Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 11:56 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
As far as the parking lot of the Brunswick nuclear plant being safe or warning signals of any kind.... you must be mistaking me for someone else.
No, I'm not mistaking you for anybody else. Just within the past page you made two specific claims:

Quote:
The idea that when it "goes" you will have the luxury ofa warning and packing up and deciding to exit the area is pretty wishful thinking, however not realistic.
Quote:
As far as the picnic is concerned.... in the parking lot of the plant or in Wilmington, if it "goes", you won't be safe in either place.
Now you sure do ACT like you know what you're talking about, in those two statements. And yet here you go, backpedaling, "Gee, you must be mistaking me for someone else."

As for me -- rather than driving myself into denial by trying to rationalize why things are safe with pseudo-science, I simply acknowledge it is an unquantifiable risk and that I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Last edited by le roi; 04-15-2011 at 12:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 12:19 PM

805 posts, read 2,003,583 times
C'mon Leeroy, coming out of your trailer and going to the library to borrow their computer to look up them big words like unquantifiable and pseudo-science doesn't impress anyone. If I remember correctly, ( but maybe I'm wrong ) you live in the Southport area and are subject to the same nuclear dangers as Laura may be getting herself into..... maybe that don't take a lot of smarts either.

But I do know what I'm a talkin' about when I say that if someone is worried about a perceived danger.... there is a 100% for sure way to remedy that situation..... I re-iterate..... DON'T BE A' MOVIN' THERE.

Again, I for one .... and the commandant..... have no such concerns..... we intend to hunker down with all the other ignorant folks at St James and the other population of Southport and the surrounding areas and whatever comes our way..... comes our way..... c'est la vie ! ( got that one from my main hep cat Pepe le Pew ! http://www.google.com/search?q=pepe+...w=1095&bih=768

Last edited by Stonecreek67; 04-15-2011 at 12:34 PM..

Old 04-15-2011, 01:50 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,673,430 times
im afraid of clowns.

wondering if i should get a job with barnum and bailey? or would it be too close to the clowns?

decisions, decisions...

(meant in humor, not to tick anyone off, so keep yer big girl and boy panties on )

Old 04-15-2011, 02:50 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,399,264 times
Ah, I get it what you are saying stonecreek67,

you already bought a house in st. james plantation and
want to feel secure about your choice hence trying to convince everybody,
[that might be reasonably concerned] that living close to a nuclear plant is just dandy.
well, bless your heart.

from your last many post it is abundantly clear that you are the one
not grasping the idea.

to the original poster,
evident to all, there are many opinions about
how close is too close, what you are comfortable with
is up to you.

there was a death of a 25 year old technician at Progress energy's
coal fired sutton plant on march 15.
they did not fully purge the hydrogen from the generator he
was working on.
article is in todays star news, a little oops on their part
so oops's do happen, hopefully nobody will
be picnicking in the parking lot should a bigger oops happen at their
nuclear power plant.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:17 PM

805 posts, read 2,003,583 times
Movey... luv ya ta death, but, once again you do NOT get it...... you obviously have not been following the saga..... we have not bought property in St James or anywhere else ..... we are absolutely free spirits..... leasing there for a while but absolutely intend to purchase there in the near future. A good position to have in this economy.

BUT, I will assure you again, since I know you really care, that we are not ones to sit around and worry about some accident that might, maybe happen because an accident happened somewhere else in the world...... if we felt that way we would never get into our car because of the accidents that might happen.

Regarding the parking lot, it's just as safe in that lot as it is miles away and if it does begin to glow at the plant it will be that much easier to see what we're grillin' when the sun goes down.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:18 PM

572 posts, read 1,610,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
Ah, I get it what you are saying stonecreek67,

you already bought a house in st. james plantation and
want to feel secure about your choice hence trying to convince everybody,
[that might be reasonably concerned] that living close to a nuclear plant is just dandy.
well, bless your heart.
Yep. Sounds accurate to me.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:53 PM

700 posts, read 1,645,815 times
Default Heard a good one on the news tonight!!

They were talking to a shimper guy. About how the oil spill affected him and his business. He said that you have a choice. You can eat Gulf shimp and worry about the oil taste or get Pacific shrimp that glow in the dark. Live in fear or live.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:01 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,399,264 times
third choice,
eat NO shrimp and don't put up with
the polution of our waters.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:10 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,419,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laura donnell View Post
jiust started the process of moving to st. james plantation. realize there is a nuclear power plant in new brunswick, 3 miles away. i am surprised that no one in or out of st james has ever mentioned it. in the wake of the japan disaster, i have so many fears. even though i know we are not prone to earthquakes or tsunamis, please someone help allay my fears and doubts. everyone seemed so happy and content at st. james, are they
just ignorant or what?
You'll get killed by a drunk driver, run over by a bus or any one of a zillion ways that we sneak by with our lives daily before you have an issue from a nuke plant. Look at how much damage it took to cause the issue on an antiquated plant. The chances of all that happening are astronomical plus the fact plants haven't been designed like that in 40 years. A coal plant will give you cancer long before a nuke plant will microwave you.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:43 PM

50 posts, read 111,631 times
I can understand your concern. However, the odds of an earthquake causing core damage at Brunswick (what happened with Fukushima) are 1 in 67,000. In total, eight deaths in the US were at a nuclear power plant, and weren't from radiation, but from electrocution, and three from an explosion in the 60's, and today's nuclear plants are much safer. This is over the whole time we have had nuclear plants in the US. Did you know throughout a 17-year time period from 1978 to 1995, almost 40 people were killed from a vending machine? You are more likely to be killed by a vending machine than a nuclear power plant. The probability of an accident is very low. Security is very high too. You can even fish and eat the fish in the cooling water discharge canals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina