Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 03:52 PM

6 posts, read 24,235 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am going to be a new graduate very soon, I am going to accept a job offer in Whitakers NC and will be looking to relocate within a month or two. I have lived in large cities or college towns all my life and I am looking for a fun and safe town with nice dining and night life options. Some one on the NC forum very kindly suggested that I look at Greenville as that should tick all the marks. I would greatly appreciate any inputs that people here may have. I am single, I shall be renting an apartment and would like to be around young people.

Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 08:55 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
It's about 40 miles from Whitakers to Greenville, so I wouldn't want to commute every day. Possibly Tarboro would have the basic amenities you want, and you could take weekend trips for your social life.

BTW, you mentioned pubs. Has anyone has been in the Gators Sports Bar or the Northgreen Sports Bar in Rocky Mount. There's a country club area on the north side of Rocky Mount so I find it hard to believe it's as terrible as people write.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:39 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Congrats on landing a job. In NC these days they are few and far between.

I think you can remove "cities" from your vocabulary. You have a job in a very rural area of NC.
Yes, Greenville is a fairly decent town, with a large college, so it will have a lot of the stuff you are used to, but it is too far a commute, IMHO.

To be happy, you are gonna have to adjust to your new environment, and develop new interest. Look at it this way, college is now in the rear view mirror, you future is out the front. an occasional peak in the rear view mirror is good, but focussing on that will result in a crash.

Good Luck, and welcome to NC.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:42 AM

77 posts, read 150,853 times
Is Rocky Mount really as bad as everyone says/seems to think? I know from watching the news and working in the morgue at PCMH that there a lot of homicides there. That would seem to be the nearest city.

Knowing what I know now after living in the east for almost three years and previously living exclusively in large metros and/or college towns, if I had to live east of 95, I'd pick the Greenville area first, New Bern/Jacksonville second, Morehead third (mainly just because of beach access) and then nowhere else.

Agree with the other posters that a commute from Greenville is not practical.

If you think you are not going to be happy unless you find a "fun and safe town with nice dining and night life options", you should really think hard about this job. If you have never lived in a rural area before, it is a big difference and I can almost guarantee you will not enjoy it, even with lowered expectations.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:19 AM

149 posts, read 596,615 times
If the job is good, I wouldn't let the commute stop you. It looks like an hour drive (mapquest) to Greenville. I've worked with people that did more than twice that in order to live where they wanted. Of course it depends on the individual. Some people don't like having to commute more than 10 min. while others think nothing of a 2 hour commute. Being young is in your favor to handle a long commute. Of course you should check out Greenville and make sure you like it first. If the commute becomes to hard you can always move once you get a better feel for the area.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:20 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times
greenville is not worth an hour commute. i dont care where you live.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:15 PM

264 posts, read 907,858 times
That area is part of my sales territory. As a young person you may find this area as very quiet but hey its a job and in this economy thats a good thing. I would look at Tarboro and maybe even Raleigh. Its hwy 64 and 95 with everyone going 70 mph plus from Raleigh. Many commute from Rocky Mount to Raleigh you would be going the other way.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:30 PM

278 posts, read 577,154 times
Many Rocky Mount citizens are currently moving to Wilson, we are 30 minutes from Raleigh, and Greenville, as well as Whitakers. And since it sits close to I-95 Whitakers maybe closer than 30 minutes. We do have several active nice bars in town.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,361 times
Hey man.. I have the same situation here and Ive decided to live in Greenville and drive to RM everyday. I work in Whitakers.. Well if you want decide to live in Greenville I dont mind car pooling if our timing allows us to.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:26 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rango_matrix007 View Post
I work in Whitakers..
What's going on in Whitakers that 2 people from outside the area find jobs there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina