Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2011, 08:59 PM

805 posts, read 2,007,750 times

Advertisements

Alright, another tidbit..... several people told us about Shagger Jacks so we ventured forth this evening over to Oak Island to get a bite, the weather was absolutely gorgeous so we put the top down and headed out, door to door the drive took us 13 minutes which was pretty good we thought. The place is great ! Nice bar, old fishing shack kind of ambience, menu with specials on a big blackboard. Ordered the salsa appetizer, roasted chicken wings with a wonderfully tasty, zingy sauce, fried oysters with a creamy tomato aioli, the grilled shrimp "taco" and a fresh tuna "taco" which were actually more like humungous burritos, all freshly made and just fantastic, strawberry cheescake and an in-house made freshly made key lime pie..... everything was just great along with a glass of wine and a huge glass of amber beer from their selection of over 50 beers. Great place, the nicest people working there, a must to stop at if you are down here. Headed out after eating, it was still light out so we tooled around the area a bit looking for those bands of marauding, gun totin' Oak Island locals we heard about earlier..... it was to no avail, could not find them anywhere we drove, so, top down again, we headed back over the bridge to Tommy Thompson's.... a full house there, had a couple of drinks and a cigar at the Tiki bar in the evening breeze with some regulars....... another lovely evening here in Southport !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 10:12 PM

572 posts, read 1,612,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
So, senor Time2Travel..... you're right, that Trulia thing is really keen ! But you must be careful what you wish for, at the bottom of each of those listings, you're site "Trulia" gives Oak Island it's top rating of "Excellent" for safety and community involvement, you obviously overlooked that section.... but why let facts get in the way.

I am also completely flabbergasted to find that you were able to find a newspaper article that reports that even on remote Oak Island there was a young girl that got pregnant out of wedlock, a shocking and I'm sure an isolated development in 2011..... AND.... AND in addition to that, to my utter astonishment, someone got arrested for Marijuanna possession on the very same Oak Island, yes, in 2011 someone got arrested for Marijuanna possession in America..... these two examples you give are amazing and I am sure have never happened anywhere else in North Carolina...... dare I say even in the city that you live.

But, back to your beloved Trulia just for a moment.... it's funny, you obviously "neglected" to go far enough in the listings to show the huge amount of larger, more upscale and expensive homes scattered throughout the same area....

28465 Real Estate & 28465 Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

I'm positive it was just an oversight on your part and not simply your ignorance and myopic, neanderthal-like opinion of someone that might dare to live on or even visit Oak Island.
There are $70k singlewides within walking distance of the St James beach club. Sugar coat it and excuse it all you want. Like I said twice before, somebody claimed Oak Island was comparable to Sunset Beach and I presented evidence to the contrary. There are NO MOBILE HOMES on Sunset Beach. Oak Island has hundreds.

Facts are facts. Hate all you want.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-09-2011 at 10:28 AM..

Old 10-07-2011, 10:41 PM

572 posts, read 1,612,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm not from the area (we are planning to visit soon to consider it for retirement), and I do not ever want to live in a mobile home, but I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that only rednecks live in trailer parks?

My confusion is based on the abundent trailer parks we have here in Arizona. Yes, some are pretty dumpy and typically filled with folks, young and old, who are poor. There are also some trailer parks that are quite nice, primarily set up as 55+ communities.

The properties you cited on Trulia all seem to be less than 3 blocks from the beach. In most areas of the country, that would be prime real estate.
I'm not sure what to tell you other than what you have already seen from the listings on Trulia. Oak Island isn't exactly prime real estate because there isn't a high demand in NC to live in close proximity to mobile homes. $70,000 real estate 3 blocks from the ocean speaks for itself. (yet I get accused of "missing my nap" by the St James koolaid drinkers for pointing it out)

Old 10-08-2011, 02:56 AM

383 posts, read 893,314 times
Final point on the crawlspace issue. If you look at resales in SJP hardly any of the houses have encapsulated crawlspaces. Moisture is indeed a problem. I actually had a deal that fell through do to fungus issues in a crawlspace. Also, encapsulation is very expensive. If you like crawlspaces because the floors give a little bit when you walk thats fine. Also you do have access to the plumbing and house structure, which is a plus, but you also will have more maintenance.

If I was building in the Northeast, I would build with a crawlspace, but my Personal choice, when building in the South is to build on a slab, and cost in my decision is not a consideration. Can't go wrong either way, because SJP is one of the nicest places on the planet. I hope to start my construction in the beginning of next year. I look forward to having Stonecreek67 as my neighbor.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:46 PM

Now..... back to the so called Koolaid consumption.....

We just returned from the St James Property Owners Association annual meeting at the extremely nice, brand new community center just outside the gates. Approx 650 attendees, nice breakfast type refreshments but best of all was the 90 minute long report of the POA's financial condition and future / ongoing projects overview. Happy to report that the POA is in tremendous financial shape, over $2,500,000.00 in reserves with everything fully funded..... zero debt ( all very unusual for a POA we are told ). A graph showed how we fair with the other similarly sized plantations in the area and I am again happy to report that they do not even come up on the screen compared to SJP. Everyone seems to agree that SJP and the POA are are led by an extremely astute and savvy group of individuals and are doing just about everything right.

4,165 units sold right now ( lots, condos, homes ) with 3,300 residents..... new construction is still going "fairly" well ( considering the economy ) with an average of 7+ new homes started each month this year. Very happy with the report..... hope that wasn't too much of the multi flavored, sugary, powdered drink mix.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-09-2011 at 10:24 AM..

Old 10-09-2011, 09:44 AM

78 posts, read 199,951 times
Stonecreek

The POA at SJP looks impressive.Regarding new construction.Have you noticed the progress in Seaside? I believe in july there were 3 built and 2 under construction.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:56 AM

Timmy..... there are another 8 or so homes under construction in Seaside right now.... looks like a very popular area.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:58 AM

78 posts, read 199,951 times
Stonecreek

Thank you for the information.Seaside is one of our top choices.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:21 AM

383 posts, read 893,314 times
The Seaside club is very nice. We purchased a lot down the street in the Reserve. It is also very convenient to the new gate that was built onto Midway road.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:56 PM

43 posts, read 147,543 times
Are you talking about Seaside Village in Sunset Beach? I'm not seeing any listings in that community when I google. I would be very interested too. My hubby and I are considering a home in Sea Trail or Carolina Shores currently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina