Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 09:32 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

A little OT, but two BIG things to consider when comparing NC to FL: The cost of taxes (real estate, personal income taxes and sales taxes) and the cost of homeowner's insurance if you are living anywhere near the coast.

We ended up in NC for a variety of reasons, but tax wise, we would have been WAY better off in FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 01:00 PM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
A little OT, but two BIG things to consider when comparing NC to FL: The cost of taxes (real estate, personal income taxes and sales taxes) and the cost of homeowner's insurance if you are living anywhere near the coast.

We ended up in NC for a variety of reasons, but tax wise, we would have been WAY better off in FL.
Isnt HO insurance crazy expensive in Florida though...heard it can outweigh the tax issues.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:47 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Isnt HO insurance crazy expensive in Florida though...heard it can outweigh the tax issues.
In some areas, yes. The closer you get to living on the waterfront. The type and age of construction also mattered.

It's not a statewide generalization, nor is it limited just to the Florida waterfront.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:54 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Default Compass Pointe/Brunswick Forest in Leland, NC

Can anyone tell me if there are Jewish couples and or Families that live in either development?

Thank You

We are doing some research and this type of community is exactly what we are looking for, not ready to buy just yet but exploring the possibilities...

Last edited by Swimmom32; 08-03-2013 at 10:11 AM..

Old 08-05-2013, 04:01 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Reviving this thread...We lived in South Florida for 3 years moved back to Charlotte and are deciding if we want to Return to Florida or Look in the Wilmington Area...We have researched different places, I know the Property Tax in Brunswick County is much less than South Florida and Home Owners insurance is less as well as Car Insurance...The difference will be Price of homes considering you get more for your money in NC than in South Florida...I do agree its a personal Decision and not an easy one...Biggest downfall for South Florida is cost of living, Biggest downfall in NC is the income tax its way high...We are now researching Compass Pointe as it looks really beautiful and they do not have communities like this in South Florida and the communities like these are older and 55 plus..We are in the middle we are too young to retire but have older children so this community would be perfect...

We are also looking at Brunswick Forest too...

Old 08-07-2013, 06:23 PM

13 posts, read 32,809 times
I recently purchased a lot in compass pointe and in MY opinion there is nothing like it anywhere. I went looking at a bunch of community's and nothing appealed to me like cp not to trash the other community's but it's like being on vacation everyday there it give's you a tropical feel. It may not appeal to everyone right now but when cp is finished it's going to be unbelievable. As far as a sound barrier they did put up a berm that runs across where the connecter is going to be and if that doesn't help they will make it bigger. That's the word coming from cp.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,889 times
Hi! I can't speak specifically to Jewish families, however there are Synagogues around Leland and Wilmington. From personal experience, I know Compass Pointe is a beautiful community with lots of great amenities, and the homeowners are very friendly. It's a leisurely lifestyle there because of the golf cart paths, palm trees and amenities. I know some people who live there and they absolutely love it, and its 8 minutes in to downtown Wilmington which is great.

Hi! Compass Pointe has been around for 8 years or so and is definitely financially sound. The developers have built over 100 neighborhoods so they know what they're doing. I heard about the highway too, but it is not next to any houses within Compass Pointe so noise shouldn't be a problem. Besides, the entrance (soon to be two entrances) are set back away from the highway so once you enter the gates you don't even realize you just came from Highway 74/76 (no noise at all). I agree with FDNY'S Bravest comment that when CP is done it will be unbelievable. It definitely has a leisurely feel because of the golf cart paths, palm trees, and friendly neighbors.

Compass Pointe expects to be mostly retirees but that is not done on purpose, it's just how it turned out. CP has a lot of amenities and are financially sound to build out everything else they have planned. I think it's a great option for those without young kids because it's not right next to the beach so it is less expensive and has even less traffic, and has a little bit of a separated, leisurely lifestyle feel. Make an appointment with CP to get a real tour, they have a lot of grew things inside the gates.

Compass Pointe has a grown a lot, they have over 250 homes up and built and mostly lived in. They have the most beautiful Grand Lanai and pool area and are almost done with an impressive-looking Fitness Center. Google ariel view doesn't do it justice. I was there recently and every detail looks perfect. The ariel google shot doesn't show much completed so don't let it fool you. I would say make an appointment to see how much they've completed, it looks great.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-01-2014 at 06:55 AM..

Old 03-02-2014, 09:48 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,502,132 times
just wondering, will they have a beach house like St James and Ocean Ridge?

Old 03-25-2014, 09:53 AM

12 posts, read 23,328 times
I haven't seen many posts to this thread about Compass Pointe lately. I just read somewhere that the golf course was no longer listed as under construction? Anyone know anything about this? Any other new comments as I have also been looking into this community but have not been able to get down there to check it out.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:13 PM

149 posts, read 596,187 times
The golf course is under construction at this time. The latest I've heard is that it should be completed by the end of the year and be open for play around the summer of 2015.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina