Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2007, 07:12 PM

12 posts, read 43,807 times

Advertisements

Hi we are interested in living on the coast and have 3 teen sons. What areas are the best for them to meet others their age? Initially we liked the looks of pamlico county...from maps, due to our desire to sail. We would love to live on the water and those areas seemed more reasonable with good access to many sailing destinations. Of course our boys come first so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, CJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 08:35 PM

713 posts, read 3,929,917 times
Smile Intracoastal runs through the area

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_jaros View Post
Hi we are interested in living on the coast and have 3 teen sons. What areas are the best for them to meet others their age? Initially we liked the looks of pamlico county...from maps, due to our desire to sail. We would love to live on the water and those areas seemed more reasonable with good access to many sailing destinations. Of course our boys come first so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, CJ
I would guess that you need to find an area you like and then look for a subdivision or community with your boys in mind.

We live in the western end of Carteret County. My site with area info is called Southern Outer Banks.

We have lots of sail boats passing through on the Intracoastal but outside of that our sounds are more suitable for skiffs than sailing.

Here is the info on Carteret County Schools.

Oriental bills itself as the sailing capital of NC, but I have never been there so I can't help.

You can find quick census data on NC Counties at this interactive map. Just click on the county.

You can find climate data at this link.

If you plug in your own zip code, you can get an idea of how your current heating and cooling requirements compare to any area.

Click here (broken link) for an explanation of CCD and HDD.

You might also want to check out NC's flood maps. They can save you a lot of trouble.

Had someone given me the choice to live here as a teenager, I would have jumped on it, but I love to fish and do also sorts of outdoor things.

Come visit Emerald Isle, enjoy the beaches and see how you like it.

If I can answer any questions, don't hesitate to get in touch.

-David Sobotta

Old 10-25-2007, 01:28 PM

4 posts, read 29,056 times
Default Move To Oriental

If you need schools forget about it, Retirees make up most of the people that live there. there are no jobs unless you can farm or fish. there are alot of sail boats and great water but for teens there is nothing to do.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:54 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,876,121 times
Would you consider the SC coast? There are a few nice areas south of Myrtle Beach that have good access to the ocean, Winyah Bay & the ICW. It is also only an hour or so by car to Charleston. I'm in Pawleys Island, which is a very family friendly community, and the schools are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina