Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2016, 07:58 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
First the Serena Inn, now the Irish Inn.

Goldsboro News-Argus | News: Authorities raid Irish Inn

About time! Too bad those two motels weren't shut down for good and torn down. It would go a long way towards cleaning up the US-70 corridor. But at least it finally got the city's much needed attention.
Goldsboro should seriously consider an ordinance for nuisance lodgers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 07:55 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,815,906 times
Goldsboro News-Argus | News: Internet gaming business seeks permit

Quote:
The owner of a former internet sweepstakes gaming business on South Berkeley Boulevard is seeking a conditional-use permit to reopen in the Village Square Shopping Center.

Parkash Patel is seeking the permit that would allow the opening, with 40 sweepstake gaming stations, at 207 S. Berkeley Blvd., near Elm Street and the Seymour Johnson Air Force Base gate.

Owners of the adjacent All American Barber Shop spoke in opposition of the reopening during a Nov. 21 public hearing, citing safety, trash and excessive noise concerns. Patel said the business wouldn't create disruption in the shopping center.

No Alcoholic Beverage Control permits are being sought, and the business hours would be limited from 7 a.m. to 2 a.m.

The permit request is the second in a month that the planning commission has reviewed. The board voted Nov. 14 to recommend to the City Council a conditional-use permit for an internet sweepstakes business at 1813 N. Berkeley Blvd., near New Hope Road. The council approved the permit last week.

The planning commission will make a recommendation to the City Council to deny or approve the permit. The council, which is not bound by planning board decisions, will cast the deciding vote at its Dec. 5 meeting.

Also on Monday, the commission will consider a rezoning request to change a lot at 3001 and 3003 E. Ash St., from a residential to a general business conditional district for a bar. The city's zoning ordinance requires a 200-foot separation distance from a residential zone, church and school. The property, which previously operated as Al's Place, is about 100 feet from residential areas.

The business also needs to be at least 150 feet from another place of entertainment, but is immediately adjacent to Heroes Sports Oyster Bar and Grill. A distance modification would need to be approved for the request to pass.

The board will also consider:
• A conditional use permit for the operation of a car lot at 2011 U.S. 70 West. Used car sales are a permitted use in the highway business zoning district.

• A site plan for 2.6 acres along 104 Tenth Place, where three new rental storage buildings would be added to Ample Storage Goldsboro.

Old 11-27-2016, 08:24 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,021,056 times
I don't think it would be a problem for Al's Place to become a bar again. I wonder why that place even shut down? My dad is a biker type...he used to hang out there all the time. I don't really remember the place being a nuisance at all.

I am excited about Lidl opening up. I love Aldi. Since I live in Fremont, I do visit the one in Wilson sometimes. However, it's pretty much the only reason I ever go to Wilson, so it'd be nice to check out Lidl while in Goldsboro for other things.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I am excited about Lidl opening up. I love Aldi. Since I live in Fremont, I do visit the one in Wilson sometimes. However, it's pretty much the only reason I ever go to Wilson, so it'd be nice to check out Lidl while in Goldsboro for other things.
Yeah, we used to go to Aldi in Wilson a lot. I drove by there 2 months ago and they were remodeling the store. Also went to Fred's Food Club often.

Fremont hasn't really changed since I last lived there, though I can't help but wonder why on earth they stripped the playground at Peele Park. I stopped at the park to sit and take a break and noticed they took away the jungle gym, see-saws, merry-go-round, and the slide. There was nothing left but the swings and a soccer goal. WTF? Obviously I have no use for any of those things anymore, but me and my friends used to play there alot when we were kids in the 90's-early 00's and I can't help but wonder what kids today are supposed to do now. The tennis/basketball court still looks like crap. The concrete is in terrible shape. I read somewhere 2 or 3 years ago that Fremont was trying to get a fast food restaurant to open up at the I-795 exit. I guess it didn't pan out.

Pikeville really surprised me. The new Dollar General is way better than the old Piggly Wiggly building they were using. I also never thought I'd see an AutoZone there! I wish they were there when I lived in Fremont. It would've saved many trips to Goldsboro! Lol! That little town is doing good business! I know John Joyner had to happy when that Walmart Express closed. I remember when John freaked out when Food Lion first opened in Pikeville.

The new US-70 Bypass around Goldsboro really helped take traffic off of US-70 through the city. It was much easier driving through Goldsboro. Berkeley Boulevard was still jammed from the widening project. NCDOT should be finished by now. I don't know how that Kmart is still open. I went in there and there were hardly any customers. That used to be a jumping place. It's a sad sight now. I didn't get a chance to check out the rest of the city since I was on a severe time constraint. I'm hoping to take another trip there in January or February.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:57 PM

Goldsboro News-Argus | News: Commission tables sweepstakes vote

Quote:
A permit request for an internet sweepstakes gaming business on South Berkeley Boulevard was tabled by the Goldsboro Planning Commission Monday at the request of the applicant.

Parkash Patel asked for the 30-day delay so he could work out concerns voiced by nearby business owners located in the Village Square Shopping Center.

Patel is seeking a conditional-use permit that would allow the opening of the internet sweepstakes business with 40 gaming stations at 207 S. Berkeley Blvd. near Elm Street.

Concerns were recently voiced by the owners of the All American Barber Shop, also located in the shopping center, due to issues stemming from a sweepstakes operation that was previously open at the same location.

Chris Boyette, chairman of the Goldsboro Planning Commission, recused himself from the planning board's vote Monday.

After the meeting, Boyette, also the owner of the Village Square Shopping Center, said a meeting is being planned in an effort to address some of the concerns voiced by area business and property owners.

Patel, who owns several hotels and Subway restaurants in Goldsboro and Wilson, is not the previous owner of the internet sweepstakes parlor that used to operate in the shopping center, Boyette said.

Nearby business owners recently voiced opposition to the gaming operation citing safety, trash and excessive noise concerns, as well as a potential drop in business traffic.

During the planning commission meeting, the board voted to:

* Deny a rezoning 3001 and 3003 E. Ash St. from a residential to a general business conditional district for a bar due a number of requested modifications from city zoning rules, including setbacks, parking and separation distances from entertainment and residential properties.

* Approve a conditional-use permit for the operation of a used car lot at 2011 U.S. 70 West.

* Approve a site plan for 2.6 acres along 104 Tenth Place where three new rental storage buildings would be added to Ample Storage Goldsboro.

The planning commission decisions will be recommended to the Goldsboro City Council for a final vote on Dec. 5.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:05 PM

123 posts, read 522,550 times
Several new businesses have opened or planning to open in downtown Goldsboro recently, Tobacco & Hops, Off Center Pizzeria, Skin Therapy Day Spa by Beth and Goldsboro Brew Works which is the first micro brewery for the downtown, this project is a mixed use development also bringing three more apartments to the area.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Yeah, we used to go to Aldi in Wilson a lot. I drove by there 2 months ago and they were remodeling the store. Also went to Fred's Food Club often.

Fremont hasn't really changed since I last lived there, though I can't help but wonder why on earth they stripped the playground at Peele Park. I stopped at the park to sit and take a break and noticed they took away the jungle gym, see-saws, merry-go-round, and the slide. There was nothing left but the swings and a soccer goal. WTF? Obviously I have no use for any of those things anymore, but me and my friends used to play there alot when we were kids in the 90's-early 00's and I can't help but wonder what kids today are supposed to do now. The tennis/basketball court still looks like crap. The concrete is in terrible shape. I read somewhere 2 or 3 years ago that Fremont was trying to get a fast food restaurant to open up at the I-795 exit. I guess it didn't pan out.

Pikeville really surprised me. The new Dollar General is way better than the old Piggly Wiggly building they were using. I also never thought I'd see an AutoZone there! I wish they were there when I lived in Fremont. It would've saved many trips to Goldsboro! Lol! That little town is doing good business! I know John Joyner had to happy when that Walmart Express closed. I remember when John freaked out when Food Lion first opened in Pikeville.

The new US-70 Bypass around Goldsboro really helped take traffic off of US-70 through the city. It was much easier driving through Goldsboro. Berkeley Boulevard was still jammed from the widening project. NCDOT should be finished by now. I don't know how that Kmart is still open. I went in there and there were hardly any customers. That used to be a jumping place. It's a sad sight now. I didn't get a chance to check out the rest of the city since I was on a severe time constraint. I'm hoping to take another trip there in January or February.
There isn't much going on in Fremont, that's for sure. We've been living here for three years...I'm from Wayne County but grew up in the New Hope area and never ventured out this way too much. I don't know how things used to be at Joyner's, but it's not really a good place to shop these days. Their canned and boxed stuff is fine, but their produce never looks good, and their meat is often embarrassingly brown. You also have to be really careful about checking the dates on EVERYTHING. I've all but stopped going there and always just go to Pikeville instead.

I do love the new Dollar General. It's huge. I never thought I would see an Auto Zone there, either. They don't seem very busy most of the time, so I hope they can stay in business.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
There isn't much going on in Fremont, that's for sure. We've been living here for three years...I'm from Wayne County but grew up in the New Hope area and never ventured out this way too much. I don't know how things used to be at Joyner's, but it's not really a good place to shop these days. Their canned and boxed stuff is fine, but their produce never looks good, and their meat is often embarrassingly brown. You also have to be really careful about checking the dates on EVERYTHING. I've all but stopped going there and always just go to Pikeville instead.
Haha, I'm not surprised. John was always notorious for trying to sell expired food at reduced prices. He's been doing that since we first moved to Fremont in 1995. He's one of the biggest cheapskates I've ever met. That store has always been run that way. He nearly got in trouble a few times over the years by the health inspector. Back then, we usually went to Piggly Wiggly in Pikeville, which was owned by Wayne McKinney, who also owned several other Piggly Wiggly stores in eastern NC. It closed in early 2000 and Food Lion came into town shortly after that. John's brother, Cliff, also ran a store in Nashville but he closed it a little over 10 years ago. John's a pretty nice guy, but he runs a sloppy business.

Quote:
I do love the new Dollar General. It's huge. I never thought I would see an Auto Zone there, either. They don't seem very busy most of the time, so I hope they can stay in business.
I was just glad to see the old Family Dollar and Walmart buildings being put to good use. Family Dollar built it brand new around 2006 IIRC. I guess they couldn't compete with two Dollar General stores within a 3 mile radius. I also hope AutoZone sticks around there. I didn't care for the CarQuest in Pikeville. I went there in 2005 to buy a new bulb for a tail light and the guy working there was chit-chatting with his buddy while blatantly ignoring me for 20 minutes. I gave up and left and got what I needed at the AutoZone on Ash Street in Goldsboro.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:01 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,706,855 times
I've always wondered what happened to Goldsboro. My dad's side of the family is from the area. My dad grew up there and went to school there and it was a nice place back in the 60s and 70s. After my dad and grandparents moved away, the place started to go downhill. My grandparents' old neighborhood is super ghetto now.

I'm guessing the jobs dried up and moved to Raleigh or out of state, so did the working class folks.

The last time I was there (back in 2010 maybe), it seemed like the town was really getting cleaned up.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I've always wondered what happened to Goldsboro. My dad's side of the family is from the area. My dad grew up there and went to school there and it was a nice place back in the 60s and 70s. After my dad and grandparents moved away, the place started to go downhill. My grandparents' old neighborhood is super ghetto now.

I'm guessing the jobs dried up and moved to Raleigh or out of state, so did the working class folks.

The last time I was there (back in 2010 maybe), it seemed like the town was really getting cleaned up.
Some of the neighborhoods in the city limits have gone south. They fixed up Center Street and made it really nice, though, and they are always hosting events downtown. There has been a lot of growth all over Goldsboro business-wise. I'd say Goldsboro is doing pretty well, for the most part. Crime seems to have gotten worse in the city limits as of late, but they do seem to be addressing it as best as they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina