Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2016, 12:03 AM

52 posts, read 92,111 times

Advertisements

thanks for the info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 05:16 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,059,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Since I spend about 12 hours a week at the MAC ... I'm excited about this.
Would the Signature Wellness Club include an indoor pool?

If not, how crowded is the indoor pool? Are you able to get a lane to yourself? Do they have lanes specifically for slow swimmers?

It was my understanding that one needed a social membership to one of the clubs in order to use the indoor poll-- is that correct?

Thanks, I enjoy hearing from someone living in SJP.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:19 AM

Quote:
The town takes care of government issues, permits for new roads, controls long term development in SJP and the town that is growing along 211 as well as maintaining environmental issues and taxes help fund EMS and Fire.
Do you think there would a chance that SJP would annex Arbor Creek which is embedded within SJP and even has views of its golf course. (There are a couple of lovely resale homes in Arbor Creek.)

Old 09-05-2016, 09:54 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,372,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Would the Signature Wellness Club include an indoor pool?

If not, how crowded is the indoor pool? Are you able to get a lane to yourself? Do they have lanes specifically for slow swimmers?

It was my understanding that one needed a social membership to one of the clubs in order to use the indoor poll-- is that correct?

Thanks, I enjoy hearing from someone living in SJP.
No ... the new Signature Wellness Center is part of the Seaside Complex which has the largest and most child friendly pool in addition to a snack bar and adult beverage bar as well as performance stage and sand play area. There is no indoor pool there.

The indoor pool at the Members Athletic Club or MAC is year round. As you might expect, it get a bit more use in the winter. Between 6 and 9 AM, lap swimmers have preference. There is room for about 5-6 laps. Occasionally you may have to share. Between 9 and 11 water aerobics takes over. Between 11 and 4 PM (I think) guests can use the pool. Occasionally you see children in the pool then. After about 6 or 7 until 9 the whole MAC center is almost deserted.

Yes -- a social membership is needed for regular access. Guests can use the facility but I thin it is limited to just a few times a month.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Do you think there would a chance that SJP would annex Arbor Creek which is embedded within SJP and even has views of its golf course. (There are a couple of lovely resale homes in Arbor Creek.)
Anything is possible but I really do not think so.

Homer Wright and John Atkinson were pardners in the development of SJP in the 1980's. It is my understanding that the land that is Arbor Creek was part of the original tract that included SJP.

Apparently John Atkinson wanted to develop Arbor Creek as a somewhat less expensive alternative to SJP with fewer amenities.

The tract that is now Arbor Creek was separated from SJP and Articles of Incorporation were approved in 1995.

For at least five years Beaver Dam Properties, developed Arbor Creek and shared office space in the SJP welcome center.

In 1999, the Town of St James was incorporated. Arbor Creek was not included in the Town and continues to be out side town property lines as well as out side SJP and remains part of Southport.

About 2004 another developer became involved, a Camren L. Smith, and managed the Arbor Creek Development through about 2007.

By 2008 Arbor Creek apparently had at least three major builders/developers involved including Tideline Development, Bill Clark Homes, and Venture Homes, LLC. There was some dispute/disagreement between these developers and the Arbor Creek Community Association. The dispute was settled with agreements and cash payments between the various parties.

Bill Clark, Edward Clark and Cheryl Blanton appear to maintain some development rights over some phase/phases of Arbor Creek.

Bottom line is both Arbor Creek and SJP have never been on the same page, so to speak, and both have developed independently and have strong Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions that have been developed and maintained over several years by their own developers and home owners associations.

I am less sure about the politics but I have heard 'scuttlebutt' that in general, both Southport and Oak Island were not particularity happy when SJP incorporated as its own town. The residents of SJP apparently 'saw the writing on the wall' that they would be annexed if they did not incorporate. I have a feeling that Arbor Creek was left out of that as a concession to Southport just as parts of Middleton road and the intersection of Middleton and 211 (now developing into a shopping center) were left out of the Town of St James as a concession to Oak Island.

I do not see any significant changes in political boundaries in the near future. I could be wrong. Political winds, big money associated with infrastructure (electric, gas, water, sewer, roads etc) have driven changes in the past and may do so in SJP/Arbor Creek sometime in the future. If it should, I could see Arbor Creek becoming part of the Town of St James but most likely never part of the gated community.

I should add that SJP and Arbor Creek do co-exist together nicely. SJP Fire and EMS responds to Arbor Creek and residents of Arbor Creek have joined and participated in the SJP Fire and EMS organization. There may be other ties and common goals I am not aware of.

Last edited by ditchoc; 09-10-2016 at 03:10 PM..

Old 09-11-2016, 10:19 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,387,275 times
Quote:
In 1999, the Town of St James was incorporated. Arbor Creek was not included in the Town and continues to be out side town property lines as well as out side SJP and remains part of Southport.
Arbor Creek is not, and never has been, "part of Southport". Arbor Creek is located in unincorporated Brunswick County, well outside the city limits of Southport.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks to all who answered about Arbor Creek. I was really asking whether one could live in Arbor Creek and join one of the SJP country clubs as a social member.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Arbor Creek is not, and never has been, "part of Southport". Arbor Creek is located in unincorporated Brunswick County, well outside the city limits of Southport.
Makes sense .... shoulda known better.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:38 AM

300 posts, read 476,511 times
Quote:
Thanks to all who answered about Arbor Creek. I was really asking whether one could live in Arbor Creek and join one of the SJP country clubs as a social member.

An option for you might be Brunswick Community College. It is a short trip via Midway Road to Bus 17 or you can drive down 211 to Supply and double back on 17. They have a health club with an indoor pool. I believe they participate with Silver Sneakers, or it is very inexpensive to be a member.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:10 AM

3,282 posts, read 1,420,789 times
So pretty big news for us today. We closed on our lot at St. James, and are in the midst of working with a builder to finalize the plans on our home. We hope to have all of the significant decision making completed shortly, so that the final plans will be drawn up by early October, and construction can start soon thereafter. This board, and this thread in particular, has been very helpful to us in making our decision to build at St. James. Special thanks to one poster, whom I shall allow to remain anonymous, for all of his help in answering our questions off-line, and even doing a couple of personal favors for us to help assuage our concerns. All of the help we have received really says something about the character of the people who post here.

Anyway, we will continue to share our progress, and as we get closer to M-day ("Moving Day"), I am sure we will have more questions that we will want to ask. Look forward to meeting everyone.

Again, thanks very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina