Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2013, 08:05 AM

9 posts, read 14,947 times

Advertisements

Our folks got email newsletter from St. James. Really appreciate any input from the forum.

Thanks,

Sandy K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 11:56 AM

169 posts, read 583,192 times
What would you like to know. Most of us who live here think of it as paradise.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:54 PM

15 posts, read 26,690 times
Was just wondering how St James Homeowners are affected by the news article today on Flood Insurance???

Pretty scarey..............

Skyrocketing flood insurance rates taking toll on home values | StarNewsOnline.com

Old 10-31-2013, 04:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,867 times
Looking for a recommendation on an appliance repair company for an issue with my ice maker on a side by side whirlpool refrigerator.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:01 AM

383 posts, read 891,937 times
Hi Fed Up.

I heard about the flood insurance situation a few months ago when I got insurance for my home. I did not realize the impact on the rates. The good news is much of SJP is not in flood plain, the bad news is that some of it is and that will impact those homeowners. Given global warming and the associated weather we have experienced, many will have to make a risk evaluation decision on whether they should take this insurance or not. It is certainly not an easy call.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:03 AM

59 posts, read 137,319 times
I know this has probably been discussed before but I'm throwing it out again. We bought a lot in the Ellington section of the Reserve and are planning to build in 4-5 years. In the meantime we've been looking at house plans and came to SJP in May for the home tour. This is our first foray in home building and we would love any input we can get regarding what are important things to talk to builders about, what we need to look for and what to be wary of, etc. We will be back at SJP for about 12 days during Thanksgiving and will be checking out a house during that week. If anyone will be available that week, we would love the opportunity to meet our future neighbors and get insightful input from you.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:34 PM

605 posts, read 1,259,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonDregs View Post
What would you like to know. Most of us who live here think of it as paradise.
All coastal towns up and down East coast will be hit with huge rate increases from the National Flood Ins. program - not just NC - but I wonder - does this include the Wind/Hail insurances or just the National Flood Plan??

Old 11-03-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fed up in nj View Post
Was just wondering how St James Homeowners are affected by the news article today on Flood Insurance???

Pretty scarey..............

Skyrocketing flood insurance rates taking toll on home values | StarNewsOnline.com

Here is the actual FEMA site:
http://www.fema.gov/media-library-da...qa_04_2013.pdf

Old 11-04-2013, 08:05 PM

383 posts, read 891,937 times
Missy,

Wind and Hail insurance, which most get from the Farm Bureau went up July 1st, but the increase I believe was just a few hundred dollars. The reason I remember this is that we signed our policy just before the rates increased.

Pony

Old 11-06-2013, 12:28 PM

thanks, Pony!! We are at 59 feet above sea level in Ocean Ridge Plantation - not on the intercoastal so I think we are pretty safe. Can't wait to leave New Jersey!! "tax me to death" should be on the license plates!! Went to the Brunswick County Parade of Homes several weeks ago. Had a great experience seeing different builders, their styles, how the homeowners liked them, etc. Will go again in the spring!! thanks again and keep those posts acomin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina