Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 09:32 PM

660 posts, read 660,590 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here know about East Carolina? When I applied to it a few months ago, I really only had it as a safety school in case my other schools didn't accept me. But EC is coming more and more of an attractive option. I haven't visited their campus, but from pictures it looks stunning. Their sports fans are hardcore and support their team even if the team sucks which is awesome. Their tuition is low for even an out of state student. Just a few questions about ECU:

1. How do you view their computer science program?
2. How is campus life?
3. I have a 3.8 GPA and got an 1840 on the SAT. Is that enough to get accepted into ECU? Reading more about it it seems that people got rejected with almost the same scores as me.
4. How does it compare to other schools I applied to: Syracuse, UCONN, Binghamton, Stony Brook, etc?
5. How are the dorms and food?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 05:00 AM

13,380 posts, read 27,137,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesa123 View Post
Does anyone here know about East Carolina? When I applied to it a few months ago, I really only had it as a safety school in case my other schools didn't accept me.
I don't think you should really regard ECU as a "safety school" any more. It is becoming more of a top-choice school.

We heard something innovative about the computer or technology program. It may have been a 3-D printing laboratory?? Don't remember details.

I can't really answer other questions, except to note that many students move off campus after the first couple of years. The apartments in Greenville are not the greatest or safest places to live. (But they are probably good places to party.)

I'd suggest picking another "safety school" in your home state. Your other choices (eg Stony Brook and UConn) have quite competive admissions.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:06 AM

150 posts, read 228,043 times
For computer science, NC State has a really good program and you will be able to find employment in the triangle after graduation.

Costs should be similar to ECU.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:09 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,384,334 times
If you're a resident of NC those scores should easily get you into ECU. From out of state I don't know.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:14 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,881,250 times
I agree that ECU should not be looked at as a safety school, particularly if you are coming in from out of state. ECU HAS to enroll about 82% of its freshmen class with in state students (as do UNC, NC State, etc...). So that other 18% starts to get competitive, particularly because of ECU's proximity to Virginia. Virginia's in state tuition is higher and many students end of going to North Carolina.

As for the school itself, you should absolutely take a visit, Easter Break this year would be an ideal time. The weather will likely be around 70 during the day and the flowers starting to bloom. Recommend living in College Hill for the dorms, nothing wrong with the food. Plenty of full service off campus housing.

Its a full service University with a broad range of programs. I know a few graduates of computer science that have no problem getting good jobs.

The question may be do you prefer to come south or stay up north to go to college.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:07 PM

181 posts, read 242,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesa123 View Post
Does anyone here know about East Carolina? When I applied to it a few months ago, I really only had it as a safety school in case my other schools didn't accept me. But EC is coming more and more of an attractive option. I haven't visited their campus, but from pictures it looks stunning. Their sports fans are hardcore and support their team even if the team sucks which is awesome. Their tuition is low for even an out of state student. Just a few questions about ECU:

1. How do you view their computer science program?
2. How is campus life?
3. I have a 3.8 GPA and got an 1840 on the SAT. Is that enough to get accepted into ECU? Reading more about it it seems that people got rejected with almost the same scores as me.
4. How does it compare to other schools I applied to: Syracuse, UCONN, Binghamton, Stony Brook, etc?
5. How are the dorms and food?

Thanks for your help!
It does get competitive out of state for ECU because they state has put a mission statement to ECU to accept an abnormally high number of in-state students in comparison to other state institutions. I think you're above the borderline out of state, but you are near it. You have a definite chance of getting in and should certainly apply.

ECU is growing exponentially in just about every major category - research, facilities, academic reputation, literal population. It's becoming a more well-respected national university every year and is going up the charts pretty quickly. On top of that, like you said, it really is a beautiful school. You should absolutely tour it. Over the next five years, around $500 million is being put into the campus in either new or renovated facilities.

To the comment above about NC State, I'd apply but to be quite honest I don't think you've got the scores to get in. Their admission requirements are just above ECU's, but they do let way way more out of state students in than ECU does so it may be worth a try.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:47 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,399,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratePanther189 View Post
It does get competitive out of state for ECU because they state has put a mission statement to ECU to accept an abnormally high number of in-state students in comparison to other state institutions. I think you're above the borderline out of state, but you are near it. You have a definite chance of getting in and should certainly apply.

ECU is growing exponentially in just about every major category - research, facilities, academic reputation, literal population. It's becoming a more well-respected national university every year and is going up the charts pretty quickly. On top of that, like you said, it really is a beautiful school. You should absolutely tour it. Over the next five years, around $500 million is being put into the campus in either new or renovated facilities.

To the comment above about NC State, I'd apply but to be quite honest I don't think you've got the scores to get in. Their admission requirements are just above ECU's, but they do let way way more out of state students in than ECU does so it may be worth a try.
ECU is 12% out of state; NC State is 10%.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:07 PM

181 posts, read 242,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
ECU is 12% out of state; NC State is 10%.
Best place to find data like this isn't necessarily those college profile websites, they're typically very inaccurate. Gotta go straight to the source.

For Fall 15 - NC State is at 22.3% out of state while ECU is at 11.8%

NC State
ECU (Click Enrollment, Current Enrollment, Enrollment by Class Level and Residence)

Old 01-25-2016, 04:16 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,399,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratePanther189 View Post
Best place to find data like this isn't necessarily those college profile websites, they're typically very inaccurate. Gotta go straight to the source.

For Fall 15 - NC State is at 22.3% out of state while ECU is at 11.8%

NC State
ECU (Click Enrollment, Current Enrollment, Enrollment by Class Level and Residence)
In state undergrad percentage at State is much higher than overall percentage.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:29 PM

660 posts, read 660,590 times
Thanks for the help! Any more info?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina