Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 01:18 PM

158 posts, read 315,515 times

Advertisements

An update on the Lowes Foods at 211 and Midway:

http://www.starnewsonline.com/articl...-in-Oak-Island
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 04:02 PM

383 posts, read 891,465 times
One week from tonight I leave for SJP. I can't wait to leave the snow and ice in NJ. We had 1/2 of inch of ice on top of 3 inches of snow on Wednesday. My driveway is like a sheet of ice and I have already fallen twice. I am really done with winter.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:49 PM

11 posts, read 19,988 times
We’ve just begun to explore the area. Very interested in St James and OR but as we’vebrowse the online real estate listing we’ve notice that resales seem to stay onthe market for 200-300 days or more. We’lllikely build but am a bit concerned about property holding its value. Can anyone provide any insight? How has the local real estate responded tothe improvements in the economy?

Last edited by VirginiaJim; 02-10-2014 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: content error

Old 02-10-2014, 06:30 PM

383 posts, read 891,465 times
I can only comment on St. James. If you look at many of the resales that have been on the market for a long period of time, there is usually a reason. Location in flood plain and unrealistic pricing are two main reason. Also, some are on busy roads. If you look at the St. James map you can see many of these resales reside in the same area. I think your concerns are valid to some extent. They won't be on the market for 200 days, but you will be competing with a lot of new homes being built. I think at last count there are 1,500 additional units to be built. That is the major risk in my opinion.

Pony

Old 02-10-2014, 07:06 PM

93 posts, read 207,569 times
To add a bit to PonyPride's input .... Recognize that few houses were built during the 4-5 year global fiscal crisis; those built after the crisis are being lived in (or soon will be), those that were built prior to the crisis tend to have outdated amenities or floor plans or just older than many resale buyers would prefer.

In other words, it's a very odd market there (in SJP) now. The builders are FLUSH with business. Resellers are having a hard time selling! Buyers trying to find resale homes <8 years old are SOL.

I decided to recently build but only after an exhaustive search of current homes (for a decently sufficient period of time) provided nothing of interest. And yes ... there is a decent premium to new build construction over resale but then again, it is hard to find a resale you will be happy with.

Gatorbyter

Old 02-10-2014, 07:27 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,415,635 times
What is the "downside" to a >8 year old home in SJP? Is it simply style or are there quality of construction drawbacks? I understand the early built homes at the entrance see a lot of traffic traveling into the development but there had to be a number of "premium" lots back then. I am also assuming there have been no changes in the "specs" (no aluminum siding) of the homes over the years. Is that correct?

Old 02-11-2014, 05:06 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
What is the "downside" to a >8 year old home in SJP? Is it simply style or are there quality of construction drawbacks?
I would certainly consider a resale home if I were buying in SJP today. I don't have a detailed knowledge of construction codes, but here are a few things a resale might not have:

1. PEX piping in supply lines
2. hurricane reinforcement in the garage doors
3. Insect control systems in the walls, suck as Trexx

The other major cost items associated with a resale are the need to replace roofing and HVAC systems so many years sooner. Other costs might be the need to repaint interior walls if you can't live with the owners' color schemes.

OTOH, resales will have curtain rods and blinds, shelving and built-ins, etc that builders typically do not install. We spent about $2K after we bought a builder's spec house to put in the rods and blinds, medicine cabinets, paper holders etc.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:39 PM

605 posts, read 1,258,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorbyter View Post
To add a bit to PonyPride's input .... Recognize that few houses were built during the 4-5 year global fiscal crisis; those built after the crisis are being lived in (or soon will be), those that were built prior to the crisis tend to have outdated amenities or floor plans or just older than many resale buyers would prefer.

In other words, it's a very odd market there (in SJP) now. The builders are FLUSH with business. Resellers are having a hard time selling! Buyers trying to find resale homes <8 years old are SOL.

I decided to recently build but only after an exhaustive search of current homes (for a decently sufficient period of time) provided nothing of interest. And yes ... there is a decent premium to new build construction over resale but then again, it is hard to find a resale you will be happy with.

Gatorbyter

I think you nailed the reason, Gaterbyter!! We bought a lot for future building in (4) years or so and haven't even considered a 're-sell.......

Old 02-12-2014, 06:50 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorbyter View Post

Gatorbyter
I'm really puzzled by this. I don't consider a house that is 9 -10 years old to be "Old". Is it that the quality of the houses built in the area is on the low scale so they simply don't hold up like in other parts of the country? The homes in my neighborhood are from the 60s and sell like hotcakes. We have harsh weather here.

I'm trying to understand if this is due to:

1) hurricane activity - do they get beat up that badly
2) low quality
3) due to a regional difference in opinion based on where many of the people that are now moving into the area are from

I plan to move to the Southport area and would prefer a resale. I have built one house and would rather not go down that road again plus I like that most resales have had improvements made overtime - as another poster has described.

I noticed that many of the resales have been on the market a long time - they either get snapped up right away or they sit. I get that buying in a flood plain is a bad idea. Would the pex, enforced garage doors etc... make that big a difference? I am totally in need of some education I guess. I will be coming down in March to check out the area.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:56 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I'm really puzzled by this. I don't consider a house that is 9 -10 years old to be "Old". Is it that the quality of the houses built in the area is on the low scale so they simply don't hold up like in other parts of the country? The homes in my neighborhood are from the 60s and sell like hotcakes. We have harsh weather here.

I'm trying to understand if this is due to:

1) hurricane activity - do they get beat up that badly
2) low quality
3) due to a regional difference in opinion based on where many of the people that are now moving into the area are from
My opinion only, is that it is a regional difference, plus the high expectations of what people want in a retirement home. In many cases a retirement home is that last place people expect to buy, and they want their long-deferred dreams.

Regarding regional differences, much of the housing in the south is newer than housing in (for example upstate New York or Connecticut). People are conditioned to want the new and trendy. For example, as I looked at the 8-year old real estate listings in St. James, I found myself turning up my nose at white Thermofoil kitchen cabinets and laminate countertops. I know they can be replaced, but buyers do not want to bother to renovating when the new houses are available with the latest granite and stainless steel.

To answer your other questions, "No", the houses are probably not languishing because of hurricane damage or low quality. It is more likely the newness factor, plus a poor location.

BTW, if the 1960's homes in your state are selling like hotcakes, the buyers probably don't have affordable new alternatives. (BTW, I used to live in NW Conecticut where most of the affordable homes are older ones.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina