Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 10:33 AM

63 posts, read 223,006 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm looking into various MSW programs and was wondering if anyone had any input on the program at ECU? Anyone been in/ have friends who were in the program?

Currently live in Maine, 2 small children who would both be in school by the we moved, so family friendly communities obviously. How are the schools in the area?

I would be renting for awhile, right now I pay $900/mo for a 3 bedroom, with nothing included. Heating fuel in the NE is definitely an added expense on top of utilities. Is this a reasonable price for renting give or take?
I'm originally from Philly, so I get that there is crime in places and there are some areas you just don't go at night. That doesn't scare me.

Also, I have have been serving/bartending for years and would most likely be doing this while in school as well as trying to find at least a part time job as a Substance Abuse Counselor. Anyone have any experience in either of these areas that can tell me what I can excpect to make $ wise. Can you make a living off working in a restaurant? Right now I work at a seasonal place that closes from Jan-April. Typically in the summer I make at lease $800 working 6 shifts.

I would of course secure a job before moving my family down there. What's the job market like?

How far away is the closest beach?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciate.

Any NE transplants care to weigh in on their experience moving to the area?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 09:25 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,277,812 times
There are good school districts and bad school districts, just like everywhere. Any good Realtor could point you in the correct direction.

$900/month here and you're doing something good. This is a college town, and rent is fairly low. Obviously you won't want to live near students though.

If you have experience as a bartender, I think you could pick up a job fairly easy. There is the "downtown" college crowd, or a more upscale place. I would assume you would want to work at a upscale restaurant. I know people who do well.

Job market here is growing. ECU and PCMH are the economic engines. For the most part, they aren't slowing down. We are going through a state budget crunch though, that is trying to trim off "fat".

Closest beach would be Atlantic Beach ares, ~90min.

And a lot of "mental health" patients move to Pitt County. So if there is funding for your type job, the demand is definitely here.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:22 PM

Thanks so much! Looking at all these schools on paper is one thing. I wish I had the money to travel everywhere to check em out. I've always had the desire to move to NC but never heard of Greenville.

I appreciate the insight!

Old 03-24-2011, 08:44 PM

474 posts, read 705,865 times
There is the Walter B Jones treatment center in Greenville among other things that you could potentially find a job as a substance abuse counselor. Greenville has a lot of restaurants also for a city its size so you could also find work pretty easily I imagine there as well. I have no idea how the pay is for either of those jobs.

The lifestyle and culture in Greenville will be much different than that of the NE, that's for sure!

Good luck with the move.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:15 PM

4 posts, read 18,332 times
Restaurant industry in Greenville is DOMINATED by college students. Your coworkers will more than likely be 18-22 y/o's, if you can handle that, go for it. My friend currently works as a bartender/serv-pro at one of the chains...she has the ability to make decent money, but it's hard with so many students seeking work. And there are very few "upscale" restaurants in Greenville. Most people travel to Raleigh to find something that isn't a chain. Greenville is FULL of chains. But they usually have a high turnaround, so, that might work in your favor.

ECU's MSW program is, IMO, sub-par. I did my undergrad in the College of Human Ecology, of which the SW program is a part of. Although they try, the variety isn't all that awesome, the teachers aren't that knowledgeable, it's not a portable degree (while an ECU degree in the area shows ties to the community, etc, good luck leaving with it and having people know what school you're talking about). I can also tell you right now, MSW/LMSW/LCSW positions in the area are limited. I should know, I've been trying to get one for MONTHS now. Prepare for your license, get it AS SOON as you graduate, DO NOT WAIT! I cannot stress that enough, or you'll be in my situation. While in the two years-ish it takes you to earn the degree the situation may change, right now it's not all that promising.

Greenville is a college town. It centers around the University. While this is fine for me because I'm still young, don't have kids, what have you, for others who have moved on to that phase of their life it might not be the ideal place. I love Greenville, but I would never live there with children. You can find a better school with better surrounding school systems for your children.

If you have any other MSW questions, let me know, I worked as an orientation rep for my MSW program and can give you a lot of good insight on what to look for, what's overrated, etc. Good luck with whatever decision you make, social workers are AWESOME!

Old 03-30-2011, 02:23 PM

Thanks for your input! I'm not really that worried about the restaurant jobs in the area..I've worked for a few different chains, and know how it is working with younger college age kids..I'm only 25 but it feels like I'm 10 years older than most of them. I can get that kind of job anyway, so it is what it is.

The quality of the school is definitely important though. I don't want to be at a disadvantage because I went to a certain school. Do you know anything about UNCW's MSW program?

I'm looking into a bunch of different schools up and down the east coast, so any help weeding out the sub-par schools is a big help! It'd be nice to be able to visit every prospective school/location but obviously that's not feasible with 2 small children.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina