Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 03:42 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,429,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad99 View Post
Does this crime map of the Cleve are look accurate please? https://crimegrade.org/safest-places...land-oh-metro/
It would be helpful to understand how granular the statistics are, because I'm very surprised that University Circle is rated to be a high crime area, even for violent crimes. I wonder if it's lumped in with other neighborhoods. E.g., when I last looked at Case Western reported crime statistics, they were very low. There are several large private police forces in the University Circle area, such as the University Circle police, Cleveland Clinic police, Case Western Reserve University police, etc.

https://www.universitycircle.org/abo...ice-department

Large retail complexes are magnets for crime, such as in Beachwood. I doubt if it spills into other neighborhoods, but I could be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 03:12 AM

191 posts, read 276,037 times
Agreed! I was raised in the Cleveland area... back in the '60s when crime was higher overall... and short of avoiding Hough (especially at night), we didn't worry much about crime (but of course were taught early on how to avoid being a victim).

We plan to re-relocate back to NE Ohio (in next 12-15 months) now that we're retired/kids are grown. We're evaluating:

1. Kamm's (for convenience/shopping),
2. Chesterland (wife wants an acre like we now have in Raleigh NC), and
3. Parma/Middleburg Hts.

We also want to be near high quality medical care (CC-Fairview or CC-Hillcrest). Along those lines, Parma/Middleburg heights has the area's only Level 2 trauma/burn/ED hospital (MetroHealth), and my wife's Polish (2nd Gen active) so the Cultural Center is near. We like the (mostly) lesser snowfall on the West/SW side but not a major issue for either of us :-).

Thoughts (as it's been nearly 50 years since I've lived in the area ;-)?

Old 08-23-2021, 04:36 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:
Agreed! I was raised in the Cleveland area... back in the '60s when crime was higher overall... and short of avoiding Hough (especially at night), we didn't worry much about crime (but of course were taught early on how to avoid being a victim).

We plan to re-relocate back to NE Ohio (in next 12-15 months) now that we're retired/kids are grown. We're evaluating:

3. Parma/Middleburg Hts.

We also want to be near high quality medical care (CC-Fairview or CC-Hillcrest). Along those lines, Parma/Middleburg heights has the area's only Level 2 trauma/burn/ED hospital (MetroHealth), and my wife's Polish (2nd Gen active) so the Cultural Center is near. We like the (mostly) lesser snowfall on the West/SW side but not a major issue for either of us :-).

These all seem like pretty different areas.I think someone who wants to live in Chesterland would have a hard time accepting living in Kamm's and vice versa.

Old 08-23-2021, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
These all seem like pretty different areas.I think someone who wants to live in Chesterland would have a hard time accepting living in Kamm's and vice versa.
Correct, but since we're retired we don't need to consider jobs and schools (at least not explicitly). As mentioned, the two single most important variables are healthcare access and some land (wife's demand).

We've lived in 3 countries, 10 states and 16 separate metro areas in the past 30+ years... ranging from exurban to urban. We also favor more diversity but it (generally) runs counter to land and healthcare access unfortunately.

Were it up to me, I'd live in Little Italy/Covington, Euclid, Cleve/Univ Heights but houses were too dense for her liking so had to rule that out on our last trip up there.

Old 08-23-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:

3. Parma/Middleburg Hts.

What's your budget? Perhaps you can find a property with an acre of land in Kirtland, Kirtland Hills, or Kirtland Village. Certainly, Willoughby Hills may be an option.

Living closer to I-90, which now has a Route 615 interchange in addition to Route 306 and Route 91 interchanges, would put you within a half hour of the Cleveland Clinic main campus, often desirable due to specialized staff AND greater availability of appointments. There is a good CC campus in Willoughby and the CC is scheduled soon to begin construction of a hospital in Mentor near the Route 615 interchange. Additionally, University Hospitals is taking over the Lake Health operations including the two hospitals in Willoughby and Concord Township. UH hospitals, like CC hospitals, generally receive high ratings in the Medicare hospital ratings.

For retirees, Lake County's Laketran dial-a-ride service offers door-to-door discounted fares to the University Circle hospitals in Cleveland (and perhaps other Cuyahoga County east side hospitals such as Hillcrest; check) as well as to health facilities in Lake County, or any other Lake County destinations. The service is widely used by the aged, or those who want to cut back to one car.

The Kirtland area has great metroparks and Holden Arboretum, is convenient to Lake Erie beaches, and offers easy access to the many Mentor shopping complexes including most big box stores. The I-271 corridor with Beachwood Mall, Legacy Village and other shopping options (Costco) is easily reached.

Post 468 here should be helpful, especially SlideRules' main thread linked in the post.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...thread-47.html

Old 08-23-2021, 01:39 PM

Wow! MANY THANKS for all the great info/leads WR!!! I honestly hadn't considered Kirtland nor Willoughby Hills but will now as was pleasantly surprised to see a good number of 1+ acre plots sold in past 3 years. I agree that access to the Lake (plus likely less snow ;-) and to Mentor shopping and activities - great town!

We'll be cashing-out of a highly appreciated, paid-off house down here so taxes are the only real financial consideration (but we'll be utilizing the Ohio senior $25K FMV reduction for about $800/yr). I'd like to keep the recurring annual tax cost below $5K, but not a hard ceiling. That said, even the taxes on the Cuyahoga side don't look too bad ;-) per Zillow... especially SE of the N. Chargin Res.

Yes, I agree that UH (especially the "mother-ship") is an top-notch hospital (even for vascular). Thanks also for confirming that appointments can be scarce out at Hillcrest... I've heard/read that a number of places now. I was thinking emergency care (as in heart attack/stroke as I suffered a "widow-maker" LAD MI back in 2005).

I'll also follow the link you included now... :-)

Old 08-23-2021, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Wow! MANY THANKS for all the great info/leads WR!!! I honestly hadn't considered Kirtland nor Willoughby Hills but will now as was pleasantly surprised to see a good number of 1+ acre plots sold in past 3 years.
Kirtland, Kirtland Hills, and the Village of Kirtland all are separate real estate markets on zillow.com. You also might consider Concord Township, and possibly Wintergreen Hill and the surrounding neighborhoods (near the Painesville Country Club if you golf) in Painesville Township, depending upon size of lot, house price, type of house, neighborhood desired; these Painesville properties likely are cheaper than in the Kirtland area and eastern Cuyahoga County. I saw a Mentor Ave. listing in Painesville City, if a remodeled early 19th century home (but only 0.67 acre lot) interests you, located close to Lake Erie College. It's a more diverse community. Perhaps stay at the Steele Mansion B&B when you explore Lake County, or Fitzgerald's near Painesville's town square and across from city hall.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...34476962_zpid/

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...cleveland.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio...n-squares.html

https://www.zillow.com/painesville-o...oom%22%3A12%7D

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...34467645_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...34467756_zpid/

The Kirtland Country Club likely is the most exclusive in Great Cleveland.

Pepper Pike, Gates Mills, and Moreland Hills (generally two acre lots) are additional options in Cuyahoga County. I know nothing about Bentleyville.

http://www.morelandhills.com/en-US/A...and-Hills.aspx

https://flourrestaurant.com/

Check out Wikipedia articles for quick overviews of communities.

Definitely explore Fairport Harbor, Fairport Harbor Beach and Mentor Headlands Beach when in Lake County. IMO, Lake Erie Bluffs Metropark in Perry also is worth a visit.

https://www.thepompadourbar.com/

Quote:
Yes, I agree that UH (especially the "mother-ship") is an top-notch hospital (even for vascular). Thanks also for confirming that appointments can be scarce out at Hillcrest... I've heard/read that a number of places now. I was thinking emergency care (as in heart attack/stroke as I suffered a "widow-maker" LAD MI back in 2005).
The Cleveland Clinic is tops in the country for cardiovascular, according to U.S. News & World Report. For those medical conditions, my impression over the years is that CC is noticeably better than UH, especially if you go to the main campus. Perhaps consider making an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic main campus (ascertain your parking garage before your visit) before you visit, and definitely check out the heart hospital there. I wouldn't be surprised if the CC offers tours to prospective cardiovascular patients relocating to Cleveland. During your appointment, ask what examinations and continued maintenance they would recommend.

Good luck!

Last edited by WRnative; 08-23-2021 at 04:40 PM..

Old 09-02-2021, 01:31 AM

Default AreaVibes

https://www.city-data.com/forum/tole...l#post61801940

Click on "livability" to get all of the individual ratings for a community.

It does have some limited use as a screening tool, but nothing beats a deep dive granularity into a community.

E.g., I focused on Mentor. Even after I read "methodology," I'm perplexed that Mentor Housing is rated "D+" while Euclid is rated "C." I suspect it has something to do with housing appreciation rates. In recent years, from very low base levels, Euclid has seen some of the highest housing appreciation rates in Greater Cleveland, according to zillow.com home values. Mentor's overall housing stock is significantly superior to the options in Euclid, although Euclid offers many bargains.

Mentor overall does have a much higher livability score.

Both Euclid and Mentor receive an "A+" for amenities, but Mentor's amenities are far superior to those in Euclid. E.g., retail, beach quality and availability, quality of local parks, easy access and quality of nearby Metroparks, etc. Technically, Euclid does have mass transit access to University Circle and downtown, but so does Mentor. Mentor and all of Lake County has Laketran's "Dial-a-Ride" service, offering relatively unique point-to-point mass transit service, including to University Circle hospitals with discounted rates for seniors. Dial-a-ride is an excellent option for someone unable to drive; it is wheelchair accessible. It's not as convenient as Uber or Lyft, but cheaper over longer distances.

With Meijer's, Marc's and Aldi's, in addition to several other grocery chains, I know of few places with as cheap of groceries as Mentor. Mentor has exceptional retail offerings, with a mall, several significant shopping centers and most big box retailers. Mentor has an abundance of medical and dental service options relative to Euclid.

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2021 at 10:53 PM..

Old 09-03-2021, 11:17 AM

40 posts, read 41,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post

With Meijer's, Marc's and Aldi's, in addition to several other grocery chains, I know of few places with as cheap of groceries as Mentor. Mentor has exceptional retail offerings, with a mall, several significant shopping centers and most big box retailers. Mentor has an abundance of medical and dental service options relative to Euclid.
also coming soon to Mentor: Trader Joe's. Don't know the date yet, and sadly a beautiful historic home was demolished for this purpose ; yet despite the "trendy yuppie" demographic the chain tends to attract, very affordable.

Old 09-03-2021, 12:25 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlyofpainesville View Post
also coming soon to Mentor: Trader Joe's. Don't know the date yet, and sadly a beautiful historic home was demolished for this purpose ; yet despite the "trendy yuppie" demographic the chain tends to attract, very affordable.
It's cheap because it's low quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: