Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 07:29 PM

805 posts, read 2,003,583 times

Advertisements

8 inches of snow........ that's way too many inches for me.... they got hammered in NJ too ! I prefer sippin' on a Blue Moon Pale Ale and puffin' on a good medium priced cigar ( Diamondback ) at Tommy's Tiki bar.... sittin' in the sun @ about 65 degrees..... watchin' the boats bobble with a few other St James-ites..... which is what I happened to be doin' this afternoon with the commandant..... that was after returning from a long weekend in Charleston ( an easy 3 hour drive, no traffic to speak of ) with another couple from SJP, where we partook of the fare of some excellent local eateries and drinking establishments ( rooftop of course, overlooking Charleston Bay ) and a horse drawn carriage tour of the area..... just another perk of living down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 01:45 AM

383 posts, read 891,465 times
Ok. I got 14 inches of snow in NJ and just got power back after 3 1/2 days. Glad to be back online. I am to researching builders. If you have any feedback on builders, good or bad, please post. Want to start building in a few months. Need a place to travel too and defrost.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:36 PM

169 posts, read 583,038 times
My wife and I are also looking forward to meeting new St. James residents. She is president of one (of many) social groups here in St. James. Our group is called Encore and we have a lot of fun. anyone coming for a visit, let me know. We are easy to spot, my NC license plate is "ST JAMES". We are on the fourth fairway of Players Club and love to entertain. bill and barb

Old 11-03-2011, 02:44 PM

169 posts, read 583,038 times
Isn't it odd that TIME2TRAVEL hates Oak Island so much but keeps returning? BTW many of those living on Oak Island that he seems to despise are some of the nicest people I know. I grew up poor (my parents ASPIRED to live in a trailer park, but that dream eluded them). I don't judge people by the amount of money they have (or don't have), I judge them by their acts and attitudes. bill

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-03-2011 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 11-04-2011, 10:15 AM

858 posts, read 2,992,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonDregs View Post
Isn't it odd that TIME2TRAVEL hates Oak Island so much but keeps returning? BTW many of those living on Oak Island that he seems to despise are some of the nicest people I know. I grew up poor (my parents ASPIRED to live in a trailer park, but that dream eluded them). I don't judge people by the amount of money they have (or don't have), I judge them by their acts and attitudes. bill
Bill, very well said!

Old 11-04-2011, 12:23 PM

Ahem, ahem... please excuse me as I clear my throat, I want to be comfortable and make sure I speak clearly as I weigh in, albeit belatedly, regarding our good friend whom I shall lovingly refer to as..... "The TIMESTER".... and his most recent pictoral contribution. I am sure we all appreciate the fact that he was able to borrow his boss's digital camera long enough to show everyone some parts of Oak Island that he seems to be objecting to.

I must however point out something that The TIMESTER may have overlooked..... something that some of you have already commented about..... and that is how I believe the pictorals just may have backfired on the po' boy and that they actually depict how nice Oak Island and the people there really are ! As I drive through Oak Island ( just this morning as a metter of fact ) AND peruse my mans' pictures, I am reminded just how much it reminds me of many areas back in NJ and, I'm sure, all over the country. It looks just like Hazlet, NJ... Middletown, NJ... Barnegat, NJ... Long Beach Island, NJ.... all of which are quaint Island / Shore communities just like Oak Island.... along the Jersey coast..... just to name a few. The biggest difference I see is ( as depicted ) unlike NJ, even in the middle of summer, on Oak Island there are plenty of spaces that you can actually "park" your vehicle and get into the restaurants and stores ! Annnnnd, as far as the pick-up trucks are concerned, I think they might have had to import most of the ones in the pictures from St James and the other communities around Southport because every parking lot at every clubhouse AND Tommy Thompsons's has those very same pick-up trucks parked there..... I guess more people than just ""the TIMESTERS red necks"" must prefer them, because they're everywhere. In addition, as he must have been contorted into wild gyrations and positions for camera angles to somehow miss / not show the plethera of $500K+ homes that are scattered throughout each of the neighborhoods in his pictoral.... I commend him on his clever editing through camera angles.

I realize that my man "The TIMESTER" is attempting to show that... in HIS myopic, derogatory and imfammatory view... that only ""red necks"" drive pick-up trucks and of course the only people that are found on Oak Island are those very same ""red necks"". Now, after having previously congratulated him on the pictures from that borrowed camera, I must lodge a complaint at this time..... if he is really attempting a public service type announcement, he would have gotten the infrared attachments with that camera and would have taken some pictures "after dark" so that we could see those gun toting marauders that will not let you out alive after dark that he was talking about...... which, of course, is completely preposterous to any thinking individual..... lest we forget though that his thinking might be affected by the fact that he must be hunkered down in his very own single wide most of the time, somewhere in an undisclosed location "deep" in the woods, sweatingly clutching his musket and a' sportin' his coonskin cap ( no doubt a hand-me down from a great, great grandfather ) while still reliving and re-diagraming famous squirmishes of the Civil War in his mind..... squirmishes, of course..... where the South prevails this time.

Last edited by Stonecreek67; 11-04-2011 at 12:35 PM..

Old 11-05-2011, 05:43 AM

Ooops..... oh man.... sorry ! It's "skirmishes" with a "K"....... Sister Mary Theresa would have rapped my knuckles a good one with a metal edged ruler for a spelling error like that !!!!!

Old 11-05-2011, 06:03 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
I liked the photos. They show the area as I remember it and brought back many fond memories. I think it's a great place to live and quite charming. It just gets a bit too cold for me there.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:44 PM

720 posts, read 1,708,726 times
Been vacationing there since 1989 and loved the pictures-----made me want to be there. Guess I'm a yankee red neck---I drive a GMC Sierra, 1/2 ton--DH drives the little Nissan to work.
17 monthes to retirement--------cold is relative----3 days without power, some neighbors are still waiting in our town---temps in the 30's and 40's.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:39 PM

383 posts, read 891,465 times
Now that I have removed all the downed tree branches, have seen the 14 inches of snow melt and have my power and heat back, it is time to concentrate on finding a builder to build a house on my SJP lot. Living in NJ can be a challenge, hopefully living in SJP will be easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina