Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2016, 03:08 AM

8,396 posts, read 4,389,109 times

Advertisements

I think the right turn only leaving SJP is for safety. There is no light, traffic is doing 55-60+ in both directions. The right turn only makes drivers navigate 2 lanes at a time rather than all 4 at once when entering Middleton, if they intend to go to Oak Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 04:43 AM

805 posts, read 2,007,080 times
As previously mentioned ..... apparently the NJ DOT isn't the only group of engineers that drink while designing roadways.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:48 AM

3,355 posts, read 1,455,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I think the right turn only leaving SJP is for safety. There is no light, traffic is doing 55-60+ in both directions. The right turn only makes drivers navigate 2 lanes at a time rather than all 4 at once when entering Middleton, if they intend to go to Oak Island.
I can see that, though I am not immediately convinced that requiring people to make a U turn onto a road where traffic is moving at higher speeds would be any safer, but it well could be. I guess there is a signal/light at the Seaside entrance to control traffic and allow folks to more safely make left turns?

On an unrelated note, hope everything is ok with your family, and you had a safe trip.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:33 AM

140 posts, read 318,434 times
I just read in the Star that Southport Alderman's are blocking that final upgrade to the Rte211/Long Beach Road overpass. The overpass would eliminate navigating through 3 sets of traffic lights going from Long Beach Rd and 211 and vice versa.

That was at the heart of the NCDOT plan to decrease the long delays at that intersection.

Apparently Soutport has 88 acres which they had planned to use for future development and some of that acreage intrudes into the property needed to make that overpass work.

Go figure....hard to understand, this project benefits Southport as well as Oak Island and St. James.

Ron W.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:04 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,402,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
I just read in the Star that Southport Alderman's are blocking that final upgrade to the Rte211/Long Beach Road overpass. The overpass would eliminate navigating through 3 sets of traffic lights going from Long Beach Rd and 211 and vice versa.

That was at the heart of the NCDOT plan to decrease the long delays at that intersection.

Apparently Soutport has 88 acres which they had planned to use for future development and some of that acreage intrudes into the property needed to make that overpass work.

Go figure....hard to understand, this project benefits Southport as well as Oak Island and St. James.

Ron W.
Southport isn't "blocking" anything, they don't have the power to block NCDOT from doing anything DOT wants to do. They are simply going on record as opposing the unneeded interchange and asking DOT to look at alternatives. As the interchange is currently planned, it would eliminate a proposed shopping center at the northwest corner of Hwy. 211 and new Long Beach Road, which has been voluntarily annexed into the city of Southport. It will be an important source of property and sales tax revenue for the city.

The proposed intersection was NOT at the heart of the plans to improve traffic flow in that area. It miraculously appeared while the new Long Beach Road was still under construction, before anyone had a chance to see how the new road, and other improvements, would help the traffic issues in that area. And by the way, traffic flow in that area has been great since the new road opened. There were zero issues this summer.

The proposed interchange would not eliminate going through 3 traffic lights. It would create an overpass for Long Beach Road over Hwy. 211, eliminating the need for that traffic to sit in the current traffic light at the 211 intersection. Any traffic entering or exiting Long Beach Road at 211 would still be signalized.

The interchange appears to a political gift to someone (SJP?) from Sen. Rabon, and is not something DOT even wanted or asked for. Its not needed.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:35 AM

BC1960,

That's good news about Southport not being able to block the overpass.

I'm not sure if I agree with your statement "And by the way, traffic flow in that area has been great since the new road opened. There were zero issues this summer"

Your definition of "great" is probably different from mine......

Ron W

Old 11-21-2016, 06:41 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,402,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
BC1960,

That's good news about Southport not being able to block the overpass.

I'm not sure if I agree with your statement "And by the way, traffic flow in that area has been great since the new road opened. There were zero issues this summer"

Your definition of "great" is probably different from mine......

Ron W

Well then whats your definition of great? I go through that area multiple times almost every day. No backups like there used to be before the recent improvements were completed. I haven't had to sit through multiple light cycles since the new improvements were completed. Its so much better now, and from my perspective, pretty much incident free. Rather than snarkily attack me, tell us your specific issues that you seemingly have experienced.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:55 AM

BC1960 ... just as an FYI .... like many, I was skeptical of the new intersection plan while it was under construction and before it was finished... however, I too drive though there a few times per day from all of the different directions and I must agree that it is immensely better than it was, in fact there are, surprisingly, as you say, no back-ups or snarl-ups as there were before. It is a topic of conversation wherever we go and mostly the same sentiment is expressed..... I personally would say that the construction of a many million dollar expansion / overpass project is now questionable.

Last edited by Stonecreek67; 11-21-2016 at 07:18 AM..

Old 11-21-2016, 08:43 AM

BC1960,

"Snarkily Attack"? a little touchy this morning are we?

Now for some examples of the remaining traffic issues,

Try leaving Southport at 5PM on a weekday.

Try leaving the movie theater to go south onto Long Beach Rd.

And occasionally there is still a 1/4 mile back up of cars making a left onto Long Beach Road from 211.

Now, if all you do is drive straight through that intersection on 211, I have to agree that extra right lane makes it much easier than before.

Ron W

Old 11-21-2016, 08:52 AM

Yep ..... and one time last year it rained and I got wet walking to my car .....

one can ***** about every insignificant little thing that happens occasionally...

or one can be happy that they fixed the intersections for 99% of the traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina