Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 01:59 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,673,430 times

Advertisements

dear heaven help me, i am actually considering an HOA neighborhood. I expect lightening to strike me down any moment now...

not so much because i want to but because hubby has fallen in love with a house. and the house we were considering sold so... the search continues...

I know there are always anti HOA folks (believe me, im in that camp too) but.. how bad IS landfall?

Our realtor got us a copy of the covenants, and I didnt see anything in there that bothered me. I dont like someone TELLING me i have to keep my yard mowed (haha) but nothing in our habits or general standard of living would go against the HOA rules I read.

but the covenants don't always tell the real story.

Is it horribly bad living there? Are there many kids? Do I have to get permission to hang up xmas lights (I do classy, not tacky tinsel tour material LOL)? Are the neighbors generally friendly (I dont want someone coming over all the time, but having them wave or say hi when you drive or walk by is nice....).

I am in general a very keep to myself person and not crazy about people who want to know every minute detail about me, or are gossip mongers....

I just want the inside scoop from people WHO LIVE IN LANDFALL OR HAVE LIVED IN LANDFALL.

Biggest benefits?
Biggest downfalls?

thanks everyone. I am tired of looking and ready to find something, and ready to get down there instead of living there a weekend or week at a time LOL

Clarification: landfall S/D in wilmington

Last edited by suedonym; 03-27-2011 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 03:45 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,399,264 times
last we visited friends in Landfall for a small b-day party ,
we had to park in the street, within 10 minutes there was
a security guard at the door telling us to move car from street asap!

they live on a pretty wide side street , no reason for us to have to move,
we had to put our car on their lawn, how pretty is that?

we are not HOA people either so I feel for you.
from what we have seen when allowed in, is a very, very pretty neighborhood .

have you guys looked in Turtle Hall , Shinnwood or Forest Hills ?

good luck and welcome.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
last we visited friends in Landfall for a small b-day party ,
we had to park in the street, within 10 minutes there was
a security guard at the door telling us to move car from street asap!

they live on a pretty wide side street , no reason for us to have to move,
we had to put our car on their lawn, how pretty is that?

we are not HOA people either so I feel for you.
from what we have seen when allowed in, is a very, very pretty neighborhood .

have you guys looked in Turtle Hall , Shinnwood or Forest Hills ?

good luck and welcome.

I had to pull my copy of the covenants because i remembered seeing something about it (street parking) in them - and i found it. It looks like had the homeowner 'gotten permission' from the security office or whatever, you could have parked there for the party.

stupid rule. sigh....

we haven't really targeted specific neighborhoods, moreso house size and/or if it has a guesthouse (or the ability/ room to build a guest house) that is a real house (kitchen, etc) as my grandparents will be living with us and ideally would have their own space (ie: away from our pets. they like them but not as much as we do LOL). The house that we lost the offer on didnt have a guest house, but had more than enough room to build one, which we would have been willing to do.

the things we do for love...LOL

its definitely the house/property and not the neighborhood that will be a deciding factor for us.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:53 AM

572 posts, read 1,610,045 times
Wow. To not be a fan of HOA's you sure picked Wilmington's number one subdivision for extremely strict rules and convenants.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
Wow. To not be a fan of HOA's you sure picked Wilmington's number one subdivision for extremely strict rules and convenants.
yeah grumble grumble grumble snort

part of why im trying to find out just what its REALLY like in there- since us commoners can exactly go ask around the neighborhood LOL

Old 03-28-2011, 12:25 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
I just want the inside scoop from people WHO LIVE IN LANDFALL OR HAVE LIVED IN LANDFALL.
i am sure some some kindly landfall residents will be along any moment now, to answer your questions.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:44 PM

128 posts, read 508,841 times
I do not reside in Landfall but from my experience the HOA is very strict. It is one of just two in the Wilmington area that prohibits real estate appraisers from taking photographs of comparable properties. Luckily I haven't been scolded by the security patrol for breaking that rule which I do quite regularly.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaAppraiser View Post
I do not reside in Landfall but from my experience the HOA is very strict. It is one of just two in the Wilmington area that prohibits real estate appraisers from taking photographs of comparable properties. Luckily I haven't been scolded by the security patrol for breaking that rule which I do quite regularly.
thats just crazy. sigh....

we have an appt to go look at it this weekend. im sure the house is fine, i just have a lot of reservations about the neighborhood. our agent lives in landfall, so i dont think i trust an unbiased opinion from him on it. we are not into golf, the club holds no interest... its just the house hubby is so interested in....wish it were somewhere else.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:09 PM

11 posts, read 26,672 times
Landfill?? It's kind of 'retired, un-real, relocated housewives of ILM'?? Very homogeneous- doctors, retirees, real estate professionals, etc. Not as family friendly as you may think- most residents send kids to private academy (Cape Fear). HOA rules are actually pretty well written and allow for more 'custom' homes than many other subdivisions (e.g. Porter's Neck, or any where in Brunswick Co.- AVOID at all costs, very generic!!!....). Hypocracy galore that folks complain about high water bills, when they mandate sprinkers, lawn and everything is focused around 3 golf courses. I'm currently assisting two younger families escape the walled development (i refuse to call it a 'community' or 'neighborhood' since it is neither) for a better family oriented, less-Gestapo lifestyle.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:47 AM

'walled development' LOL that made me giggle :P

were going to be sending my youngest (who is in preschool right now) to the 'Friends' school. My daughter will finish out middle school there, as well. Don't know about HS right now. Guess ill figure it out in the next year or so (dont have much choice lol)

I've looked at CFA, but I honestly don't know if my daughter could get in LOL. I mean, shes bright, but the rural NC school system (which is what shes been in since kindy) just doesnt seem to be as rigorous as CFA LOL. I hate to say it, but shes one of these kids that if she gets a C in math, im happy. She asked me the other day if she got an A in math if I would give her $20 - i told her if she got an A in math, I'd give her $50 LMAO (maybe she knows something i dont LOL)

We're going to go look at the house tomorrow. I'm really hoping that the house we 'lost' - on river road- that something happens with their financing or something and it comes back on the market... or, that hubby doesnt like this house as much as he THINKS he does. Theres 2 others we are going to look at - one off futch creek (i think) its been on the market for awhile and the other i dont remember where (but i know its not in landfall) ... We've about ruled out every property in the area (Which is why we finally decided to at least consider landfall) that would work for us, so its getting to the point where we may have to consider building, and I really don't want to go through that (time wise)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina