Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 03:42 PM

17 posts, read 55,497 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm relocating to the Greenville, NC area. My daughter will be starting her junior in high school after our relocation. I need some advice on where to buy a home that will also provide a good high school for my daughter. I've heard the public school system isn't good in the area because the kids are pretty wild. Does anyone have any info or advice on the public schools or private schools in the area? She is a very social person and really needs the social outlet school provides. I'll be working at Pitt County Hospital, but I don't mind comuting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 05:31 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,259,100 times
South Central HS in Winterville is a very good HS. St. Peter's is an excellent Catholic HS. Winterville is where we relocated to 5 years ago, the HS is 2 years old and has great feedback as far as education. You would only be 5 miles from the hospital by relocating to Winterville, there are a lot of great sub-divisions, one directly in front of SCHS. Good luck in your move.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:50 PM

11 posts, read 35,467 times
We have three really strong high schools. I have had a daughter graduate from DH Conley, my second daughter graduated from South Central and I have a sophomore there now. The third school is JH Rose. They all have a social network for girls. Rose is in Greenville and the other two are outside of Winterville. They are all within 15 minutes from the hospital. My oldest daughter is an RN at the hospital. Please let me know if I can help you with relocating. I have lived here since birth and would be glad to answer any questions. I am a realtor and would be more than happy to help answer any questions you may have.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:15 AM

I rode out with the fire and rescue EMS yesturday. They told me that if you live in Greenville, you really can't pick your school district. They said that the kids are divided up to help diversify the schools. How do you know where to live so you can be in the school district you want? Is Winterville like that too?

Old 11-03-2008, 05:57 PM

I guess the first thing you need to do is decide which school you would like your daughter to attend and then look at houses in that school district. All of Pitt County is that way and that includes Winterville. My brother works with Greenville Fire Rescue. How did you like that and what part of the hospital will you be working in.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:11 PM

Oh, those guys are so nice! They only had one call while I was there so I didn't get to see them at their full hero potential. They said it is slow when they have observers!

I'm considering a residency in emergency medicine. I still haven't decided on Greenville; only because of the school situation. I love the hospital, the nurses, the residents, the patients...EVERYTHING. I need to know my daughter can be happy. I don't want her to be afraid to go to school. School is very important to her, for all the wrong reasons (socializing). I'm honestly not concerned about the academics. I've always had to supplement her in that department. I'm mostly concerned about the kids and if she will be safe and feel safe.

I read a post by someone cutting down the hospital. They obviously haven't worked there or any other hospital for that matter. That place is one well oiled machine. Their ED sees over 80,000 patients a year! Not too many ED can match that; even the ones in big cities.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:54 PM

I would think it would be easier to mingle and meet friends at South Central or DH Conley. It always makes things easier if you play a sport. Does your daughter do any sports that can help meet girls and start bonding with girls on a team.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:59 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,455,149 times
I am a student at South Central (a junior). So I can tell you any and everything about South Central, it's a good school for some kid's, and some kid's it's not. South Central is a very social school with a sorry football team (dead serious), so im saying something good and bad about it. There is a good amount of gang activity within the school but it's not as bad as rose. Must of the student's who claim that they are in a "gang" are fake, fool or whatever, me im not in a gang but I have very close ties to one part of the city called Southside. It's a fair sized school, I live in Downtown and my mother drives me to a bus stop everyday (she works at pcmh too, but at the breast imaging center). Well just ask any question's to me a student at South Central.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:48 PM

Thanks you guys. I'm going to visit the schools Tuesday and see what I think. She is a good, regular teenager. She doesn't get into trouble, and somehow, trouble doesn't find her. Most likely because she has always had a strong diverse group of loyal friends. She has always made friends easily so she'll probably be ok anywhere. I just want her to be safe and not be afraid to go to school. She stopped playing softball in 9th grade. She would like to play again.

I know their are gangs everywhere. I don't hear about them in our home town. So the post about gangs kindof freaked me out a little...... With that being said, does anyone know anything about the private school situation in Greenville? Someone said St. Peters is good but it is only through the the 8th grade.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:25 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,455,149 times
Im sorry I cant help you when it get downs to private school's, but South Central is a good school sorry to send of the impression. Im not trying to be racist's or anything to anybody, but do you like your child being around more redneck's or do you like her being in a mix? Because if you like redneck's then D.H. Conely should be the choice for you, but South Central is mixed, and everyone is fine. To me some of the teacher's at South Central are racist's because they seem as if they call on certain group's of people and me being a african american I alway's notice it. Say if your in P.E. or something the teacher will see three or four groups of people all talking while he is talking, so he call's on the group's full of african american's and tell's us to shut up, then he see's a cacusian group and tell's them to please be quiet, and touchs them on the shoulder or something with a smile on his face, and to me that isnt fair. Well thats all I have to say, if you have any farther question's just direct them to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina