Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 05:58 PM

453 posts, read 301,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitenexus View Post

snip

So what say you, city-data forumers? Is there such a thing as a safe, affordable neighborhood with great schools in this region?
I didn't read the whole thread yet.

I'm looking to relo to Ohio and don't specifically know the answer to this region unilaterally...but yes I think there are.

I'm looking at Rocky River and Lakewood/Gold Coast and find the properties extremely affordable and safe-ish. But I'm focused on condos. Coming from Florida having grown up in Phila and NJ shore (which I'm still considering)

In PA there are some villages with high great schools ratings that are still VERY safe and affordable. But certainly not "close" to major cities like Cleveland. I notice I still get violent crime reports for Lakewood that really tick me off and discourage me. Like CAR JACKINGS GALORE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2021, 06:10 PM

453 posts, read 301,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510
Speaking as a school parent, I think school “quality” is overrated, other than classroom size, and the majority of a child’s education begins and ends at home. That’s especially true for the elementary school years. So if you indeed do have to choose two, choose affordability and safety (along with the type of neighbors you’d like to have as acquaintances when your kids play together) because kids with parents who nurture their education and make them excited about learning are going to prosper regardless if their school makes some “top” list.

I don't understand where you're coming from here.

That's exactly WHY you want a highly rated school. Not because you have a special snowflake little genius but because the children in that school district are probably in families that value education and are involved yada yada.

But I WILL say that is not always true since my kid's high school Council Rock in Bucks County Pa, the Upper Makefield Township gold coast was nick named Heroin High since all the geniuses decided they could operate businesses selling dope.

Now having had a kid with a 140 IQ, that is ALSO not guaranteed because every single year was a fight for me in this hot shot school district except with the Gifted teacher who was a really great person.

I LITERALLY had to withdraw him from math because the high school math teacher said "I don't believe in IEPs". So I had to get a tutor for home study. After paying tens of thousands in school taxes and them going AGAINST THE LAWS.

So the benefit? Yeah we walked away with lifetime good friends - his classmates and their parents because we all hung out together every weekend. Sports, BBQ etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: