Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2018, 04:53 PM

93 posts, read 207,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel79 View Post
Any recommendations for independent insurance agents in the Southport area?
Coastline Insurance [(910) 454-0707] had the best rates when I recently checking (wind & hail bundled) with several different insurers. Mine is with the Heritage Property & Casualty Insurance Company.

P.S. I've changed providers 3 times in 5 years due to pricing changes.

Gatorbyter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 05:48 PM

222 posts, read 219,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Make that virtually no one in SJP is from NC
99% of schools systems in NC are supported only via county and state taxes. No town or city taxes go to schools...there are a very few towns and cities that have their own school systems that are supported via a separate school tax (i.e. Chapel Hill). Taxes In Brunswick County are low for a variety of reasons, including the quality of the schools, but the lack of schools in SJP has nothing to do with it. The "Town" of SJP has a low tax rate because it offers few amenities that other towns and cities offer...police, paid fire departments, libraries, utilities, etc.
Thanks, I know that. I worked in them
Schools eat up the bulk of tax monies. At least here in Wake County - 60%.

Last edited by Sassakitty; 07-03-2018 at 06:07 PM..

Old 07-03-2018, 06:59 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,385,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel79 View Post
Any recommendations for independent insurance agents in the Southport area?
Carr Insuance in Southport is excellent.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassakitty View Post
Thanks, I know that.
Apparently you didn't, based on your previous post. But you'll fit right in at SJP.

Quote:
Schools eat up the bulk of tax monies. At least here in Wake County - 60%.
Again, true in almost every NC county.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:14 PM

Do you have something substantive to add?

Old 07-03-2018, 10:49 PM

91 posts, read 179,648 times
Sassa, nice write up. You had very similar impressions as my wife and I did.

I would respectfully suggest you take a look at Hagood Homes, as they are in the same price range as others you were discussing. They build a very nice home, and I personally like their elevations better than Kent. Similar pricing.

Good luck on your final decision.

Tarheel, glad you liked SJP and will be joining the party. We are looking at June or July 2019 to come on down.

Good luck to all, and play nice!

Steve

Old 07-04-2018, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Do you have something substantive to add?
Explaining how property taxes work in Nc IS substantive. Since there are so many out of staters in SJP, its good information to share.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:26 AM

Escaper, thanks for the tip on Hagood, I will check it out. There is a Kent resale in the Seaside area, but it has included maintenance and we don't want that (yet!). The house is very pretty, but the lot is small, I guess given that the maintenance is included.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:51 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,427,763 times
Sassakitty, we live in a Del Webb in Brier Creek so I understand your dislike of Riverlights. I also lived in Cary for several years prior to moving to Carolina Arbors. One of the things I dislike about my current community is the large size, almost 1300 homes and very cliquish (reminds me of middle school).

When we decided to retire to Southport, we initially thought we would land in SJP. It was definitely not my cup of tea, extremely large and folks were not all that friendly when we visited. I disliked it (almost viscerally as you described in a previous post). I also dislike gated communities, not knowing if they are trying to keep me in, or my friends out. Hope it works for you.

Old 07-04-2018, 08:11 AM

8 posts, read 15,827 times
Great info on here. We'd intended to buy either new construction or a resale this summer, but one son back home briefly, not selling house out from under him. We loved SJP, didn't seem unfriendly or wealthy to us. Maybe because prices are MUCH more reasonable than northeast. We're late 50s, early retirees, from northeast. See you in the fall hopefully!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina