Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:35 AM

805 posts, read 2,008,762 times

Advertisements

webenomads.... you are correct on all counts, you are also correct on the "104" number not "hundreds" as I stated.... in my defense it is listed as 104 on the map I linked to, but you are right, to be exact it is 104, not "hundreds"...... I attribute it to old age creeping up..... however on the other hand I was right about the heaviest concentration of these plants on the East Coast is from Maine to Florida with particular concentration in the Carolina's and Florida. Given that, you are also correct about the odds of finding an area in the US to live/retire to that is "perfect" and free from any kind of possible threat, natural or otherwise.

My biggest beef / area of annoyance with the original poster ( who I am sure is still a nice person and does not kick stray dogs ) was her assertion / question that the thousands ( a correct number I believe ) of people who have made St James ( and the surrounding plantations ) their home over the last 15 years or so.... are "just ignorant or what " ! Ok, soapbox time over for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 09:52 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,684,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post

My biggest beef / area of annoyance with the original poster ( who I am sure is still a nice person and does not kick stray dogs ) was her assertion / question that the thousands ( a correct number I believe ) of people who have made St James ( and the surrounding plantations ) their home over the last 15 years or so.... are "just ignorant or what " ! Ok, soapbox time over for now.
not sure how many 'ignorant' people could afford a home in st james, much less SJP... lol

Old 04-14-2011, 02:38 PM

551 posts, read 1,878,379 times
Laura, I don't live in St. James Plantation but I will admit that I am ignorant concerning whether or to what extent there are dangers associated with nuclear power plants. My thought is that they do have some degree of risk, along with many other things. There is no total safety anywhere on this earth. However if there is a particular thing that makes you nervous, why not go someplace where you are comfortable? Make a decision on where you want to live, then relax and enjoy every day of your life. Good luck.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:51 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,796,386 times
my grandpappy drank a tall glass of tritium every night before he went to bed. ain't bad for you.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:18 PM

77 posts, read 247,882 times
The fact remains, that when (not if) there is a major accident at the Brunswick plant, it very well could be catastrophic. If the core becomes overheated and a meltdown occurs, it will burn through the floor of the reactor and into the ground, where it will hit water and spew radioactive steam. The prevailing winds will carry it in whichever direction it is blowing. Maybe out to sea or directly to Oak Island, BSL, Wilmington. There have been several accidents there over the years, all of which no one was told about until long after the fact. Carolina Beach State Park is contaminated from a leak years ago. No one is told for economic reasons. As for Sunny Point, the Army ammo dump (MOTSU), there is said to be enough expolsives there to blow away everything in this entire area. It will certainly be a target if we were ever to get into a war. However, the explosives are well isolated from one another. A few years back a ship carrying high explosives caught fire just off MOTSU. I understand if it had blown, it would have been devastating. Why 2 such facilities are so close, I have yet to understand. I am surprised the Army allowed a nuke plant so close. Politics, I guess. I have been here for 34 years, so I really don't worry too much. However, anyone moving to the area should do a lot of research before deciding on Brunswick County. Anyone not believing about meltdowns should Google it.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:25 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,612,745 times
I think the posters above have legitimate concern being in hurricane alley is more of threat than earth quake though.

Tsunami and not the earth quake effected what happen in Japan.

A hurricane with Tornados could wipe out the power source, and since it has been stated USA back up have less of back power and capable of being flooded themselves render them possible useless.

Evacuation route should be planned with use of back roads as I40 and 17 will be gridlocked.

There nothing wrong with everyone on this thread voicing concern.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:07 PM

805 posts, read 2,008,762 times
After considerable contemplation, please allow me to voice the only possible, logical answer to their concern...... IMHO of course.

If one is concerned / has a fear about the nuclear plant being there and the possible / probable disaster that may erupt at any moment.... since one obviously has a choice, logic should dictate that one DOES NOT MOVE THERE..... no matter what any stranger might say.

If one ALREADY LIVES THERE and is concerned / has a fear about the possible / probable disaster that may erupt at any moment.... logic should dictate that one move as far away from it as possible..... immediately if not sooner..... no matter what any stranger might say.

Again, that's only my humble opinion.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:55 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,279,788 times
Russians could invade the United States

A Tsunami could hit the coast

Marty McFly could mess up the past/future

I mean come on guys, please tell me you're trolling. There is no way some one worries over this crap.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:03 AM

1 posts, read 3,024 times
I can assure you there is danger in everything in our lives but I can also assure you the danger you fear is extremely remote.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:26 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,796,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Russians could invade the United States

A Tsunami could hit the coast

Marty McFly could mess up the past/future

I mean come on guys, please tell me you're trolling. There is no way some one worries over this crap.
Charleston has a large fault line and had a major earthquake in the 1800's. That's why they have big steel bolts that hold all their buildings together. Although I'm not worried, it's not out of the realm of possibility that a large earthquake could cause a tsunami that affects the Brunswick nuclear plant.

I think a bigger risk would be if a monster category 5 hurricane hits. North Carolina has never been hit by a category 5, and the last category 4 was about 20 years before that plant opened, so that facility has only seen cat 3's. What happens if it gets hit by a storm like Hurricane Camille, with 190mph winds and a 25 foot storm surge? Who knows.

Last edited by le roi; 04-15-2011 at 05:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina