Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 05:58 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times

Advertisements

By law; no public university in NC can accept more than 15% out of state freshman or transfers (85% NC resident requirement; which many people say hurts funding and quality of the schools but I disagree; another argument for another time).

ECU has made strides in the last few years but is generally considered a safety-net school for in-state NC residents as well. The campus is really nice but Greenville is....not so nice. Pretty high crime-rate even for a college town.

ECU as a post-grad university is much more competitive. Many UNC or NC State (the two more top-tier public universities in NC) undergrad students end up going to ECU for grad school. Even with App State and UNC-W being considered a "tier up" from ECU for undergrad level; their research and post-grad programs are teeny tiny compared to ECU.

Best advice would be to check it out in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 06:13 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,763,015 times
ECU's campus is most beautiful in the Spring when the flowers are in a fresh, full bloom.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:36 PM

660 posts, read 658,253 times
I see a poster here recommend NC State. I didn't really look there unfortunately. It is too late to apply to it anyways. My shot of UNC is basically 0.

I have read some posts about Greenville not being the nicest area, so can you guys tell me about Greenville? And academically, would UNC be rated above or below U of R? Obviously athletically UNC is strides above U or R. Sorry for all the questions!

Old 01-26-2016, 09:07 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
UNC-Chapel Hill would be above University of Rochester, that's the U of R you speak of? It's also larger. It's a little hard to find the data separated out into in-state vs out of state scores needed, but it's pretty difficult for out of state students to get into.

ECU would be easier to get into than Rochester.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:59 PM

181 posts, read 240,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
By law; no public university in NC can accept more than 15% out of state freshman or transfers (85% NC resident requirement; which many people say hurts funding and quality of the schools but I disagree; another argument for another time).

ECU has made strides in the last few years but is generally considered a safety-net school for in-state NC residents as well. The campus is really nice but Greenville is....not so nice. Pretty high crime-rate even for a college town.

ECU as a post-grad university is much more competitive. Many UNC or NC State (the two more top-tier public universities in NC) undergrad students end up going to ECU for grad school. Even with App State and UNC-W being considered a "tier up" from ECU for undergrad level; their research and post-grad programs are teeny tiny compared to ECU.

Best advice would be to check it out in person.
Good to know on the laws of admissions. And to the guy earlier in the thread, sorry for my mix-up. My first post was based on that incorrect research that I'd done.

Yeah, I'd overall agree with this. At this point, ECU's growth has been somewhat backward - mainly because of the needs of the area in the late 90s, early-mid 2000's. Its medical programs really launched upward alongside the hospital at that time. The partnership that developed between Vidant (then UHS/Pit Mem) and ECU, along with the neonatal and heart research that was going on, it really helped their post-grad and doctoral programs in medicine and health sciences gain respectability pretty quickly. The recession kept the growth from becoming multifaceted.

At this point, ECU is now finally making that circle back around to, I guess you could say "renovating" its undergrad programs. They've got the tech and science programs making strides (especially if that bond builds the 90 mil science building), the wealthy Generation X'ers that graduated from the business school are finally starting to get to that point that they can donate high dollars. Facility expenditures are back post-recession, so it's a University with a strong amount of potential at this point.

I see Greenville the same way. The metric when looking at Greenville is very simple because the demographics of the city are very black and white (and when I say that I mean there is little "gray area"). There is poverty, and there are well-compensated educated folks. Those are essentially your two classes in Greenville.

With that said, the well-compensated educated folks want things to do. They're tired of a boring city with bad roads and crime. So, now there's a vested interest in investing in the city limits and growing the city core. So, with that comes 4 or 5 walkable center city apartment projects, $100s of millions in yearly downtown investment - be it commercial/office/hotel/ECU, $100 million in infrastructure improvements, the 10th street connector, etc. There's energy in the area, even if it is an underdog.

To our young friend that is considering East Carolina - I'll say this. The Greenville that you'll visit in 2016 is going to be unrecognizable to the Greenville that you'll leave when you graduate in 2020 (or 2021 if you enjoy your time at ECU like I and others did ). I for one relish the potential and growth in the area right now, and I'm glad to be a part of something small evolving into something bigger.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:39 PM

660 posts, read 658,253 times
Thanks everyone, will be reading all your new posts after I finish reading this. ECU is not my 1st choice, but after hearing all good things about ECU, ECU is probably my 2nd choice. I know ECU is not the best school academically, but I am not considering the best academic school. All of the schools I applied to have good academics and known nationally. Like U of R is the best academically here, but their tuition is very high (higher than all of the out of state schools I applied to) and doesn't have very good or strong athletics. If every school accepts me (I doubt it tough), I would probably arrange my order like this including my factors (2 and 3 are interchangeable) and I was rejected by Stony Brook:

1. Syracuse
2. Eastern Carolina
3. Binghamton
4. Virginia Tech
5. Buffalo
6. UCONN
7. UNC
8. U of R

Old 01-27-2016, 08:48 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,595,835 times
It's not Eastern Carolina University. That's a very sore point around here.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:54 AM

893 posts, read 1,342,075 times
yeah - saying 'Eastern' Carolina around here might get you slapped just as fast as saying Eastern NC BBQ is terrible.

Last edited by jpirate; 01-28-2016 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: w

Old 01-28-2016, 09:06 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
It's also not Northern Carolina. East Carolina is in North Carolina. Easy to remember.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:04 AM

181 posts, read 240,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
yeah - saying 'Eastern' Carolina around here might get you slapped just as fast as saying Eastern NC BBQ is terrible.
Well, at least we got that out of the way before he got down here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina