing OUTSIDE the door (at the top of the stair) and a landing inside the door (which would be the landing connecting the 2nd and 3rd floors via the interior stairwell) So folks step outside their 2nd floor unit, climb the stairs, and enter the 3rd bedroom at the top of the public stairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland