Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2018, 10:27 PM

91 posts, read 179,358 times

Advertisements

Tarheel, we met with their rep and he was an extremely nice young man.

They are portfolio builders, and will not deviate much from their plans. Having said that, they do have some really nice floorplans in their repertoire such as the Griffon and another one whose name escapes me. However, they really don't do change orders. Small example, my wife mentioned shiplap, and was simply told "we don't do shiplap".

We passed on them, but if you like what they build you get a heck of a lot of house for your money.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 05:13 PM

Tarheel, how did you visit to SJP go? Impressions of the various builders?

Steve

Old 06-26-2018, 07:09 AM

222 posts, read 218,551 times
We are touring SJP this weekend, along with Riverlights in Wilmington. We live in the Triangle and we are very unsure if we want to move away from the area. Every time we go to the coast to look, we decide no. Maybe this time, since we are touring 2 places new to us, we will decide differently.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:46 PM

Tarheel and Sassa, let us know how your tours/visits went to SJP. Impressions of builders and the community greatly appreciated.

Steve

Old 07-03-2018, 06:11 AM

77 posts, read 142,621 times
After our 4th trip to St James over the past few years we pulled the trigger on a new home. Our first grandchild was born 8 months ago so we will have two homes for the next 2-3 years. My bride can not fathom leaving full time at this point.

We are building with Tribute Homes. As some have mentioned they are reluctant to make structural changes but if you like what they offer the price point is attractive. We are more than happy with our option although the upgrades can move the needle quite a bit. Our challenge will be to keep the upgrades reasonable and at first glance that may be a challenge for my bride. 😎

The plan is to join the St James lifestyle in Q1 2019. Reading this site over the past few years greatly assisted in our search. Thanks to all.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:58 PM

We disliked Riverlights, viscerally. So, we wrote that off immediately.

We liked St. James very much. We looked at lots, and a couple of models and spec houses by Tribute, Logan, and Kent.

We decided we like it so much we want to make the move happen. But we have a lot of due diligence to complete in order to be comfortable. My advice: be picky on the location of the lot, ask LOTS of questions. You'll find out some very interesting information. I know the positives, but I also want to know the negatives so I am not surprised by sewer treatment plants, traffic, etc...

Don't rely on the salesperson to show you lots that are not developer owned. Press and ask to see all lots in your price range.

Use the FEMA website to look up specific addresses to see if they are in a flood zone. We are not considering any lots or houses in any flood zone but that is our personal decision.
https://msc.fema.gov/portal/search

It is a beautiful community. Heavily treed, with many water features. A diverse style of housing, mixed in with lots that are not yet built on. Average age is...retired but not elderly. Except for one club we went in where the average age of the folks in the bar seemed substantially older and elderly. People seem nice but distant, not effusively friendly like you find in some areas of NC. Then again, most people who live in SJP are not from NC.

We really liked the atmosphere of Tommy Thompson's and the outside bar. One of the pools also has a bar and grill which is terrific. We didn't make it out to the beach club but I suspect it is fine. Oak Island is an OK beach, in general. It is nice that there are no high rise buildings. And you do not have to join the clubs to use the beach club and its pool.

Each neighborhood has its own personality. Some are more attractive than others. One neighborhood we wrote off right away because only one builder is building the entire neighborhood. Another builder we wrote off because the house seemed not as well constructed as the others we saw. While there is a POA fee of around $800 annually, some neighborhoods have additional fees based on included maintenance, etc. Make sure you ask. Two of the newer neighborhoods felt very barren to me and less attractive, especially because the bulk of SJP is treed and very pretty.

Builder impressions:

Tribute: the lesser expensive models shown did not have an impressive workmanship in my view. For example, around the windows is drywall, instead of wood. The bannister on the stairs was a white painted plain bannister.
Logan: many floor plans to choose from. Lots of inclusions.
Kent: very similar to Logan, although Kent's elevations were not as attractive to me

I like the idea of being able to ride by bike without getting mowed down. Since the speed limit is only 20 in some places (and 30 mph in others) and security is out there enforcing the speed limits, I would be very safe on a bike.

We would plan to join the clubs. We are not golfers, but would use the fitness centers and indoor pool and outdoor pools. There a handful of lots with membership incentives, as well as builder incentives for the club membership, which with a social membership is worth $20K.

Taxes are about half at SJP than what we pay in the Triangle area. Taxes are lower partially because even though SJP is a town, it doesn't have to fund schools in the town. If you have kids, they will go to county-funded schools.

Overall vibe: wealthy residents who enjoy golfing, tennis, pools and eating. Little to no ethnic diversity, but that is not unusual for these plantations in the Wilmington area. An attractive neighborhood laid out with thought. I bet the POA has teeth; every single mailbox I passed had a flag and blue bow. I wonder what happens if you don't put one on the mailbox lol? Location near Southport is a real plus, since Southport is very attractive, and Bald Head Island is a terrific vacation destination. It is 40 minutes to the airport and to Wilmington, so it is not a central location if you plan to go to Wilmington frequently. There are 2 Lowe's grocery stores nearby, but no Trader Joe's, Fresh Markets etc...for those you have to go to Wilmington if that is important to you.

The Triangle is very convenient for many things. It will be a hard decision to leave after 20+ years.

Let me know if you have questions!

Last edited by Sassakitty; 07-03-2018 at 02:07 PM..

Old 07-03-2018, 02:29 PM

8,378 posts, read 4,359,448 times
Very nice summary Sassakitty .

Old 07-03-2018, 02:33 PM

Thank you. I really did like the place a lot.
Edited to say: this thread was very helpful. Lots of great info here. And one member has been super helpful to me, answering questions. What a great resource.
If anyone has questions about Cary, I can help you lol.

Last edited by Sassakitty; 07-03-2018 at 02:43 PM..

Old 07-03-2018, 04:09 PM

77 posts, read 142,621 times
Any recommendations for independent insurance agents in the Southport area?

Last edited by tarheel79; 07-03-2018 at 04:32 PM..

Old 07-03-2018, 04:47 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassakitty View Post

It is a beautiful community. Heavily treed, with many water features. A diverse style of housing, mixed in with lots that are not yet built on. Average age is...retired but not elderly. Except for one club we went in where the average age of the folks in the bar seemed substantially older and elderly. People seem nice but distant, not effusively friendly like you find in some areas of NC. Then again, most people who live in SJP are not from NC.
Make that virtually no one in SJP is from NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassakitty View Post
Taxes are about half at SJP than what we pay in the Triangle area. Taxes are lower partially because even though SJP is a town, it doesn't have to fund schools in the town. If you have kids, they will go to county-funded schools.
99% of schools systems in NC are supported only via county and state taxes. No town or city taxes go to schools...there are a very few towns and cities that have their own school systems that are supported via a separate school tax (i.e. Chapel Hill). Taxes In Brunswick County are low for a variety of reasons, including the quality of the schools, but the lack of schools in SJP has nothing to do with it. The "Town" of SJP has a low tax rate because it offers few amenities that other towns and cities offer...police, paid fire departments, libraries, utilities, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina