Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 05:24 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
Technically they said there's no reason to move to Cleveland unless you have a great job lined up or family ties to the area. And I think that's a fair statement...for most of the country.

Outside of a handful of major American cities (New York, Frisco, LA...maybe Boston?) the overwhelming majority of American relocation is motivated mainly by careers. The major exception would be retirees...which it's pretty funny to think of someone moving to Cleveland for retirement.
II think you got it kinda backwards. People move to those big cities almost exclusively for careers. People move to Cleveland and other cities more for family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 06:08 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times
Quote:
Technically they said there's no reason to move to Cleveland unless you have a great job lined up or family ties to the area. And I think that's a fair statement...for most of the country.

Outside of a handful of major American cities (New York, Frisco, LA...maybe Boston?) the overwhelming majority of American relocation is motivated mainly by careers. The major exception would be retirees...which it's pretty funny to think of someone moving to Cleveland for retirement.
Yet there are several posters on this forum who have moved or are desiring to move to Cleveland for retirement.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:24 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,488,459 times
Quote:

I had a neighbor who moved to Youngstown for retirement. I can't imagine that would be much different than retiring to Cleveland.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I had a neighbor who moved to Youngstown for retirement. I can't imagine that would be much different than retiring to Cleveland.
Cleveland has a much more robust cultural, pro sports and culinary scene, although the excellent Butler Institute of American Art is located in Youngstown.

Greater Cleveland also offers Lake Erie beaches, habitats and vistas.

The cost of lodging and living may be less in Youngstown.

Youngstown may get less snow, especially compared to the eastern snow belt region of Greater Cleveland. The temperature moderating effect of Lake Erie won't be pronounced in Youngstown. E.g., Youngstown often is more hot in the summer than locations closer to Lake Erie. Similarly, spring temperatures last longer nearer Lake Erie, and autumns are extended as the warm Lake Erie acts as a giant heater for areas downwind of the lake.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:35 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,488,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Cleveland has a much more robust cultural, pro sports and culinary scene, although the excellent Butler Institute of American Art is located in Youngstown.

Greater Cleveland also offers Lake Erie beaches, habitats and vistas.

The cost of lodging and living may be less in Youngstown.

Youngstown may get less snow, especially compared to the eastern snow belt region of Greater Cleveland. The temperature moderating effect of Lake Erie won't be pronounced in Youngstown. E.g., Youngstown often is more hot in the summer than locations closer to Lake Erie. Similarly, spring temperatures last longer nearer Lake Erie, and autumns are extended as the warm Lake Erie acts as a giant heater for areas downwind of the lake.
I could argue some of your specific points, but I won't, because they are beside the point. I will say that of course Cleveland is going to have more stuff than Youngstown; the Cleveland MSA is 4-5 times larger than the Youngstown MSA. But, they are both rust-belt cities, so the look and feel of one's day-to-day life will be similar.

Anyway, my point was to reinforce the fact that people do move to NE Ohio for retirement. I neglected to mention this in my last post, but the guy who moved to my previous Youngstown neighborhood came from Florida. (just saying, so someone doesn't think he came here from somewhere with worse weather)

Old 07-27-2015, 11:25 AM

152 posts, read 174,094 times
I get anxiety daily over this weather talk. Sometimes I want to tell hubby not to take the job in this area if he gets it because of the weather! The reason I want to move is better schools for my children and if hubby get this job it would be good experience for him as well. I know there are other positives to the area, but weather is a huge factor to consider because it is so drastic up there (winters), I have lived in the north, I know what it's like. And if there are snow days, my husband and I are going to have to juggle our work schedules to see who will stay home with the kids, something we have never had to worry about living in the deep south. It's a little disappointing because there are only so many areas we are willing to move with husband's job, and it may take another 2 yrs before something comes available again. Just venting, thanks!

Last edited by MamaBear999; 07-27-2015 at 12:13 PM..

Old 07-27-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear999 View Post
I get anxiety daily over this weather talk. Sometimes I want to tell hubby not to take the job in this area if he gets it because of the weather! The reason I want to move is better schools for my children and if hubby get this job it would be good experience for him as well. I know there are other positives to the area, but weather is a huge factor to consider because it is so drastic up there (winters), I have lived in the north, I know what it's like. And if there are snow days, my husband and I are going to have to juggle are work schedules to see who will stay home with the kids, something we have never had to worry about living in the deep south. It's a little disappointing because there are only so many areas we are willing to move with husband's job, and it may take another 2 yrs before something comes available again. Just venting, thanks!
I would call the schools and ask about snow days, which actually more typically, especially in the western suburbs outside the snow belt, are "cold and wind" days. I have a hunch that Ys, rec centers, churches, etc., have snow day programs. It becomes a non-issue once the kids are sufficiently old to be at home alone (5th grade?, although it varies by kid).

It's funny. I don't consider our winters "drastic." Almost all storms are cleared so rapidly, and winter clothes are so great today, the only big hassle is clearing personal driveways and walks, which are great tasks for older kids and certainly there are many services. So many days of winter are gorgeous and great fun. Of course, it becomes important to slow down and be more careful when driving or walking especially when "black ice" is a risk.

Winter is a bigger hassle if you don't have covered parking for your cars.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:43 PM

338 posts, read 559,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I don't consider our winters "drastic."
Don't tell me that you didn't move here from Antartica?

Old 07-27-2015, 01:30 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,390,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear999 View Post
I get anxiety daily over this weather talk. Sometimes I want to tell hubby not to take the job in this area if he gets it because of the weather! The reason I want to move is better schools for my children and if hubby get this job it would be good experience for him as well. I know there are other positives to the area, but weather is a huge factor to consider because it is so drastic up there (winters), I have lived in the north, I know what it's like. And if there are snow days, my husband and I are going to have to juggle our work schedules to see who will stay home with the kids, something we have never had to worry about living in the deep south. It's a little disappointing because there are only so many areas we are willing to move with husband's job, and it may take another 2 yrs before something comes available again. Just venting, thanks!
if you have anxiety now on CLE winter weather just wait until Jan/Feb . You'll be telling yourself 'I told you so'..

Old 07-27-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deskjockey View Post
Don't tell me that you didn't move here from Antartica?
In most recent years, Boston winters have been much more severe than those in Cleveland. Would you tell persons there to flee??? Unlike Boston, we haven't run out of places to dump snow!

When I think of drastic winters, places like North Dakota and Minnesota pop into my mind, although I don't think MN winters have been as severe either in recent years.

What's great about NE Ohio, compared to many regions further south, is that we know how to handle snow and other winter weather. That makes life much easier.

E.g., sidewalk plows make it very easy to get out and take a walk.

I don't understand persons who don't like some attribute of an area, but somehow continue to live in that area. Worse, they try to impose their values on others and belittle those who disagree with them. Again, very, very sad.

In recent years, we've had very little snow in December. Last year, we had a big snow storm around Thanksgiving, then very little snow until January. With global warming, winters in northeast Ohio definitely seem to be getting shorter.

If MamaBear does end up in Brecksville, it will be interesting to see what she thinks of our winters after a year or two. If her kids like the outdoors, or if any family members enjoy photography, I have hunch she'll conclude the move was worthwhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland