Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 02:03 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,323,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
The city's population is still in decline, though. The "improvements" to the city are 100% gentrification-driven. I suppose if one sees the displacement of "the poors" out to the suburbs while the rich move back in from the suburbs to be a good thing, then that's the case for us. I just view it as "shuffling" the same amount of people around.
Cities need influxes of high-income people in order to bring in enough revenue to run things without raising taxes to an unacceptable level. You can't support the poor without the rich. That's why I'm pro-gentrification even though it means I can no longer afford a place to live in the neighborhood I grew up in.

Last edited by andrew61; 04-25-2019 at 03:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 04:02 PM

227 posts, read 198,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Cities need influxes of high-income people in order to bring in enough revenue to run things without raising taxes to an unacceptable level. You can't support the poor without the rich. That's why I'm pro-gentrification even though it means I can no longer afford a place to live in the neighborhood I grew up in.
Brother, that is not true. Well it's true in the sense that is what you're seeing across the nation. But you don't need gentrification to sustain a city and certainly the extreme bifurcation we're seeing isn't sustainable or "good". Gentrification is a reflection of volatility - rapid/deep decay followed by rapid/profound growth.

I just got back from SF. It's horrible what's happening there.

Now... what's more likely to happen in Cleveland? The city get's it's together and creates an amazing cross-sector plan to gradually uplift and rebuild deeply impoverished neighborhoods through intelligent development planning and increasing access to economic and educational opportunities, keeping folks in place? Or the city plays whack-a-mole with corporations and neighborhoods slowly die off and then get gentrified? Not sure that's really gentrification anyways.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:20 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,446,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueysBack View Post
Brother, that is not true. Well it's true in the sense that is what you're seeing across the nation. But you don't need gentrification to sustain a city and certainly the extreme bifurcation we're seeing isn't sustainable or "good". Gentrification is a reflection of volatility - rapid/deep decay followed by rapid/profound growth.

I just got back from SF. It's horrible what's happening there.

Now... what's more likely to happen in Cleveland? The city get's it's together and creates an amazing cross-sector plan to gradually uplift and rebuild deeply impoverished neighborhoods through intelligent development planning and increasing access to economic and educational opportunities, keeping folks in place? Or the city plays whack-a-mole with corporations and neighborhoods slowly die off and then get gentrified? Not sure that's really gentrification anyways.
Just curious, what's happening in SF? How is it different from when you grew up there?

Old 04-25-2019, 04:46 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,044,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueysBack View Post
Part of it is certainly self-branding and the national media buying into the hype. But it's not all fluff and hype, there is some real substance behind it.

Pittsburgh's urban bones are arguably better and trends (nationally) are moving towards urbanity vs the suburban shift of the past. Sure, Pittsburgh's pop loss has been similar (worse actually) than Cleveland's. But their GDP has continuously grown at a healthy rate, whereas Cleveland's tumbled heavily during the recession and it's return to growth has been a fair bit slower.

And to round out those points, their shift to a "modern economy" happened much earlier and was much more substantive. Not sure Cleveland has really "shifted", honestly. Carnegie Mellon in conjunction with the city, county and state, pushed heavily in a concerted effort towards ed-tech and it's paid off handsomely.

Carnegie Mellon University Creates $2.7 Billion in Economic Impact Each Year
Why Google, Uber, and Facebook Are Flocking to This Quiet Rust Belt City

Crime stats are worse for Cleveland. Poverty and per capita income stats are worse. Education stats are worse.

I still think Cleveland has immense potential. The layout of the metro area is great. It's more diverse than PIT. It's flanked by a really great park system. And... of course... we have the lake.
Yeah, I always loved their hills though, particularly downtown. I wish Cleveland made better use of the views on the east side of the Valley at the I-480 bridge.

As for population loss, +/- 5k isn't going to upset me, not one iota. If you're holding your breath for a sustained increase in population, don't do that. We have a lot of good options in front of us, the chance to clean up our environment, collect and conserve land, build a more sustainable community. I like a lot of the progress we've been making, particularly in conservation of land in NEO. That's really difficult and expensive if people are moving in OR if the perception is that the CSA is growing or about to grow.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:42 PM

14,024 posts, read 15,037,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
Yeah, I always loved their hills though, particularly downtown. I wish Cleveland made better use of the views on the east side of the Valley at the I-480 bridge.

As for population loss, +/- 5k isn't going to upset me, not one iota. If you're holding your breath for a sustained increase in population, don't do that. We have a lot of good options in front of us, the chance to clean up our environment, collect and conserve land, build a more sustainable community. I like a lot of the progress we've been making, particularly in conservation of land in NEO. That's really difficult and expensive if people are moving in OR if the perception is that the CSA is growing or about to grow.
Only literally none of that is happening because most of the loss is moving to the suburban counties which are all barely growing (eg Cleveland is sprawling)

Old 04-25-2019, 06:20 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,463,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Only literally none of that is happening because most of the loss is moving to the suburban counties which are all barely growing (eg Cleveland is sprawling)
But they are barely growing. So it's barely sprawling. Which was the point. Duh.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Disagree. Cleveland is sprawling like pretty much every other community in the USA, but to a much lesser extent. Much of what I stated is happening. Golf courses are closing and being purchased or given to the metropolitan park districts. I know of 4. Check out the western reserve land conservancy for the amount of land development rights that have been turned over. https://www.wrlandconservancy.org. Cleveland metroparks had one of its largest land gains last year.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:24 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,463,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
Disagree. Cleveland is sprawling like pretty much every other community in the USA, but to a much lesser extent. Much of what I stated is happening. Golf courses are closing and being purchased or given to the metropolitan park districts. I know of 4. Check out the western reserve land conservancy for the amount of land development rights that have been turned over. https://www.wrlandconservancy.org. Cleveland metroparks had one of its largest land gains last year.
Metroparks have been doing great work in conservation. Anyone with basic internet search skills could have found that out.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:31 PM

One other point. Imagine the difference in land conservation efforts between Dallas and Cleveland. Dallas metro is adding about 125k people per year, and that's been going on for most of the last 5 decades (not all at the rate of 125k/year though.) Imagine the housing product that has to come on the market to allow for that, particularly when you realize that Dallas housing costs are very reasonable. The fact is you have to have a housing machine that is gobbling land and producing the "American dream" in large quantity.

Parks in Dallas are only in places where the developers do not want to go, which means for the most part, they are NOT where the people are living.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:33 PM

14,024 posts, read 15,037,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
But they are barely growing. So it's barely sprawling. Which was the point. Duh.
The growth that is happening is very land inefficient. The Suburban counties gained about 4,000 residents while the center lost 4500. And I’d bet the built up areas of Cuyahoga County lost more than the less urban parts as is the pattern across the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland