Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2013, 10:07 AM

145 posts, read 266,502 times

Advertisements

Hey, anyone know any news about the new WITN studio on Arlington like when they are moving in there? I did hear they had started broadcasting the signal from there but I don't know why they wouldn't be filming from there yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 10:09 AM

145 posts, read 266,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisch View Post
Much of the decrease in crime and specifically at least one of the items mentioned can be attributed to the Sheriff's department and Neil Elks. His department has done an amazing job; he really turned things around there after being elected.

Not trying to take away from the police chief since I do believe our new chief is good... just pointing out that the PCSO has been working hard too.
Yeah I sort of was just talking about the downtown Greenville area but you're right, it has actually been better all over Pitt County.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 AM

910 posts, read 1,318,593 times
Quote:
Much of the decrease in crime and specifically at least one of the items mentioned can be attributed to the Sheriff's department and Neil Elks. His department has done an amazing job; he really turned things around there after being elected.
It really is astounding how much effect a sheriff can have. In Dare County the previous sheriff had been there for over 20 years, ran training groups out of Quantico, on tons of boards and LEO groups, and the crime rate was one of the lowest in the state. New guy comes in with the tea party wave, little experience beyond working as a small-time cop in Ahoskie, and all of a sudden theft, assaults, "gang" activity, even meth which was unheard of even a few years ago is all over the place. You'd think the beach had turned into downtown Mogadishu overnight.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:50 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post
I agree. I think the new police chief really is doing a good job because if you look at the news right now they have had lots of drug busts and then they just finished a big operation downtown where they arrested something like 33 people over a couple of weeks.
The recent mass arrests were made mostly around West Greenville, not sure any were actually downtown. These arrests were in response to two gang-related shootings in a complex that is practically outside of Greenville just off Stantonsburg Rd.

The new chief has a strong track record in patrolling, which the PD had gotten away from under the last chief. Hopefully, in the coming months, we'll see a stronger police presence all around town, instead of just certain neighborhoods, Walmart, and the Sheetz on 10th.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:08 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post
Hey, anyone know any news about the new WITN studio on Arlington like when they are moving in there? I did hear they had started broadcasting the signal from there but I don't know why they wouldn't be filming from there yet.
Shortly. They're non committal about the date. Being an all brand new station, it takes a while to iron the bugs out and get all of the new stuff installed. One thing at a time I guess. From their website:

Quote:
WITN News and other operations will be moving to the new Greenville facility over the next several months

Old 01-15-2013, 04:25 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Quote:
Anyone else here a Parks And Recreation fan? I'm reminded of Leslie's World's Smallest Park on the old phone booth island.
FYI, Mill Ends Park is the worlds smallest park.

Mill Ends Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-15-2013, 05:01 PM

286 posts, read 652,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
FYI, Mill Ends Park is the worlds smallest park.

Mill Ends Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I was referring to the fictional TV show...

Old 01-15-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I was referring to the fictional TV show...
I realize that. I love Leslie Knope. I was just injecting something else, that is real, and semi-interesting.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:28 PM

910 posts, read 1,318,593 times
Wow and I thought Jimmy Smith park in Boone was tiny. 3 rocks, 3 benches.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:06 AM

Greenville ranks # 30 on the 2012 Milken Institute Best-Performing Cities Index. That make us the top small metro in NC.

http://bestcities.milkeninstitute.or...&year=&ID=1230

2012 Best-Performing Cities - 179 Smallest Metros
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina