Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 01:02 PM

3 posts, read 20,784 times

Advertisements

jiust started the process of moving to st. james plantation. realize there is a nuclear power plant in new brunswick, 3 miles away. i am surprised that no one in or out of st james has ever mentioned it. in the wake of the japan disaster, i have so many fears. even though i know we are not prone to earthquakes or tsunamis, please someone help allay my fears and doubts. everyone seemed so happy and content at st. james, are they
just ignorant or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 01:09 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,676,402 times
youre over reacting.

no one talks about it because no one worries about it.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:21 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,005 times
well, I think you are wise to at least wonder about
the safety about nuclear plants.
did you guys not look at overhead map before buying?

the reason nobody says anything about this is because it would bad
for business.
you guys also have a government munition loading dock over
on that side of the river. what they do there I don't clearly know
but it must be enough since they have a designated habitat free blast zone across the river
on Pleasure Island.

while I am not a paranoid person the one thing I count on is that the government
def won't be telling us the truth about any of it.

btw we do have smaller earth quakes around here.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:28 PM

3 posts, read 20,784 times
didnt buy yet

Last edited by laura donnell; 04-12-2011 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: nisspelled

Old 04-12-2011, 01:40 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Since you asked, you are jyust ignorant. I used to live down there and you should be much more concerned about yahoos driving drunk on two lane roads after broiling at the beach all day.

I would also be a lot more concerned about holiday weekend traffic and finally about the high incidence of venomous snakes that used to call the St James development home. Used to help my FIL with course maintenance. Yep fear the pit viper.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:40 PM

805 posts, read 2,005,214 times
Laura.... we are moving to St James in August, and are very much looking forward to it..... the dozens of very intelligent and quite happy people that we have met and had dinner with, etc at St James in our visits there are not what "I" would call "just ignorant"...... we also do not classify ourselves in that category..... although I "could" be wrong about both.

I would also say that by your estimation that it would not only be the St James residents that are "just ignorant or what" but the "tens" of thousands of residents of Southport and all of the other plantations and communities in the area. In addition, the millions upon millions of residents all over the United States that live in the vicinity of a nuclear power plant ( of which there are HUNDREDS )...... with many more to come in the future, I would posit, as our needs for power increase. The chances of living "near" one at some point in the future, for better or worse, are pretty high.

And... regarding accidents..... I heard somewhere that there are more people killed in automobile accidents in this country than by nuclear power plant incidents..... and I believe the same source said that more people were killed falling in their bathtubs at home than by those same aformentioned nuclear power plant incidents.

Personally I am much more worried about the bathtub thing than the nuclear thing.... and regarding the "3 mile" rule that you mentioned, if I'm not mistaken I also saw on a broadcast on that magic video screen in my family room that "they" are worried about the radiation from that Japanese incident "thousands of miles" away in California.... so I guess that blows the "3 mile" thing out the window too.... if that is true then there is NOWHERE to go in North America period as I recall my geography from 5th grade, the US is only 3,000 miles wide.

So I say what the heck, lets just go have a picnic in the parking lot of that thing.... we're as safe there as in California.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:40 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,676,402 times
ohhhh picnic! ill bring the beer!

Old 04-13-2011, 11:42 AM

572 posts, read 1,611,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laura donnell View Post
jiust started the process of moving to st. james plantation. realize there is a nuclear power plant in new brunswick, 3 miles away. i am surprised that no one in or out of st james has ever mentioned it. in the wake of the japan disaster, i have so many fears. even though i know we are not prone to earthquakes or tsunamis, please someone help allay my fears and doubts. everyone seemed so happy and content at st. james, are they
just ignorant or what?
If you live inside the 10 mile "blast radius" the nuclear power plant will give you free pills. St James however is a gated community and impervious to nuclear radiation.

Brunswick County issuing potassium iodide pills for residents near nuclear plant | StarNewsOnline.com

Old 04-13-2011, 03:04 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times
You're the type person who doesn't go in the ocean because the "news" tells you there are sharks in it, aren't ya.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:15 AM

35 posts, read 72,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
In addition, the millions upon millions of residents all over the United States that live in the vicinity of a nuclear power plant (of which there are HUNDREDS )......
There are 104 nuclear power plants (not "hundreds") now operating in the U.S. Just want to keep the numbers straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
And... regarding accidents..... I heard somewhere that there are more people killed in automobile accidents in this country than by nuclear power plant incidents......
To date, no deaths in the U.S. can be directly linked to a nuclear power plant incident. None.

For the most part, Brunswick has been a welcome neighbor to Southport because it provides many good-paying jobs to people who live in the area.
The chances of a major earthquake hitting Southport are very, very, very slim. Here is a link showing the probability of a major earthquake in the next 50 years:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

And here is the historical data compiled by the USGS:

North Carolina

That said, if you are the type who lies awake at night waiting for the sky to fall, I suggest you move to an area of the country that has no record of disasters, natural or otherwise (including hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, toxic waste spills, dam failures, wildfires). And good luck finding one!

Last edited by Yac; 12-28-2011 at 05:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina