Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 08:50 AM

25 posts, read 39,379 times

Advertisements

After my last post I realized it may be best to just state what we're looking for and ask for suggestions on areas that might meet our needs. I'll just do a quick list below of what we're ideally searching for in a location:

- Country setting - well water, rural, pine trees, good land for a home garden, raising chickens and possibly a grass fed cow

- Good schools

- We'd prefer to be within an hour of a beach, but that's not absolutely necessary

- Affordable land - most in NC does seem very affordable so far compared to PA

- Low crime rate, of course!

- We're looking in NC because we like the climate, but would be open to other states as well. We want a longer, warmer summer but do enjoy having a touch of Spring, Fall and Winter as well.

I think that's really about it! With DH's job we can pretty much relocate anywhere, so any suggestions on good areas we should check into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 09:21 AM

13,384 posts, read 27,173,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemom2014 View Post
- Country setting - well water, rural, pine trees, good land for a home garden, raising chickens and possibly a grass fed cow

- Good schools

- We'd prefer to be within an hour of a beach, but that's not absolutely necessary

- Affordable land - most in NC does seem very affordable so far compared to PA
Newport and Carteret County are the usual recommendation for good schools on the coast. You might look at listings like these to see if they suit, and please note the school ratings in the "schools " tab. I can't swear that they are "good" soil, however the one on Danny Garner Road is surrounded by corn fields in the outdoor photo. You might also look for a former farm.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...71-56873?row=1
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...04-39841?row=2

Old 07-30-2014, 12:59 PM

264 posts, read 909,852 times
Camden County. One hour from the Outer Banks.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:23 AM

3,088 posts, read 4,889,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerguy45 View Post
Camden County. One hour from the Outer Banks.
I agree with this...folks from the Tidewater area move to Camden County (and northern Currituck Co) to spread out and like the county schools in the area. Saw recently that Currituck Co has the lowest unemployment rate in the State of NC.

Its still rural, fairly unspoiled, and..at least Camden, is still affordable. It may not be for long, it was trending upward fast prior to the recession and has now slowed down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: