Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 01:47 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,728,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewNC78 View Post
Needless to say after Hurricane Florence we will be moving to Charlotte. We were just in New Bern a week and a half ago and really liked the town. It’s really a bad situation there, and hope the town can get back on it’s feet after all of this. Glad I got to see New Bern before the storm. My parents and family are very much saddened about what Hurricane Florence is doing to New Bern as we all loved the area when we were there.
We are about two blocks from the Neuse and our home did not flood. A lot of the videos (not all) that are all over the airways were taken on either Front Street or South Front St, both of which are right at the rivers.

This is a catastrophic event, but the town is not leveled as some of the reporting would have you believe.

Having stated all of that, good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 07:22 AM

12 posts, read 46,522 times
So are you saying that you think New Bern should be able to recover well from this then? And how quickly? I’m not sure if New Bern has suffered quite like this before or at least not for a very long time. I did see the heart of the downtown area on the news during the storm and didn’t see any flooding there. I know the news makes things out to be worse then they actually are at times, but with our quick time frame for moving I didn’t think it would be a smart move to make in that short of time. My thinking was the areas by the rivers were going to be the areas that would have the main flooding issues and damage, but wasn’t sure how the town as a whole would hold up from this. Just being unsure of this and the potential issue for another problem like this at some point too is definitely a concern of mine for the long term. It is really hard to actually know any of this without being there in person.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:33 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,728,204 times
I am really no big fan of New Bern, to me, it’s ok. If I wanted to move here, this storm would make no difference about moving. Might influence where I lived. I doubt any of the businesses along Front street flooded for the first time during Florence. This is a terrible event but mostly for people and their homes in areas many thought were “safe.”

Good luck.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:10 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
I saw more hurricanes in the 9 years I lived in NC than all the many years in Florida. I was in Kinston for Bertha, Fran & Dennis. Left just before Floyd which devastated so much of eastern North Carolina. I personally would never live near any of the rivers in NC. They don't call it the coastal flood plains for nothing.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:53 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,656,080 times
Quote:
So are you saying that you think New Bern should be able to recover well from this then? And how quickly? I’m not sure if New Bern has suffered quite like this before or at least not for a very long time. I did see the heart of the downtown area on the news during the storm and didn’t see any flooding there. I know the news makes things out to be worse then they actually are at times, but with our quick time frame for moving I didn’t think it would be a smart move to make in that short of time. My thinking was the areas by the rivers were going to be the areas that would have the main flooding issues and damage, but wasn’t sure how the town as a whole would hold up from this. Just being unsure of this and the potential issue for another problem like this at some point too is definitely a concern of mine for the long term. It is really hard to actually know any of this without being there in person.
Seriously??? Did you not watch the news? This was a storm of epic proportions...it will take years to recover but as many have said they have weathered storms before but no one.......NO ONE has ever seen anything like this one. Can you even comprehend FEET of RAIN not inches? Sorry to be a pain but your acting like this will happen all the time it doesn't ,are there storms,HELL YES, but to lump this one in with them is wrong.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:13 AM

I’m not sure where that last post came from, but if you had read all my posts you would have known that I have watched the news, and I do know how badly New Bern got hit with all of the rain and flooding. My parents live in the Charleston area too, and that is where I am from so I was paying very close attention to the storm. My last repy was to a post that made it seem a lot of the area wasn’t as bad as the news led us to believe unless you were by the rivers. I don’t live there so I don’t know, and that is why I asked. Sorry if that was so offensive to you!

We have decided to move somewhere around Charlotte. My wife wasn’t completely sold on New Bern even before the storm.

Again, I will say my family and I are very saddened by what this storm did. It was very catastrophic for a lot of people. Thanks for all of the posts except for that last one. I felt like it was totally uncalled for.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:11 PM

Crazy enough we pushed back our move for reasons I won’t get into, and we are now back to New Bern and even Wilmington areas for our upcoming move. We will start looking for jobs in both areas in a couple of months.

When we visited Wilmington we only had a couple of nights so we didn’t get to see a lot of the areas especially on the north side of town which seems like after research may be some of the better areas for families. Is that true? Saying that let me ask what are the best areas in Wilmington to raise a family? We will rent short term before committing to anything long term, but would like a better idea of which areas are the most family friendly. Thanks for any responses!

Old 04-28-2019, 06:24 PM

275 posts, read 232,370 times
Quote:
Crazy enough we pushed back our move for reasons I won’t get into, and we are now back to New Bern and even Wilmington areas for our upcoming move. We will start looking for jobs in both areas in a couple of months.

When we visited Wilmington we only had a couple of nights so we didn’t get to see a lot of the areas especially on the north side of town which seems like after research may be some of the better areas for families. Is that true? Saying that let me ask what are the best areas in Wilmington to raise a family? We will rent short term before committing to anything long term, but would like a better idea of which areas are the most family friendly. Thanks for any responses!
There are several nice areas, one I really like is the area bounded roughly by S. College Road on the west, Piner Road on the south and Oleander Drive on the north. Most of that area is zoned to good schools, although the southernmost part doesn't have the greatest elementary school...although the schools are currently in a redistricting process so you might want to investigate that further if its an issue for you.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:54 PM

Is that area considered Myrtle Grove(Monkey Junction)? That was one of the areas I’m pretty sure we missed when we were there.

Old 02-08-2020, 05:41 PM

10 posts, read 29,357 times
Default Things are looking up in New Bern

We moved at last to New Bern for my semi-retirement just after Thanksgiving. There are old beautiful homes along the river in varying states of repair, but the downtown area is thriving again and we are happy to be here. The house we originally purchased in the historic district was not damaged in the hurricane, but we actually purchased a second home that had not been on the market originally and plan to sell the first. We like it here very much. It is small town, indeed, but very quaint, VERY community oriented (I think the hurricane actually promoted that), and it's nice to be in a place that is getting better and full of optimism and excitement.

What did you finally decide, OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina