Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 08:02 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,502,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Since you asked, you are jyust ignorant. I used to live down there and you should be much more concerned about yahoos driving drunk on two lane roads after broiling at the beach all day.

I would also be a lot more concerned about holiday weekend traffic and finally about the high incidence of venomous snakes that used to call the St James development home. Used to help my FIL with course maintenance. Yep fear the pit viper.

"you are just ignorant" ?????

Little harsh aren't you. She just asked a innocent question.!!!!

Sheesh!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 08:08 AM

805 posts, read 2,004,318 times
Yes Biscy... although I have never seen one nor have I ever heard of one til this thread.... we are all just terrified to death of the marauding viper snakes... also the lions, tigers and bears, oh my.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:30 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,502,794 times
Ha!!!!!

Can't make this stuff up...

Old 04-24-2013, 06:18 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Yes Biscy... although I have never seen one nor have I ever heard of one til this thread.... we are all just terrified to death of the marauding viper snakes... also the lions, tigers and bears, oh my.

That's beacuse nobody around here calls them "Pit Vipers". It's a rattlesnake or water moccasin, respectively. Though I've only heard the altter refeered to as simply "viper" or "water viper". Same way how no one that's from here calls water moccasins "cottonmouths". And if you don't know that they run rampant through all water ways of ENC, including the area that is St James now, you must not have lived here too long. True that you are less likely to encounter them in develpoed area now-a-days, though. Still I saw a water moccasin the Sunday before last while running along a mountain bike trail in the woods in the vicinity of Wilmington.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,579 times
I would be worried. The plant is only interested in its own well being if there were problems or "incidents" we would find out but most likely,as with most spills,leaks, and even meltdowns, not in a timely manor. Not only do you worry about incidents happening which, yes, are fairly uncommon but you must worry of the radioactive materials like tritium polluting the ocean and groundwater. Just make an informed decision. Thinking ahead for your well being and the well being of your children is not "overreacting" it's simply being responsible and smart.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT
A typical 1000-megawatt pressurized-water reactor (with a cooling tower) takes in 20,000 gallons of river, lake or ocean water per minute for cooling, circulates it through a 50-mile maze of pipes, returns 5,000 gallons per minute to the same body of water, and releases the remainder to the atmosphere as vapor. A 1000-megawatt reactor without a cooling tower takes in even more water–as much as one-half million gallons per minute. The discharge water is contaminated with radioactive elements in amounts that are not precisely known or knowable, but are biologically active.

Some radioactive fission gases, stripped from the reactor cooling water, are contained in decay tanks for days before being released into the atmosphere through filtered rooftop vents. Some gases leak into the power plant buildings’ interiors and are released during periodic “purges†and “ventings.†These airborne gases contaminate not only the air, but also soil and water. ROUTINE RADIOACTIVE RELEASES FROM NUCLEAR REACTORS - IT DOESN’T TAKE AN ACCIDENT - NIRS

Old 03-27-2014, 11:45 PM

5 posts, read 7,305 times
No Tsnaimui is big enough to reach teh plant, moreover a hurrciane is not storng enough to damage it. The only thing that could damage it from nature is a toranado, although it is a tornano only stirkes an area around 1000 years. This is unlikely because the plant is also far from the ocean I know I live there. I live in Brusniwck County, and I had a friend who lived about 7000 ft from it from the backyard.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:43 AM

277 posts, read 435,951 times
One of my parents worked at the Brunswick plant for almost 20 years and said you're perfectly fine living in the area. Unless of course, the plant blows up. Then you might want to evacuate (calm down I'm kidding). That said we did abruptly move one day and have only been back for visits...it had nothing to do with the plant though. I wouldn't worry about it too much, sure there is an associated risk, but there's also a risk of stepping into the shower, or turning on the ignition in your car..or simply falling asleep at night. There's three everyday things that would probably "get you" before anything associated with a nuclear plant.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:44 AM

805 posts, read 2,004,318 times
Well, since the original question was posed three years ago I believe it's fairly safe to assume that Laura either moved in or moved on by now... and here we are, all still having lovely picnics in the parking lot of the plant.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:12 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,258,170 times
I'm SO SCARED OF IT

Old 03-28-2014, 08:04 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times
This is a timely topic--today is the 35th year anniversary of the partial melt-down of the reactor at Three Mile Island reactor near Harrisburg, PA...

Watch the Walter Cronkite-led coverage of Three Mile Island accident in March 1979 | PennLive.com

It's a good lesson in what happens to people living near nuclear reactors when there's a partial melt-down. This one was caused by an accident. Chaos and confusion ensured--and immediately impacted people within a ten-mile radius of the Three Island facility
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina