Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 08:22 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,826 times

Advertisements

I hate to say this but a minor league team at Guy Smith Stadium would be a failure. if they don't construct a new stadium in a mew location it will not work. A new stadium in the tobacco warehouse district could work though I believe...I'm not a baseball fan but I'd bring my kid there to watch some games if the area turns out like they want it to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 09:20 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
I hate to say this but a minor league team at Guy Smith Stadium would be a failure. if they don't construct a new stadium in a mew location it will not work. A new stadium in the tobacco warehouse district could work though I believe...I'm not a baseball fan but I'd bring my kid there to watch some games if the area turns out like they want it to.
I think, I hope, I believe, if Guy Smith Stadium is used, it will be a temporary stopgap. Assuming we get a team and the hypothetical downtown stadium isn't ready yet. One season at GSS would be fine, but any longer wouldn't work.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:28 AM

910 posts, read 1,319,264 times
Guy Smith Stadium would be fine for a summer league team (and I think the Daredevils are still up for sale).

Old 01-28-2013, 09:30 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
I agree. If the games are at Guy Smith, it would be a problem. Not enough parking and having people that come to games cross Moye Blvd would be hectic.

I hope the Tobacco Campus works out. If not, I still think there are a couple of areas in the city that would be sufficient to build a stadium in hopes of creating a new "downtown". I think there needs to be an area of the city that Adults can feel safe walking around and bringing their kids to a baseball game, or going "out" with friends later at night without feeling that someone is going to attack or rob them. I don't think it will need to be free of bars or clubs. They will simply need to cater to an older crowd.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:47 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
The Tobacco campus would be great for a stadium complex...but thats the Ficklen Warehouse area between Evans/Reade/Dickinson and 10th...the article mentioned the Imperial Warehouse, which was the one that caught fire...thats a little more concerning IMO, because that is on the west side of Dickinson and straddles the RR tracks. You have to fix the warehouse district before you head to other side of Dickinson.

The 10th Street connector will be a game changer for both of these areas, but you want to stay as close to ECU/Evans/Downtown as possible. The Imperial site would not work without A LOT of other investment.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:55 PM

145 posts, read 266,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
The Tobacco campus would be great for a stadium complex...but thats the Ficklen Warehouse area between Evans/Reade/Dickinson and 10th...the article mentioned the Imperial Warehouse, which was the one that caught fire...thats a little more concerning IMO, because that is on the west side of Dickinson and straddles the RR tracks. You have to fix the warehouse district before you head to other side of Dickinson.

The 10th Street connector will be a game changer for both of these areas, but you want to stay as close to ECU/Evans/Downtown as possible. The Imperial site would not work without A LOT of other investment.
Yeah, I think a minor league stadium would work but I think first they would have to do a lot of work on Dickinson by renovating shops and building new ones to replace the really run down shops along there. Plus they would need to create a pedestrian friendly atmosphere too. I feel like they need to try and stick with one type of style with the downtown buildings. Sort of like keeping the style more like the look of the new transportation center. If it is going to be the tobacco warehouse district then the shops and buildings need to have a brick/tobacco warehouse style. I really think they could learn a lot of things about what to do with this area from the Durham tobacco district. I like the modern style buildings but it just doesn't go with Greenville's downtown area. Modern buildings just don't feel like a sidewalk shopping type of downtown. That's just my opinion about the subject. And I think the proposed Firetower renovation type thing is a good idea. Its better then tearing it down.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:00 PM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Personally, I think that area needs to re-define itself. I've been partial to the LoDo name since visiting Denver after the Rockies stadium located there. Basically, Denver coordinated the baseball stadium with the redevelopment of the warehouse area in lower Downtown, they called it LoDo and use tax breaks to get businesses to locate there. It could work in the area between Cotanche and Dickinson bordered by Reade Circle and 10th Street. Create an Arts/Entertainment District with a baseball stadium, pedestrian improvements, residential space, good lighting/etc...the Museum of Art is already in there. The Evans St Gateway project is a good start, but it has to expand to the whole district as I defined. The Multi-modal center will be on the far end near Dickinson and the RR tracks...and the RR tracks can be the dividing line....on the other side should go with affordable housing type neighborhoods like Nathaniel Village.

Call the area LoDo and get to work with investors and Uptown Greenville/ECU/the City, ect....

The 10th St connector will drop you right there...and ECU will even be moving toward Evans at 10th....ECU could then utilize the warehouses it owns for arts/business incubator type uses for its students....I have always been a proponent of tearing down the Art building on 5th because it doesn't match the rest of the buildings and building new student housing there that do match.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:43 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times
Conceptual for Town Commons

Old 01-28-2013, 11:58 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,109 times
In looking at the minor league map, I can envision one possible scenario: Greenville would like a team; Hagerstown, Md most likely will get a new stadium as part of their downtown revitalization; there are a glut of teams in the Piedmont; perhaps the SAL team can move to Greenville from Hagerstown, which can be the new home of the current Burlington team. This would keep the same number of teams in NC, but spread them out a little more. Hate to shut out Burlington, but there are teams in Durham, Greensboro, and Winston-Salem. It just seems like an over-saturation of minor league options, lowering their own values. The Burlington team is short-season rookie ball, and Hagerstown is a better location for an Appalachian League team. Greenville would actually fill in a huge geographical gap in the SAL, making those bus rides from Salisbury, Md to Savannah less tiresome for the players. Burlington already only gets two-and-a-half months of pro ball, so they would be as well or better off with an indy or college league team.

This is all, of course, my own personal fantasy!

Old 01-29-2013, 12:08 AM

910 posts, read 1,319,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Conceptual for Town Commons

As long as it gets rid of all those parking lots...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina