Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2018, 08:23 AM

222 posts, read 218,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Sassakitty, we live in a Del Webb in Brier Creek so I understand your dislike of Riverlights. I also lived in Cary for several years prior to moving to Carolina Arbors. One of the things I dislike about my current community is the large size, almost 1300 homes and very cliquish (reminds me of middle school).

When we decided to retire to Southport, we initially thought we would land in SJP. It was definitely not my cup of tea, extremely large and folks were not all that friendly when we visited. I disliked it (almost viscerally as you described in a previous post). I also dislike gated communities, not knowing if they are trying to keep me in, or my friends out. Hope it works for you.
Hi! Ironically, I know people fleeing Del Webb at the Preserve here in Cary for the very reasons you say: it is like high school.

We did not expect to like SJP. I wasn't looking for a gated community. And we are not looking for a 55+ community. While we are close to that age (I am younger, my husband a few years older), we are looking more for a community with mostly 55+ without it being age restricted. In Cary, I literally swim in kids. When I move, I prefer not to, but I also don't want to be around only people my age and older.

So far, 3 people have reached out to me via this board to give advice. They live in SJP. That is super friendly to me! When we visited, I didn't find it to be friendly or unfriendly. Women everywhere can be catty, and I for sure felt that vibe a couple of times, way more than what I have experienced in the Triangle. I also got the the whole rather blunt, NYC attitude a couple of times, but that doesn't bug me at all. I have found after 24+ years in NC that while southerners are polite and friendly on the surface (as opposed to those who come from Yankeeville like myself), the people I end up getting to know deeply are not southerners. I don't think SJP is any different really than any of the other plantations in coastal NC in terms of attitude from the residents. It might have a worse reputation, but I didn't find it to be any different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limnto View Post
We're late 50s, early retirees, from northeast. See you in the fall hopefully!
Birds of a feather! Good luck and see you someday, I hope!

Old 07-04-2018, 12:17 PM

77 posts, read 142,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorbyter View Post
Coastline Insurance [(910) 454-0707] had the best rates when I recently checking (wind & hail bundled) with several different insurers. Mine is with the Heritage Property & Casualty Insurance Company.

P.S. I've changed providers 3 times in 5 years due to pricing changes.

Gatorbyter
Thank you

Old 07-04-2018, 12:22 PM

77 posts, read 142,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Carr Insuance in Southport is excellent.

Thank you

Old 07-04-2018, 02:21 PM

8 posts, read 15,801 times
Definitely sassakitty! We honestly fouND the people we spoke with lovely. My husband also wants to ride the bike without getting driven off the road, we hope to play some tennis, get to the gym more consistently, and enjoy the area. Looking forward to Phase II, our phase! Thank you for a wonderful review.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:37 PM

Let's keep in touch! Good luck on your hunt. We are just starting ours.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:47 PM

Does anyone know..if you live in the Hammocks/SeaSide, with its "low maintenance" living and the POA is ~$2700 - what does that $2700 include?

Old 07-05-2018, 04:07 PM

91 posts, read 179,358 times
Sassa, I would simply call the SJP real estate office directly and get that info from the horse's mouth. Each of the "sub communities" has its own rules and rates.

Good luck!

Steve

Old 07-05-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassakitty View Post
Does anyone know..if you live in the Hammocks/SeaSide, with its "low maintenance" living and the POA is ~$2700 - what does that $2700 include?
In case in the future someone has the same question, the answer is:

The Hammocks is not part of the Seaside community for included lawn care. Therefore, the only POA fee for The Hammocks is the $850 annual St. James fee. The Hammocks is being built by Kent. I called and Kent's rep said, "People seem really confused by this." Um, yup. The website says The Hammocks is "low maintenance living." According to the Kent rep, that pertains to the Hardiplank siding not lawn care (I wanted to guffaw at that one). The promo materials also say The Hammocks is in Seaside; her answer to that was, "Well, it is in Seaside in terms of location." Eye roll. Ask LOTS of questions. Don't stop until you are satisfied with the answers. I feel like there is a sales-y prevarication, all done with a smile; caveat emptor.

Seaside has a couple of POA fees; The Sandy Cove area of Seaside has quarterly dues of $456; while Seaside has quarterly dies of $506. It depends on your street address what section you are in, which dues you pay. In addition, the SJP POA is $850 annual (as of this writing, 2018). The person I corresponded with at CAS, Inc, the property manager for Seaside was nice via email, but it was like pulling teeth from chicken to get a full answer. The additonal HOA fee includes: landscape maintenance and irrigation; mowing, blowing, feeding, weed control, mulching/pine straw. Plant replacement is at the cost of the owner. Turf treatment. aeration etc is an additional cost that the HOA would pay for as needed.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:24 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassakitty View Post
In case in the future someone has the same question, the answer is:

The Hammocks is not part of the Seaside community for included lawn care. Therefore, the only POA fee for The Hammocks is the $850 annual St. James fee. The Hammocks is being built by Kent. I called and Kent's rep said, "People seem really confused by this." Um, yup. The website says The Hammocks is "low maintenance living." According to the Kent rep, that pertains to the Hardiplank siding not lawn care (I wanted to guffaw at that one). The promo materials also say The Hammocks is in Seaside; her answer to that was, "Well, it is in Seaside in terms of location." Eye roll. Ask LOTS of questions. Don't stop until you are satisfied with the answers. I feel like there is a sales-y prevarication, all done with a smile; caveat emptor.

Seaside has a couple of POA fees; The Sandy Cove area of Seaside has quarterly dues of $456; while Seaside has quarterly dies of $506. It depends on your street address what section you are in, which dues you pay. In addition, the SJP POA is $850 annual (as of this writing, 2018). The person I corresponded with at CAS, Inc, the property manager for Seaside was nice via email, but it was like pulling teeth from chicken to get a full answer. The additonal HOA fee includes: landscape maintenance and irrigation; mowing, blowing, feeding, weed control, mulching/pine straw. Plant replacement is at the cost of the owner. Turf treatment. aeration etc is an additional cost that the HOA would pay for as needed.
Just as an fyi, this thread is 344 pages long, with over 3,400 posts. The chances of anyone finding your thread with that information is pretty slim. My suggestion would be to start a new thread titled something like "Information on St. James Plantation POA Fees" so that people can search for it in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina