Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2007, 09:59 AM

13 posts, read 70,225 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a great city somewhat near the beach in NC or SC. Someone suggested the New Bern area. Is anyone from there? It looks beautiful. Is it expensive? My boyfriend and I don't make a lot of money, so we are hoping to find a 1 or 2 bedroom for not much more than $600. Are there lots of young people there?

I looked on line but so far I have only found subsidized housing under $600, and I don't think we qualify.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 06:05 PM

212 posts, read 1,063,655 times
You should be able to find an apartment in that range rather easily. If there aren't enough younger people in New Bern for you, you are a short drive from the beach (40 min. or less) or Greenville (college town night life about 40 min.) so there you go. Look at the Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach area also...not as inexpensive but you ought to be able to come up with something back inland a ways. Also there is Elizabeth City, which is 45 minutes inland from the legendary Outer Banks of NC. Not much to do there but not too expensive either. It's also about 1 hr from Va. Beach, Va.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:19 PM

134 posts, read 549,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kblum View Post
I am looking for a great city somewhat near the beach in NC or SC. Someone suggested the New Bern area. Is anyone from there? It looks beautiful. Is it expensive? My boyfriend and I don't make a lot of money, so we are hoping to find a 1 or 2 bedroom for not much more than $600. Are there lots of young people there?

I looked on line but so far I have only found subsidized housing under $600, and I don't think we qualify.

Thanks!
I lived there for 5 months this summer. There is not a lot to do there. It is mainly an older group of people. Rent can be cheap, houses are more expensive than in Raleigh.

You might have better luck in Morehead City for a younger group of people and there is more to do, and bascially right on the beach.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:30 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
I lived there for 5 months this summer. There is not a lot to do there. It is mainly an older group of people. Rent can be cheap, houses are more expensive than in Raleigh.

You might have better luck in Morehead City for a younger group of people and there is more to do, and bascially right on the beach.
New Bern is a great town! Great place to live and raise a family. There is so much new development happening downtown. It really is amazing for such a small town. There are some great little pubs and clubs downtown.....and I am sure more will be coming soon.

From what I understand, the cost of living has gone up a bit since I lived their. It is still much cheaper than the larger NC cities.

Sure, there is not much to do now. But this will change in the up coming years. The town is really growing. The population of New Bern and communities is probably getting close to 35,000. That is not counting Havelock. What is so cool is the growth downtown. You just don't see that kind of growth in a NC downtown for a town of New Bern's size. Other eastern NC towns are falling apart....or already fallen apart. New Bern's downtown is amazing and full of history. New Bern is surrounded by water on three sides. If you have a boat....you will be in heaven!

Oh yeah.....there are younger people in New Bern too. Don't worry about that. The older people are mostly in River Bend and Fairfield Harbor.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 8,663 times
Thumbs up yup

well i just moved here to...im currently staying with a friend but looking to get out with in the month. im 23 and so far i love it here. i am having trouble finding an apartment for the price i want (400 for a 1 bedroom) so im gonna have to settle for a 2 bedroom and just hope i find a roommate....well good luck to you guys this is a great place for couples. there are alot of couples in the area. check out people on myspace!

Old 02-23-2007, 07:53 PM

10 posts, read 48,070 times
What off road bike trails are in new bern and how are they???

Old 02-25-2007, 09:05 PM

2 posts, read 10,364 times
Question vanceboro

What is the area on hwy 43 around vanceboro like?

Old 12-30-2010, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 5,937 times
my husband and I plan to move to NC we w'like to know good towns to live and raise a family, I mean good schools, colleges, no expensive rent, etc.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:11 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weski2 View Post
What off road bike trails are in new bern and how are they???
The closest mountain bike trail, if thats what you mean, is on MCAS Cherry Point. They also have some on base at Camp Lejuene. There are lots of fire roads to explore though.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:12 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlesa View Post
What is the area on hwy 43 around vanceboro like?
Its midway between New Bern and Greenville. Very small town, not alot there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina