Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2014, 09:20 AM

93 posts, read 207,810 times

Advertisements

I purchased two properties in SJP (adjacent to each other) in early 2013.

After much deliberation, I recently signed a build contract for my retirement home with Logan Homes. The build will commence sometime in June 2014 and scheduled to be complete by December 2014.

I was born in NC (Washington), raised in northern VA (graduate of VA Tech), but have spent nearly all my professional career in Florida so this is somewhat a homecoming. I still live in Florida so I expect to make frequent visits throughout 2014 to fulfill obligations during the build. I confess to having reservations about building remotely but perhaps it will all work out well.

- Special shout out to PonyPride for his help in answering a myriad of questions. -

Gatorbyter

Last edited by Gatorbyter; 01-04-2014 at 10:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 09:34 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,073,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorbyter View Post
I purchased two properties in SJP (adjacent to each other) in early 2013.

After much deliberation, I recently signed a build contract for my retirement home with Logan Homes. The build will commence sometime in June 2014 and scheduled to be complete by December 2014.
Let me congratulate you! Would you share why you decided on Logan? Your information might help some other people decide.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-04-2014 at 10:17 AM..

Old 01-04-2014, 02:51 PM

93 posts, read 207,810 times
As a disclaimer, my personal interaction with Logan Homes (LH) is still developing but I had two good benchmarks: 1) PonyPride on this forum, and 2) an ex-coworker who is currently building a LH home. I also knocked on a few doors of existing homes that Logan had completed and talked to the homeowner face-to-face. In summary, this would be my assessment (to date) of LH:

Quality - I walked thru a dozen or more of their homes; the attention to detail and workmanship is awesome.

Performance - I have not met or talked to a single current/former Logan Homes customer who has had major issues; I pray to add to that satisfaction record.

People - LH's people are awesome, nuff said (always a phone call or email away).

Contract - LH's contract is clear regarding what will be delivered, when it will be delivered, etc.

Design Center - LH's design center is huge; you can see/touch/feel exactly what you are buying.

Price - LH is not the cheapest but not the most expensive either. On balance, I would say you get what you pay for.

Options - while they are technically NOT a spec home builder, you can customize everything and they were flexible at accomodating my endless questions and desired design changes.

Gatorbyter

Last edited by Gatorbyter; 01-04-2014 at 04:16 PM..

Old 01-04-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorbyter View Post
Quality - I walked thru a dozen or more of their homes; the attention to detail and workmanship is awesome.

Performance - I have not met or talked to a single current/former Logan Homes customer who has had major issues; I pray to add to that satisfaction record.
Thanks much. I would say you did a lot of "on the ground" research.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:01 PM

38 posts, read 91,273 times
Default LOGAN Experience

We also went with LOGAN and agree with most everything that Gatorbyter said. Our LOGAN will be ready for us just over four months after construction began in late October, about a month before the contracted date. Amazing. I was concerned that the speedy construction might affect the quality. For the most part, so far so good. Not a pretty sight before the drywall goes up. They take a lot of short cuts that I am not familiar with from past experience. After close inspection, I concluded that the shorts cuts taken, mainly to reduce cost and construction time, do not have a detrimental effect on overall quality.

Since we live in MD, we are also building remotely, to a point. The following is a timetable of our visits to SJP:

NOTE: All of our visits, to date, have been extended stays of 4 to 7 days, staying in the CLUB VILLAS condos. We used the additional days to review the area, enjoy the amenities and to get a feel for life in SJP and the area.

Feb. 2012 - visited SJP on their promo package plus a couple more days to ride around on our bikes to get a close up feel for SJ. Walked thru KENT models in SEASIDE. Placed a deposit on a lot.

Oct. 2012 - Went down for a week for the BUILDERS' WEEKEND. The first model that we walked into was the LOGAN Bellamy. It was "love" at first sight. We went around to all of the open models, but did not find another house that hit us like the Bellamy.

Dec. 2012 - Returned to pay off on the lot, join the CLUBS and do further research on LOGAN and the Bellamy.

March 2013 - After many email exchanges with LOGAN's Sales Rep, we went down to sign the initial contract, and took advantage of our Office visit to do an initial review of the selections of fixtures, flooring, colors, roofing etc that we will have to choose from. Took extensive notes and photos to help us to narrow down our selections when we return to make our "final" selections. And to spend a few days enjoying "Paradise." All of our visits to date have been extended stays at the Club Villa Condos.

June/July 2013 - Made our "final" selections at LOGAN's Office. We did not care for the standard appliance package (Range, Dishwasher, Microwave and Disposal), so we went by the supplier, Ferguson's, to see what was available. We made our initial choices, including a Refrigerator, Washer & Dryer, which LOGAN does to include in their package. We left with the understanding that we could make changes before we made our purchase, after the first of the year, and that Ferguson's would MATCH the lowest price that we found at that point in time. After receiving the initial "Quote" later in July, we hit the WEB to research what kind of consumer reviews our choices received. We were not impressed, so we continued our research and came up with a revised list of choices that met our "wants" and got good reviews. Sent the list to Ferguson's and received a new quote back.

By the way, we signed and paid for our appliances last week. Before we did, we went on the Web to check the current prices at HOME DEPOT, LOWE's and BEST BUY, and found that most of our choices were priced lower in at least one of the three stores. We passed our findings to Ferguson's and, without asking us to provide verification, they matched the lower prices..

CONSTRUCTION PERIOD Visits:

Oct. 20, 2013 - had our FIRST, onsite visit with the Project Super. We walked the Lot. He explained things. I asked things. After much back and forth, we ended up on the same page. For example, during our previous visits, I measured and marked off the guesstimated property lines. There were no markers to work from, but I knew that the Utility Boxes, flanking our lot, marked the approx. location of the front corners. No markers in the back and, complicating things was the fact that our lot is slightly pie shaped, widening towards the rear. I knew that the rear property lines for our string of nine lots was a straight line along the entire stretch. In walking that line, I was found a marker a few lots down, in both directions. Using my 100 ft tape, I marked the approx. location of the rear corners. When the official survey was done, I was just a foot off. After hearing that, my wife had to replace my hats with a larger size.
Next, I marked off the house footprint where I wanted it to sit, placing one side parallel to the property line, which placed the front of the house on a slight angle to the street. Just before our onsite visit, I received the Lot survey, which placed the house centered on the lot, with the front being perpendicular to the street. I brought this to the attention of the Proj. Super. who tried to discourage me from changing the location. I stuck to my guns, explaining my reasons, and he finally agreed to try to get my positioning thru the POA Review Board. It did. WORD of WARNING: BUT - the first POA Review memo contained a few requested and a few recommended changes. Most were acceptable to me, but one was totally ludicrous. They wanted the house located a further 50 feet (100 ft total) from the street. If this request was carried out, we would end up with a VERY small back yard.

I got out my scale and aerial photos and found that every house along both side of our street were 50 feet from the street. I respectfully requested that they explain the reasoning/justication for singling us out. They came back, rescinding that request. MESSAGE: don't accept the Review Board decisions as being "carved into stone."

Within two days, the lot was clear and the invironmental barrier was installed. Two weeks later the foundation was in and the framing started.

DEC. 6, 2013 - PRE-DRYWALL ORIENTATION

On arriving, we found the house closed in, before siding installation. Also, the plumbing, electrical and heating/cooling systems were installed. Drywall would be next.

Again, we went around with the Proj. Super. He explained and we asked. We paid particular attention to the installed items, changes and customization that we had requested, to make sure they were done and were what we requested. WORD OF WARNING: We found that the Front Door Package was not what we had chosen. Some of the elec/phone/cable TV outlets had not been relocated as requested. First, everything was corrected to our satisfaction. RECOMMENDATION: Have your plans, contract, OPTIONS sheet and CHANGE ORDER sheets with you. It turned out that LOGAN had not passed on some of the later changes that we had made to the Proj. Super. Just last week, we discovered that the Proj. Super was not aware of our appliance UPGRADES. Having the papers with us cut off the Proj. Super's objections.

JAN. 21st, 2013 - PRE PRE-OCCUPY ORIENTATION

This will be another opportunity to walk around the house and property with the Proj. Super., two to three weeks before completion, to make sure everything meets with our satisfaction. I'll let you know how that goes.

COMMENTS about LOGAN:

We could not have asked for nicer people to deal with. But, you have to keep in mind that they are in the business.

Case in point. They wanted $4,500 to install 30 feet of railing on the Front Porch. When I asked if this was a mistake, since were $7,000 for 175 feet of aluminum fencing. No, that was the price. We removed it and will get a local contractor to do it.

Another case in point: LOGAN shows you, in their display center, what you perceive are the available options. No mention was made that there are other choices available, and they do not provide a list of options and prices to work with. KENT Homes does. So, what's the bid deal, you ask. Well, how can you consider choosing something that you are unaware of or think to ask about. Keep in mind, if you make a change or add something after your sign off on the final OPTIONS LIST, you are hit with a $300 fee per Change/Addition.

A couple examples: We learned a lot from neighbors, a few lots down, who had a LOGAN Home built last year. After that signed off on the OPTIONS LIST, the Mrs. thought it would help her if she had roll out trays in the Kitchen Cabinets. She contacted LOGAN and was told - why yes, they are available, but there will be a $300 Change Fee. NOTE: Roll out Trays were not shown or mentioned to be available during the SELECTIONS session at LOGAN's Display Center.

Fortunately for us, the Mrs. told my wife about them before we had signed our OPTIONS Sheet. So we told LOGAN that we might like to add them. What was the cost? $700 per tray, $1400 per cabinet 4 trays; $4,200 three, 2 door, undercounter drawers. Get out of Town!

I don't know if she just thought of it, or knew before hand, but our LOGAN Selections Rep said that she believed that cost of $700 per tray, was irregardless of size.. If the center stile was removed. instead of paying for FOUR trays per cabinet, we would be paying for TWO trays per cabinet, cutting the cost in half. Now we're getting somewhere. And that's what we did.

Final Example: This one cost us. Our home package included a screen porch. We were talking with an across the street neighbor, after we signed our OPTIONS SHEET, and she told us how useless she found her Screen Porch to be because of the heavy Spring PINE POLLEN, which is a problem from March to June. That's the optimum period to enjoy a screen porch. She then mentioned that they has an EZE-BREEZE added. We asked other residents about the pollen problem and they all concurred. Sometime, during that visit (Oct. 13), we walked into a LOGAN model in the Woodlands section, we discovered that it had a LOGAN installed EZE-BREEZE porch. I asked LOGAN why we were not told about the availability of this porch. We didn't ask. They could add it for $4,500 plus the $300 Change Fee. After getting quotes from local contractors, we went with LOGAN and can now enjoy our screen porch all year long.

So, WORD TO THE WISE: Spend time and thought to draw up a WISH LIST before meeting at LOGANS to make your selections, upgrades and additions. If they don't show or mention an item on your list - ASK.

It looks like I got carried away, sharing our experiences. Hope it helps.

Last edited by Active Pair; 01-05-2014 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: Correct store name

Old 01-05-2014, 12:30 PM

38 posts, read 91,273 times
Default Email from STONECREEK

STONECREEK

Did you just send out an EMAIL about home sales by REMAX, with a LINK to click on?

It looks very suspicious. There was no explanation from you, and it is in a format that I haven't seen from you.

I did not want ask using your email address, out of concern that I might pass something on to you that you really don't want.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Pair View Post
She then mentioned that they has an EZE-BREEZE added. We asked other residents about the pollen problem and they all concurred. Sometime, during that visit (Oct. 13), we walked into a LOGAN model in the Woodlands section, we discovered that it had a LOGAN installed EZE-BREEZE porch.
BTW, the EZE-Breeze porch has flexible plastic windows which slide up or down in addition to the screens. We also added a wall-mounted HVAC unit which heats and cools and added two ceiling fans. It makes the porch usable almost all year.

We are not St. James residents, but I just wanted to endorse the EZE-Breeze porch.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:59 PM

169 posts, read 583,449 times
Heads up to all the St. James POA members (and others who are interested), the January 2014 issue of Cat-Tales is posted on the POA website. It was an editorial decision (by my wife the editor) to wait until the print edition has been sent out before posting the PDF version. Enjoy, I have three articles in that issue. If anyone reads them, let me know what you think.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:17 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,423,993 times
Thank you always a good read. By the way Ocean Ridge has now restricted access to their similar publication. Their POA web site is now restricted to members only.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:41 PM

805 posts, read 2,005,905 times
Active Pair..... it's a computer virus, don't open it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina