Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 10:55 AM

20 posts, read 27,942 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My wife and I just moved to Cleveland Heights (from a small town in central Florida that we hated, then from Baltimore before that, long story) roughly a week ago. We like where we are (by Cain Park) as there's lots of neat restaurants nearby and lots of beautiful houses for good prices. I've been researching neighborhoods and I've learned about Cleveland Heights' high property taxes and mediocre schools. We're currently 16 weeks pregnant, so in the next year or two we'll be looking at buying a house. Ideally we would like the best public schools possible in an area that is low crime, and of course the big kicker, affordable. By affordable I mean actually affordable, as in below $200K. I've seen a lot of people recommend Shaker Heights, but we drove through there the other day and it seemed to consist of completely run-down areas with trash on the streets and mansions, with nothing really between the two. We weren't impressed at all. I really like the neighborhood to the immediate East of Cain Park, with all the beautiful houses and nicely kept yards. If I could find a place like that with good schools, we'd be set. I don't really have a preference as to east side/west side, but I don't know much about the west side yet. I've seen that schools look good around the westlake and lakeview areas, but the houses are pricier. I work in downtown Cleveland and currently have about a 15-20 minute commute which is great, but if I have to commute further to get these things I'm okay with that. Just no 90 minute commutes, like my boss does. And I'm pretty handy, so if the house needs a bit of work that's fine too, as long as it's not something like the roof is caving in or needing to be completely rewired. I realize I'll probably have to push a bit farther from Cleveland to get what I want and look more into the suburbs.

So what say you, city-data forumers? Is there such a thing as a safe, affordable neighborhood with great schools in this region?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 11:30 AM

11,061 posts, read 12,456,973 times
A place that's low crime and "great" schools is not going to be affordable. This is how it is across the country/world. Anyway, maybe Mentor but personally I'd much rather be in the Heights and I don't think Heights people would really like such a place anyway.

Old 03-08-2021, 12:08 PM

As I look more closely at prices, crime rates, and school districts it seems you're sadly right. It's very hard in America to get the trifecta of safe/good schools/affordable. The sad reality is you can pick two.

Old 03-08-2021, 12:37 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,406,148 times
It's not that low crime and good schools cost money, it's just that generally speaking, money prices the criminals and bad elements out.

Old 03-08-2021, 01:34 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,086,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitenexus View Post
As I look more closely at prices, crime rates, and school districts it seems you're sadly right. It's very hard in America to get the trifecta of safe/good schools/affordable. The sad reality is you can pick two.
This reminds me of a product development anecdote I heard back in college. You need a product developed that is low cost, good quality and built quickly/in-mass. But in reality, only two of those are achievable to effectively build the product.

I feel there is a development or engineering term for this kind of rule, but cannot quite seem to find it at the moment.

Old 03-08-2021, 02:17 PM

In regards to getting a car, especially a sports car, the saying is usually "Fast, cheap, reliable. Pick two."

Old 03-08-2021, 02:19 PM

Now I just need to figure out how to exponentially increase my paycheck over the next few years so I can move into Westlake. I just entered the IT field, so I guess it's possible.

Old 03-08-2021, 07:54 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Speaking as a school parent, I think school “quality” is overrated, other than classroom size, and the majority of a child’s education begins and ends at home. That’s especially true for the elementary school years. So if you indeed do have to choose two, choose affordability and safety (along with the type of neighbors you’d like to have as acquaintances when your kids play together) because kids with parents who nurture their education and make them excited about learning are going to prosper regardless if their school makes some “top” list.

Old 03-08-2021, 08:07 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,104,158 times
It’s Better in Mentor.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:12 AM

201 posts, read 238,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitenexus View Post
Hi everyone! My wife and I just moved to Cleveland Heights (from a small town in central Florida that we hated, then from Baltimore before that, long story) roughly a week ago. We like where we are (by Cain Park) as there's lots of neat restaurants nearby and lots of beautiful houses for good prices. I've been researching neighborhoods and I've learned about Cleveland Heights' high property taxes and mediocre schools. We're currently 16 weeks pregnant, so in the next year or two we'll be looking at buying a house. Ideally we would like the best public schools possible in an area that is low crime, and of course the big kicker, affordable. By affordable I mean actually affordable, as in below $200K. I've seen a lot of people recommend Shaker Heights, but we drove through there the other day and it seemed to consist of completely run-down areas with trash on the streets and mansions, with nothing really between the two. We weren't impressed at all. I really like the neighborhood to the immediate East of Cain Park, with all the beautiful houses and nicely kept yards. If I could find a place like that with good schools, we'd be set. I don't really have a preference as to east side/west side, but I don't know much about the west side yet. I've seen that schools look good around the westlake and lakeview areas, but the houses are pricier. I work in downtown Cleveland and currently have about a 15-20 minute commute which is great, but if I have to commute further to get these things I'm okay with that. Just no 90 minute commutes, like my boss does. And I'm pretty handy, so if the house needs a bit of work that's fine too, as long as it's not something like the roof is caving in or needing to be completely rewired. I realize I'll probably have to push a bit farther from Cleveland to get what I want and look more into the suburbs.

So what say you, city-data forumers? Is there such a thing as a safe, affordable neighborhood with great schools in this region?
OP, I was rather surprised by your characterization of Shaker Heights; which areas did you actually tour? There are numerous neighborhoods in Shaker defined by neither mansions, nor blight. Your best bet to find something in your price range is a decent home in need of updates or some light rehabilitation in one of the following locations: Ludlow, Lomond, Sussex, or Thornton Park. You might also snag a bigger project in Onaway, Fernway or Mercer but I don't know how "handy" you are and these are rare. Another option is to find a project on a major thoroughfare like Fairmount Boulevard, Green Road, Warrensville Center Road, Chagrin Boulevard, Van Aken Boulevard, Lee Road, Coventry Road, etc. $200,000 is well under the median sale price for Shaker homes but there are pockets. The only areas of Shaker where I might understand your description of "run down" are Moreland and North Moreland, given the number of foreclosures, demolished homes, and vacant lots that materialized over the past 15 years (as well as proximity to the Mount Pleasant neighborhood of Cleveland). Happy to PM if you want to delve into greater detail about Shaker or other areas; I am a certified urban planner, Shaker homeowner and transplant who also lived in Florida and the Mid-Atlantic.

DR J
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: