Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:06 AM

228 posts, read 601,991 times

Advertisements

Yes, I will echo that Greenville does not feel Southern. Sorry, I am one of those Northern transplants. I really WANTED the Southern experience. Was hoping I was moving to the land of sweet tea, wrap around porches, Southern charm, country music, old fashioned values, Southern belles, etc. And, in some small corners of Greenville that part of the South exists.

But, it is generally drowned out by the cacophony of rap music, social unrest, crime, and college kids trying to live up to a false image of themselves...

Not sure where true gentle America resides...but, I will find it someday...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 08:48 AM

119 posts, read 362,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningNorm View Post
Yes, I will echo that Greenville does not feel Southern. Sorry, I am one of those Northern transplants. I really WANTED the Southern experience. Was hoping I was moving to the land of sweet tea, wrap around porches, Southern charm, country music, old fashioned values, Southern belles, etc. And, in some small corners of Greenville that part of the South exists.

But, it is generally drowned out by the cacophony of rap music, social unrest, crime, and college kids trying to live up to a false image of themselves...

Not sure where true gentle America resides...but, I will find it someday...
Oh well thats unfortunate... but since you are a Yankee transplant, if you do end up finding one of the traditional Southern towns, than you still would most likely never fit in. Small, traditional, Southern towns tend to keep to themselves since new people normally don't move in. Although this is true for most small towns in the country. If you seriously want gentle, laid back America, move one of the charming towns along the Appalachians. When I was in Virginia, Front Royal was really laid back!

And about North Carolina being different than the Deep South, I do realize that. Things are different between the Mid and Upper South and the Deep South because long ago, they had different economies, which made the lifestyle different yet similar. Through my posts around City Data, I am finding that if I really want to be in that traditional town I'm thinking of, I'm gonna' need to stay in Mississippi!!! Heck, most of the towns here around Hattiesburg are all quiet on Sundays after church, and people really do go around talking to each other (sweet tea is made to give to people who come up on your porch to talk to you!)! Ahh... gotta' love it

Thanks for the help and hopefully y'all in North Carolina can find ways to reclaim your "Southernness" hehe!
-Megan

Old 03-29-2011, 09:55 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,200,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningNorm View Post

But, it is generally drowned out by the cacophony of rap music, social unrest, crime
These are parts of the southern experience as well. The rest of the stuff you mentioned is largely the province of fantasies and tourism ads.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:01 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,776,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
These are parts of the southern experience as well. The rest of the stuff you mentioned is largely the province of fantasies and tourism ads.
exactly. my great grandfather was a tobacco farmer during the depression, who lived in an old farmhouse with a wraparound porch, on land he inherited from 5 generations back. Those were the old times people dream about.

Yet, he had to carry a pistol for protection, the majority of people were poverty stricken, and blacks in particular were not "free" in any meaningful sense. The rule of law was weak, judges and cops were all friends, violence was routine, racism was rampant, people weren't educated, life expectancies were low, people didn't have the basic conveniences of today....

is that what people are looking for? Or are they looking for a neighborhood of air conditioned, energy efficient spec-homes in Cary, in a good school district, plenty of shopping, surrounded by people from Ohio?

Old 03-29-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I agree that many people move South expecting what they see in the movies and from ads, but in reality, this is the new South. Greenville, being a college town, would most likely have more of these problems. Some towns in the South still have their Old South feel (Natchez, Mississippi) and are very similar to how they were a long time ago.

But every town across America will have its rap-loving, dirty crowd, crime, and fake people trying to be something they are not. I just am trying to find a town that does not have as much of that

Old 03-29-2011, 01:50 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,200,117 times
Given the criteria you listed, have you thought about Arkansas?

Old 03-29-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Given the criteria you listed, have you thought about Arkansas?
Yes I have! I posted on the Arkansas forum about a town called El Dorado, but I've gotten no replies yet. Maybe this evening when more people are online I'll get some.

Do you know anything about Arkansas? I do know to avoid the Northwest part of the state as it's booming with Yankees and Californians

Old 03-29-2011, 03:46 PM

327 posts, read 605,339 times
As most folks have already reiterated, venture just outside of Greenville and you will experience southern culture at it's best. Fishing, hunting, good food, and friendly folks. Ayden, Farmville, Grifton, Grimesland all have that small, southern town feel. My family lives 8 miles outside of Greenville, and it's all farmland around their house. Greenville is a fast growing town though and becoming more urbanized, but it doesn't compare to what Raleigh/Durham is going through.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:09 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,908,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Mamma View Post
! Isn't ECU "the party school" of North Carolina?!

This is off-topic but wanted to point this out to those in the past who have stated that ECU holds this rep exclusively in NC and those outside of NC are unaware of it,

Old 03-29-2011, 07:36 PM

29 posts, read 49,104 times
Thanks for the help and hopefully y'all in North Carolina can find ways to reclaim your "Southernness" hehe!
-Megan[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina