Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2016, 06:22 AM

192 posts, read 257,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design52 View Post
To change the topic slightly, is this a gated community?

My wife and I are in town (Oak Island rental) scoping out Southport and the area for retirement in a few years. Would like to see St. James just to know what it's all about, although my wife and I are not golfers, so I doubt it would be a fit for us. Just like to know the options.

Can you just drive around, or do you need access somehow? Saw the place driving by at 9:00 last night; too tired to stop and look. Really don't want to sit through a presentation just for a quick drive-by.
Connect with a real estate agent in the area. They can do a drive-through with you while avoiding the presentation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 07:08 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,069,328 times
Quote:
To change the topic slightly, is this a gated community?.... Really don't want to sit through a presentation just for a quick drive-by.
Absolutely, it is gated. You do need a Realtor to drive you around. It is the most expensive community in Brunswick County. In my option, if you are not interested in a country club lifestyle, then there are better options.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:43 AM

8,387 posts, read 4,374,196 times
Quote:
To change the topic slightly, is this a gated community?

My wife and I are in town (Oak Island rental) scoping out Southport and the area for retirement in a few years. Would like to see St. James just to know what it's all about, although my wife and I are not golfers, so I doubt it would be a fit for us. Just like to know the options.

Can you just drive around, or do you need access somehow? Saw the place driving by at 9:00 last night; too tired to stop and look. Really don't want to sit through a presentation just for a quick drive-by.
Just drive thru, no.

SJP is HUGE for the first time visitor. It takes some time to learn your way around and if you do not know what is in SJP, you could drive around for hours and not see all the high lights.

I would suggest you stop by the sales center. They will probably have time to assign someone to you, they will talk to you a bit to get to know you and what your price range is. They will drive you around to show you a few properties in your price range, show you a club a two, probably the fitness center, Woodlands park, Waterway park, and the marina. The whole thing will probably take a couple of hours that you would probably drive around lost half the time on your own and not see as much.

If you feel you want to look more on your own, if you ask, the agent will most likely give you temporary pass so you can go back, drive around at your leisure and perhaps have lunch or dinner at Tommy Thompson's on the marina water front.

This is pretty much a picture of our first trip into SJP and we found it a nice experience. We later used the sales contact to buy property, build and move into St James.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:08 PM

14 posts, read 18,821 times
Thanks everyone for the response. Will get with a realtor.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:38 AM

183 posts, read 287,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Last official word I heard the new gate should be complete by the end of the year and upgrading polly gully bridge has been bumped to 2017.
Any update on the opening date of the new gate?

Old 11-17-2016, 06:24 AM

805 posts, read 2,005,735 times
The last "perhaps" + - 1,000 ft of roadway out to Midway has been cleared and is being readied for paving, they have promised to have it paved and open before Christmas, it appears that they are ahead of that schedule, looks like it could actually be done in a couple of weeks..... there are no obstacles now, it is really just paving a long, thin parking lot, "should" be routine now.

Last edited by Stonecreek67; 11-17-2016 at 07:51 AM..

Old 11-17-2016, 08:36 AM

3,288 posts, read 1,421,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
The last "perhaps" + - 1,000 ft of roadway out to Midway has been cleared and is being readied for paving, they have promised to have it paved and open before Christmas, it appears that they are ahead of that schedule, looks like it could actually be done in a couple of weeks..... there are no obstacles now, it is really just paving a long, thin parking lot, "should" be routine now.
I am assuming that there are plans to create a turn lane, so that one can turn left (out of St. James) towards Oak Island, and one can turn left from the main road into St. James. The new gate would obviously be far less useful without adding the aforementioned turning lane, so I am assuming that is also part of the plan (I hope?)

Old 11-17-2016, 08:49 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,388,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
I am assuming that there are plans to create a turn lane, so that one can turn left (out of St. James) towards Oak Island, and one can turn left from the main road into St. James. The new gate would obviously be far less useful without adding the aforementioned turning lane, so I am assuming that is also part of the plan (I hope?)
When leaving SJP I think one will have to turn right and then make a U-turn at a newly created turn around they appear to be building a short distance to the north. I don't think a left turn from southbound Middleton into SJP will be possible, but I may be wrong. There's currently no evidence of that in the construction so far.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:47 AM

805 posts, read 2,005,735 times
Well, you know what they say about "assuming" something.....

BC1960 is correct, upon exiting onto Midway you will turn right and go up "a ways" and they have "some type" of U-turnish arrangement planned to go back over the new bridge..... as far as turning left into the new entrance from Midway..... BC1960 is right again .... nothing is planned that would let that happen !

Old 11-17-2016, 11:04 AM

3,288 posts, read 1,421,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Well, you know what they say about "assuming" something.....

BC1960 is correct, upon exiting onto Midway you will turn right and go up "a ways" and they have "some type" of U-turnish arrangement planned to go back over the new bridge..... as far as turning left into the new entrance from Midway..... BC1960 is right again .... nothing is planned that would let that happen !
Honestly kind of surprised, but glad I asked. So two questions---

(1) Do you know about how far north you have to drive from the exit to get to the turn lane to head back south toward Oak Island?

(2) If heading south on Midway toward the new entrance, how far past would you have to drive to turn around to get back to the entrance so you can enter making a right hand turn? Would you have to go over the bridge?

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina