Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 05:13 PM

3 posts, read 33,316 times

Advertisements

I've lived in NC all my 35 years. Moved to Wilmington, Feb-2008, and MY GOD! this place is dangerous. I try to avoid crime-friendly areas, but the predators drive cars here, so pretty much all walking around alone is now out of the question - I got chased and shot at while walking to work at 6:45 a.m.

I'm just out of graduate school, I can't afford the beach, etc. Everyone else seems to love it here. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 10:54 AM

92 posts, read 223,277 times
Try some of the neighborhoods around Monkey Junction. There are houses, condos, apts, townhomes. You might have to drive to work, but it is safe out here!

Old 07-27-2008, 12:41 PM

698 posts, read 3,267,162 times
Obviously,you live in the downtown area?........that's what it sounds like. Most anywhere outside of downtown(further away from downtown the better naturally) is relatively safe ...for now anyway-that's subject to change of course just like downtown has changed.We're on the north side of Wilmington close to 40 so it's convenient to get out of town as well.We have felt safe here for almost five years.However,our subdivision is gated too,so that might help.????????

Old 07-28-2008, 08:50 AM

217 posts, read 1,117,634 times
I live in the Ogden area and there are plenty of safe areas around here. Where do you live right now, exactly? I've never heard of someone being "shot at" on there way to work. I feel safe enough to be walk alone as a female on a regular basis where I live. Sorry you've had such a bad experience thus far.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:43 PM

3 posts, read 33,316 times
Thanks for the feedback everybody. Presently I'm living in the Creek Apts on Wrightsville Ave by the Forest Hills neighborhood. I'd say it's on the outskirts of downtown. But still . . .

I work downtown, and it's just too bad I can't live close enough to walk. I enjoy walking: I don't have to deal with traffic, it keeps me in shape, I can take in the sights - quality of life stuff. Oh well.

If I didn't enjoy my new job - and if the market wasn't so tough right now for my profession - I'd get the hell out of here until the whole gansta-rap/ghetto-fabulous (career-criminal) "culture" is no longer aspired to, celebrated, tolerated, enabled.

The same day I ran for my life, I was in the parking lot of the Food Lion on Dawson St., where I witnessed a foot chase involving a white female police officer and a middle-aged black women. There were probably 30 people in the parking lot cheering on the black women with shouts of "Go,Go!" as she weaved and dodged in her failed getaway.

I know a lot of people are working hard to make the historic district a nice place, but something else needs to be done in Wilmington besides flipping houses. I'm beginning to like the idea of bringing back penal colonies.

Until then . . . how's Leland?

Old 08-15-2008, 01:06 AM

175 posts, read 412,834 times
Simple answer...NO!

Old 08-18-2008, 01:22 AM

35 posts, read 123,170 times
kings grant isnt bad if you dont mind living off busy market street and having to wait 10 mins to pull out to go any where.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:40 AM

57 posts, read 274,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chr40 View Post
Thanks for the feedback everybody. Presently I'm living in the Creek Apts on Wrightsville Ave by the Forest Hills neighborhood. I'd say it's on the outskirts of downtown. But still . . .

I work downtown, and it's just too bad I can't live close enough to walk. I enjoy walking: I don't have to deal with traffic, it keeps me in shape, I can take in the sights - quality of life stuff. Oh well.

If I didn't enjoy my new job - and if the market wasn't so tough right now for my profession - I'd get the hell out of here until the whole gansta-rap/ghetto-fabulous (career-criminal) "culture" is no longer aspired to, celebrated, tolerated, enabled.

The same day I ran for my life, I was in the parking lot of the Food Lion on Dawson St., where I witnessed a foot chase involving a white female police officer and a middle-aged black women. There were probably 30 people in the parking lot cheering on the black women with shouts of "Go,Go!" as she weaved and dodged in her failed getaway.

I know a lot of people are working hard to make the historic district a nice place, but something else needs to be done in Wilmington besides flipping houses. I'm beginning to like the idea of bringing back penal colonies.

Until then . . . how's Leland?
Leland is safer than Wilmington-I know of people who don't lock the car doors and have gone away for short periods of time leaving the home unlocked and the garage door up with nothing being bothered.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:09 PM

57 posts, read 274,470 times
Here is a link to a Wilmington,NC crime map-you can make your own opinion-
Incident Reports | StarNewsOnline.com | Star-News | Wilmington, NC

Old 07-18-2009, 05:11 AM

343 posts, read 1,046,016 times
We were considering a future move to Wilmington....I had no idea there was so much crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina