Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2022, 02:30 PM

23 posts, read 51,556 times

Advertisements

ok thanks, hope its open when i get there 6/10/22. Any recommendations for things to do in St. James, no golf for me, and Southport, staying a week to get the 'feel of it'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 06:02 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkjewel View Post
No, not yet. there has been one delay after another. I think we are finally getting closer. It will be called Beacon 315 when it does finally open.
The web site says the Tommy Tompsons is the only restaurant open to the public. How did a non-resident enter St. James? Did they have to be invited by a resident?

Old 05-23-2022, 07:46 PM

52 posts, read 78,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The web site says the Tommy Tompsons is the only restaurant open to the public. How did a non-resident enter St. James? Did they have to be invited by a resident?
It is open to boaters coming into the marina but non residents can't show up at a gate and tell security they want to come in and eat at Beacon 315 (Tommy's). A resident can put a friend or relative on their list so security can let them in.

Old 05-23-2022, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyCat View Post
ok thanks, hope its open when i get there 6/10/22. Any recommendations for things to do in St. James, no golf for me, and Southport, staying a week to get the 'feel of it'
I suggest acting as if you lived in St. James: find out where the closest grocery and pharmacy are, and see how crowded they are. Decide which doctor you would visit, and find the emergency room. Drive into downtown Wilmington to see how long it takes, and try some shopping and dining there. If you have the energy, drive to Myrtle Beach and check the attractions your grandchildren might like. Visit the zip line at Swamp Park in Ocean Isle Beach, or take their boat tour.

Visit the beaches on Oak Island. Try some of the good restaurants in Southport (Fishy-Fishy is mentioned often).

If you are staying with friends inside St. James, visit the pool and fitness center to see how crowded they are at the times you would visit. Visit the Marina to admire the sailboats. Visit the private Beach Club at 72nd Street on Oak Island.

Old 05-24-2022, 05:57 AM

919 posts, read 744,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nysteve661 View Post
It is open to boaters coming into the marina but non residents can't show up at a gate and tell security they want to come in and eat at Beacon 315 (Tommy's). A resident can put a friend or relative on their list so security can let them in.
I wish Southport would do the same for SJP residents.

Old 05-24-2022, 06:57 AM

176 posts, read 238,984 times
Quote:
I doubt it will be open by then. I went by there a couple of days ago and progress looks to be stagnant. I think they said they were waiting on some permits (which are taking anywhere from weeks to months in some cases).

So, I am not a golfer either. Within St James you can check out the different clubs and what each of them offer. There are pools (one indoor), fitness centers with lots of classes (aquatic and otherwise), pickle ball, and tennis. There are nice parks to walk or take a picnic lunch- Waterway Park where you can walk out to the Intracoastal, and Woodlands Pavillion. Stroll around the marina. Of course check out the beach pavilion, too. Take your time touring the different neighborhoods- they all have a slightly different feel. Also, some are much closer to gates than others which is important when thinking of driving times. There are lots of clubs within St James and lots of activities at the Community Center, too. There are 2 garden plot areas and dog parks if you want to look at those, too. There really is something for everyone.

As far as Southport goes there are lots of good restaurants. Mr P's, Ports of Call, Olivers, Moore Street Oyster Bar, Edgewater 122 just to name a few. Most of those take reservations which you will need to make ahead of time as restaurants get very crowded here. Fishy Fishy, Frying Pan,and Provisions are all in the Yacht Basin and do not take reservations. American Fish Company has great drinks, music and sunsets- no food.

Stroll around town and get a feel for it. Artisans Gallery On Howe (near the waterfront) is mainly artists from St James. There is a lot of talent in this whole area. Franklin Art Gallery and Art Shak also have mainly, if not all, local art work. If you have ever wanted to learn how to paint, silver smith, fuse glass, stained glass, or learn pottery- check out the Brunswick Community College (Southport campus).

If there is something in particular you're interested in learning about just let me know and I may be able to point you in the right direction.

Old 05-25-2022, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Take a trip to Calabash also, as many people like the "lightly battered" Calabash-style seafood.

If you are not committed to St. James, there are other developments you might like in the southern part of Brunswick County. Examples are: Brunswick Plantation, Sea Trail, Winding River, etc.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:28 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
Quote:
Take a trip to Calabash also, as many people like the "lightly battered" Calabash-style seafood.

If you are not committed to St. James, there are other developments you might like in the southern part of Brunswick County. Examples are: Brunswick Plantation, Sea Trail, Winding River, etc.
When we took a trip down, we did visit St. James.....very nice, very big. We also toured Winding River and Brunswick Plantation, both also very nice. My understanding is that some sections of Brunswick Plantation has had flooding issues during big storms ?.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
..... My understanding is that some sections of Brunswick Plantation has had flooding issues during big storms ?.
Parts did flood. Potential buyers should always check the flood zones. I believe that the seller's agent must also disclose whether the house had been flooded, and any repairs that were made.

I mentioned Brunswick Plantation because there is some new construction there by DR Horton and Lennar. Their prices are relatively reasonable and their available homes are not in flood zones. BP is gated, and it still has attractive amenities like an indoor pool and a clubhouse.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-25-2022 at 08:20 AM..

Old 05-26-2022, 06:14 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
Quote:
Parts did flood. Potential buyers should always check the flood zones. I believe that the seller's agent must also disclose whether the house had been flooded, and any repairs that were made.

I mentioned Brunswick Plantation because there is some new construction there by DR Horton and Lennar. Their prices are relatively reasonable and their available homes are not in flood zones. BP is gated, and it still has attractive amenities like an indoor pool and a clubhouse.
Out of the Plantations we visited, Brunswick Plantation was the one the wife liked. We were looking at the area I believe was called "The Hamptons" ?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina