Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 08:54 AM

1,539 posts, read 2,431,728 times

Advertisements

I think I finally found someone who is not happy with St James Plantation and it is the surviving partner of someone in NYC. That wasn't a "haircut" but a scalping. Did a club membership transfer with the land? What kind of multiple do they throw around on what kind of house they want you to build on the lot? When I built here in PA 23 years ago the land was $50,000 and you needed a minimum of 4X the land value in a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 08:58 AM

805 posts, read 2,007,608 times
No club membership with the lot..... actually, in looking at every lot in St James, I found that situation to be quite rare. There is no such rule / restriction on any lot we looked at.... the only rule in that regard is the houseto be built has a "minimum" square footage requirement.... but the minimum square foot required is so small that it really does not even come into the picture.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:29 PM

Hard to believe a third of an acre of sandy soil near Southport went for a quarter of a million 5 years ago. Those buyers financed all the ammenaties that are now in place for us to enjoy. Thank you for your contribution.

Last edited by caco54; 09-22-2011 at 02:03 PM..

Old 09-23-2011, 11:04 AM

CanalsLB, what was your take on your recent visit to St James?

Old 09-23-2011, 11:39 AM

556 posts, read 623,903 times
it was too short! We arrived on Wednesday afternoon. After lunch in the members club we toured on our own. I still get lost trying to get from the Woodlands to the main gate but we enjoy seeing the scenery. We walked on our lot and were pleased that it was high and dry despite all the rain. The seaside pool was lovely and will to enjoy it with our grandchildren in the future. We then met Stonecreek67 and his bride for dinner and cocktails and thoroughly enjoyed Tommy Thompson's and the company. Thursday was Golf day at The Reserve. As it always seems we had a good nine holes then fell apart but the course was beautiful! Thursday night found us having dinner at The Live Oak. Another lovely experience! After cocktails at the Waterfront Bar it was time for a dip in the condo pool and then bedtime. All in all another relaxing vacation albeit a short one. By the way, did anyone see Revenge the other night? In the scene with the sailboat "Amanda" was that Fishy Fish in the background? You can almost make out the name on the roof!

Old 09-24-2011, 04:02 PM

A lil' update.....

Yes Gene, that WAS www.fishyfishy.com on Revenge, it was closed for filming about six weeks ago with all the film trailers outside blocking the parking lot and when we went there Thursday night the staff confirmed that was why it was closed, they said the film crew painted the entire place another color then re-painted it the way it was when they left. Speaking of going there Thursday night.... we had a very nice time, live entertainment on the dock, sat in the open air structure with a roof on the dock, had the Maritime Mussels, 1/2 lb of You-Peel-It-Shrimp ( quite spicy ) and the Brunswick Catch Clams, the Roasted Lemon Chicken and the special of the day Shrimp over linguine in a spicy lemon cream sauce.... all quite tasty...... it started to rain but that didn't dampen anyone's good time.... actually just sittin' on the dock of the bay wastin' time, watchin' the ships roll in ( for real ) with good food, music and a couple of drinks of course..... ya shoulda been there.

Went into Wilmington yesterday morning, returned some items at JC Penny, went to the Vera Bradley store across the street and then went to a couple of Italian deli's in search of some jars of hot cherry peppers.... bingo, found them at www.ncatasteofitaly.com on South College Road. On the way back we cruised through the downtown waterfront area and parked on 2nd Street. Strolled through what I can only describe as a very quaint / eclectic area with a multitude of old shops,areas of cobblestone type streets, restaurants, eateries, antique shops, etc all along the riverfront blocks with a horsedrawn "trolley" taking people around the area for sightseeing.... "quite" nice. Had lunch at www.riverboatlanding.com restaurant with a direct view of the river from a second floor balcony ( in the picture on their site ), the USS North Carolina Battleship stationed across the river and the boats passing by.... had a delicious lunch of a tuna BLT with bacon and pasta salad and a BBQ pulled "beef" sandwich on a whole wheat keyser roll with curly fries, all pretty good. Walked across the street and watched the boats for a bit, while leaning over the railing at the river front.... I have to say it was very nice and reminded me of a scene from a Norman Rockwell painting of the london waterfront at the turn of the century. The sign said they are having "Octoberfest" at the riverfront with all the streets closed the second weekend in October..... the waitress said it was very nice with tons of people last year.

Almost forgot.... went to the members' mixer last night at the Members' Clubhouse..... very nice buffet, live DJ and dancing ( a lot of dancing ) and some chortling with many new friends, several of us had cigars and Scotch out on the veranda overlooking the 18th hole. I must report that we have yet to encounter any of those "uppety" / "aloof" types that were spoken about by some obviously unhappy souls in the beginning posts of this forum.... we have met nothing but the nicest, down to earth people since we have been here.... however there is still hope for such an encounter in the future, after all we will be here for a while.

Last edited by Stonecreek67; 09-24-2011 at 04:17 PM..

Old 09-27-2011, 06:14 AM

OK.... must report that we had a lovely dinner last night with the Crimsondregs's at www.mrpsbistro.com in Southport down towards the water. Quite a crowd for a Monday night.... we had an excellent dinner..... 1st time there..... a very nice place. I had the blackened salmon with roasted potatoes and lima beans with sausage, wifey had the crabmeat stuffed red snapper with roasted potatoes and fresh garlic string beans, another salmon dish with pineapple salsa, a very nice shrimp cocktail with those local fresh shrimp and a special appetizer of smoked salmon and toast with all the trimmings, capers, red onion, cream cheese, etc, and another appetizer of fried crabmeat stuffed won tons with a sweet dippng sauce, a lovely creme broulee and freshly made on premises key lime pie...... once again it was all quite nice.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:22 PM

19,456 posts, read 27,925,506 times
I know this thread has gone all over the track, but we are considering retiring in this general area. St. James Plantation looks lovely, but as we are not golfers, the monthly fees may not make sense for us.

But my biggest question applies to homeowner's insurance for this area. I'm hoping someone can give me an idea on what a newer home, perhaps 2000 sq ft, purchase price of $300-350K might cost to insure in St. James Plantation, Winding River, or one of the other (many) similar communities. Including flood, hurricane, wind - whatever is necessary (we live in AZ right now, so these kinds of issues are non-existent and total unknowns to us).

And an estimate of property taxes would be really helpful too!!!

Thanks.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:20 PM

78 posts, read 199,941 times
We also are planning to move into SJP this spring.On a 300k house,I was quoted approx $1300 property tax and approx $2200 for homeowners insurance with wind and hurricane. Hope this helps.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:58 PM

383 posts, read 893,254 times
Those numbers are about right. We just purchased land in the Reserve. On a 3,000 square foot house, I was quoted 2,600 for insurance. Once we build, which will be early next year, the taxes should be about $1,800/yr. In the Reserve the only "special" requirements to build are an extra course on the foundation and a minimum square footage of 2,200 for the size of the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina