Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 06:56 PM

170 posts, read 592,405 times

Advertisements

1. How's the fishing? I love to fish and spent 10 years on Long Island, NY fishing every other weekend off of the "party boats." For about $35 for 4 hours, you could go out and have a great time, rods, bait included, no license required. Are there such animals within a reasonable driving distance from Greenville?

2. I've heard that property taxes are high in Greenville. Can anyone give me a percentage rate?

3. My husband is a retail manager and will be looking for a job. Are there any big malls?

4. I am a portrait photographer. Are there too many already in Greenville?

5. I see the crime rate in Greenville is high, according to city-data, but I know that is just an average of the entire town. Are there certain areas we should avoid when we come to look? Schools are not important, as it is just me and my husband and our kids are all grown.

6. Would we be able to find a home for under $150,000, 3+bedroom, 2 bath, in an area where we are a bit removed from a neighbor (1 acre or more of land)? If not, are there areas nearby that would suit our needs and have less than a 40 minute commute into Greeenville?

Thanks, in advance! I tried to be as specific as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 06:16 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,040,835 times
Default 2007-2008 Property Tax Rate

Pitt County - 0.7100 per $100
City of Greenville - 0.5600 per $100

Combined Total - 1.2700 per $100

Last edited by mm34b; 03-26-2008 at 06:26 AM..

Old 03-26-2008, 06:29 AM

451 posts, read 1,918,271 times
You should be able to find a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house for under $150K easily...not so sure about getting an acre of land with that.

For fishing, i'd look into Washington NC. For charter fishing, i'd look at Morehead City/Beaufort area.

Greenville will have the cheapest real estate of all the places I mentioned, plus the best medical facilities and shopping.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:12 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,253,868 times
Plus a river goes right thru Greenville, just a block northeast of the downtown area is a park, people cane pole fish there all the time, I have and I didn't have no license. Also, as the above poster said, you are just a couple hours from one of the best ocean fishing areas in the country, the Outer Banks, which Morehead City is at the bottom, and Duck is at the top, hundreds of miles of beach and sound in between. At Cape Hatteras, people in waders with huge reels stand in some heavy surf that comes in from all directions, but not the "party" deal you had. This is just to give you more info on what it's like.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:13 PM

170 posts, read 592,405 times
Thank you! All this fishing talk makes me want to get on a plane today!

Old 03-27-2008, 07:19 PM

739 posts, read 833,662 times
The fishing around Washington is not all that great. I have fished all over the world and have a home in Washington. I'd go to Oriental for redfish, fish the outer banks in November for blues or go offshore for marlin. Otherwise, I'd go hunting or find me a comfortable chair next to the river and sit for awhile.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:39 AM

955 posts, read 4,101,160 times
I see from my reading that shad run up the Tar river, and stripers run up the Roanoke. What else is available near Greenville?

Old 04-04-2008, 09:00 PM

475 posts, read 707,235 times
Can't help with the fishing, but there is a mall in Greenville, but it's not the greatest. It does have anchor stores like Belk's and JCPenny's and a handful of smaller stores. There was an older mall across town that recently was torn down, but its Sears still exists and a relatively new Kohl's that was built on the lot. There are many plaza-type retail centers also scattered over town with stores like B&N, Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc.

I have not had any portraits made, so the only thing I can offer is when my son was born, I received probably 3 or 4 different advertisements in the mail offering portraits.

There are a few smaller towns near Greenville that may be able to offer you houses with larger yards, such as Winterville or even Ayden. Those both would be easily under 40 minutes, more like 10-15 for Winterville and 15-20 for Ayden.

Hope this helps some!

Old 04-06-2008, 06:02 PM

3 posts, read 8,851 times
Here's my most important question:
Independent coffeeshops with wireless internet?

Don't make me go to Starbucks....

Old 04-06-2008, 06:54 PM

451 posts, read 1,918,271 times
^We are getting Starbucks everywhere...I think two new ones have opened within the past year.

Don't know of any independent coffee shops, but there is a used bookstore/tea room uptown. Uptown Greenville offers free wireless internet now. The tea room also has good sandwiches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina