Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 04:31 PM

78 posts, read 199,674 times

Advertisements

Lake01
To expand on the info from goldenage. There are several clubs for singles
/ widowers that neighbors tell me are very popular. As far as buying,there may have not been a better time than now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 06:47 PM

38 posts, read 84,067 times
Although it may seem that SJP is primarily a "golf community" based upon the number of golf courses in the plantation. It is my understanding that the greater percentage of residents are not golfers, but use the cjubhouse facilities for lunch, dinner and group events. In addition, as you may have read in previous posts, a golf club membership is not a prerequisite to join a specific social group (fishing club, chess club, biking club, etc.) There appear to be a multitude of "special interest" groups that residents can get involved with, adding to the vitality of the community.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:59 PM

805 posts, read 2,003,583 times
LakeEffect you are on the right track. An earlier post about the social life seeming to revolve around golf is completely eroneous. You are right that the majority of residents do not play golf at all, many other on a very limited basis.... indeed and in fact the "social life" here has very little to do with golf. While the commandant and I do own golf clubs, we have not played golf as of yet nor have we attended any of the very few and far between "specifically golf" functions / affairs. Yet we have a very active social calendar as many of our friends, the clubs and the plantation sponsored functions once again have nothing to do with golf. That is actually one of the aspects of St James that sets it apart from some of the other "golfing" plantations.... it does have lovely, world class golfing facilities and clubhouses but one need not play golf at all to enjoy most of what St James has to offer.... it is actually a very diversified community in itself, above and beyond golf. In addition, as mentioned, one does not have to join any membership at all to participate in the majority of social activities available here.... it is a personal choice to belong or not belong to a membership..... some choose not to.

As far as a widow / widower might fit in, IMHO it is the same here as any other town or community anywhere. We have met and seen many "singles" of the aforementioned nature at the restaurants and social functions. As far as I can see they are not treated any differently than anywhere else. As anywhere else and really more so down here, as people age in what are basically "retirement" communities, naturally as a spouse passes the other must continue, ergo the groups / clubs for the survivor mentioned by Texas Tim become more utilized. As far as findng a residence for under $280K goes, that really is mostly limited to condos and some very lovely new townhomes, attached and unattached, in the new Seaside section which are actually selling like hotcakes right now, every time we drive by there is another new one being built for someone.

On another note, we took a ride down to Sunset Beach this afternoon, we were gone for about 2 hours and we completely missed the "snowstorm" that descended upon St James and Southport for about an hour.... the people at Tommy's said they couldn't see across the marina because the snow was coming down so hard..... now, of course there was ZERO evidence of the snow when we got back, nothing stuck on the ground or anywhere else mostly due to the light rain that followed right after..... so we really only have their word that it actually did snow.... but they are nice people and we tend to believe them.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:10 PM

17 posts, read 40,274 times
Stoney.....must have passed you on HWY 17 when we came up from OIB, met with several builders including some of your recommendations. It was snowing

PonyPride.....visited your construction on Moss Hammock, you are way ahead of me but I am a fast follower!

Lake01.....we lived in MO from 2000-2011, I promise you will love SJP and NC!!!

Old 02-17-2013, 06:55 AM

Well IslBBack, I'm certainly glad we narrowly missed the ST James blizzard of '13 ..... we got rid of our snow shovels, boots, coats, mittens and Snapper 7/24 snow blower before we came down here.... if we had come home an hour earlier we would have been SOL !

Old 02-17-2013, 07:51 AM

38 posts, read 84,067 times
Looking forward to the days of THAT kind of "blizzard"! BTW Stoney, a few posts back you mentioned something about checking into a geothermal heating/cooling system. What are your thoughts? Seems like a similar situation to hurricane windows, upfront costs a little high but relatively short payback.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:47 AM

Have spoken with two companies down here and to be frank it looks like a very good thing down here in this climate, spoke to one of their customers that has had the system for a few years and he says that everything the company says is true regarding cost / tax credits and comfort both short and long term.... very seriously considering it.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:19 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake01 View Post
My price range for a home is somewhere under $280,000. I would also appreciate suggestions or questions that I should not fail to ask during my visit.
I have seen several small resale houses in the Georgetown section of St James with prices in the low $200s. Is there anything negative about that area?

Old 02-17-2013, 11:29 AM

383 posts, read 891,465 times
Default Georgetown Area

I believe the Georgetown area is near Sanderling part of Members club. The lots there are smaller, but some of them have awesome views. That area is non flood plain and is generally very nice.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:11 PM

78 posts, read 199,674 times
Default georgetown

Not sure what is available now,but last year when I compared some resales in georgetown vs new in seaside, I felt we were ahead of the game with a new house.Not sure what the prices are today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina