Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 10:19 AM

227 posts, read 198,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Cleveland should be a city for families imo. A huge reason for "gentrification" is simply people don't have kids, so they have a ton more money to spend on any number of things, including ridiculous rents that nobody with 2 or 3 kids would ever consider paying. I don't think Cleveland should really be trying to attract 27 year old single people who will pay 2k for a studio. There needs to be decent cities for educated yet humble folks to be able to raise kids. Why not Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee etc? We have plenty of pretentious cities on the coasts as it is.
100%. One of the challenges, however, is how do you create generational stability? If you're not attracting young folks, you need to be keeping them. There's a fine balance there. It's certainly easier to develop boom growth than it is to create generational stability. Obviously, we're talking about economics... culture/community/politics too... but mostly economics.

So sure... we moved here to do the family thing. Our situation allows for that. But if I grew up here, I'm not sure I'd stay here. And I wouldn't blame my kids if they want to "escape" some day. Isn't that your story, too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 01:10 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,044,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueysBack View Post
100%. One of the challenges, however, is how do you create generational stability? If you're not attracting young folks, you need to be keeping them. There's a fine balance there. It's certainly easier to develop boom growth than it is to create generational stability. Obviously, we're talking about economics... culture/community/politics too... but mostly economics.

So sure... we moved here to do the family thing. Our situation allows for that. But if I grew up here, I'm not sure I'd stay here. And I wouldn't blame my kids if they want to "escape" some day. Isn't that your story, too?
Both my kids stayed and have good engineering jobs in the area. My 27 year old son has 2 kids, his first house and a very nice 401k balance - try doing that on the coasts (keep in mind he's 27.) My sister (in LA) is planning on moving her family back to Ohio in 2 years, her two kids will both be college age and they want to come to Ohio also (they grew up in LA). The problem is not economics for my sister but how do the kids start to build a family, own a home, get a reasonable commute, etc - in CA? Really hard to do.

When I hear all the stereotypical hyperbole about Cleveland jobs, crime, weather, etc. I don't fight it, I just say, "yeah - not for everyone." Having lived in Dallas, spent plenty of time in LA - I see the other side. If I were a multi-millionaire - maybe I would live in Manhattan or San Fran (must be a "multi" though.) But I'm not so I choose Cleveland. Went hiking this morning in the CVNP at Red Lock: hills, waterfalls, ephemerals, misty rain. It was great.

Old 04-28-2019, 01:33 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,460,703 times
Quote:

Self-selection works out I think. Let the strivers and career-obsessed keep climbing corporate ladders on the coasts. Good luck to them. Young folks with more than a one-track mind can live in a city like Cleveland, own a home, have multiple kids, live in a community, and have a life outside work.

I certainly never wanted to "escape" Cleveland. Always liked it. Liked it more after leaving. I get that a lot of people my age love the yup lifestyle in coastal cities, living in modern one-bedroom apartments with their girlfriend and French bulldog, but it's just so vapid out here. I am starting to see that and really understand the loss.

Old 04-28-2019, 05:47 PM

227 posts, read 198,474 times
Both of you make good, valid points. I'm happy to hear your, 216facts, kids have stayed in the area.

So when are you coming home, bjimmy24? Lol

Old 04-28-2019, 08:01 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,445,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Self-selection works out I think. Let the strivers and career-obsessed keep climbing corporate ladders on the coasts. Good luck to them. Young folks with more than a one-track mind can live in a city like Cleveland, own a home, have multiple kids, live in a community, and have a life outside work.

I certainly never wanted to "escape" Cleveland. Always liked it. Liked it more after leaving. I get that a lot of people my age love the yup lifestyle in coastal cities, living in modern one-bedroom apartments with their girlfriend and French bulldog, but it's just so vapid out here. I am starting to see that and really understand the loss.
Elaborate on the loss.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Elaborate on the loss.
Coastal cities are more collections of self important individuals than communities.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Both of you make good, valid points. I'm happy to hear your, 216facts, kids have stayed in the area.

So when are you coming home, bjimmy24? Lol
I'm tentatively thinking August.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:28 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,130,432 times
Here’s an article about a coastal millennial who moved to Cleveland to start his block chain business https://www.crainscleveland.com/opin...land-heres-why.

Similarly, I decided to move back to Cleveland after college, not just for family, but because it felt like I could make more of a meaningful difference here than other cities. I’ve been able to make a difference in my community of North Collinwood by purchasing and renovating several foreclosed homes, as well as being involved in local community events, volunteering, etc. I really feel like I’m part of a community and will have friends and acquaintances that I’ll know and will know me across my lifetime. I don’t know if I would get as much of that feeling on the coasts.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Here’s an article about a coastal millennial who moved to Cleveland to start his block chain business https://www.crainscleveland.com/opin...land-heres-why.

Similarly, I decided to move back to Cleveland after college, not just for family, but because it felt like I could make more of a meaningful difference here than other cities. I’ve been able to make a difference in my community of North Collinwood by purchasing and renovating several foreclosed homes, as well as being involved in local community events, volunteering, etc. I really feel like I’m part of a community and will have friends and acquaintances that I’ll know and will know me across my lifetime. I don’t know if I would get as much of that feeling on the coasts.
Sounds like you made a good decision. I'm definitely interested in North Collinwood for if/when I relocate back. It seems to have that community vibe. Though I don't really spend much time there.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:32 PM

Some more Metroparks news, for anyone who thinks they don't matter or don't do anything:
Cleveland Metroparks Win 5 National Awards
https://patch.com/ohio/cleveland/cle...4lS7ljrPLky7FE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland