Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2008, 08:12 AM
MVR

4 posts, read 13,683 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are discussing moving to New Bern...seems that New Bern keeps "popping up", as if someone is trying to tell me something.
First I found out about New Bern in an issue of Coastal Living Magazine while sitting in a hospital waiting room recently while my wife was having Lap Band surgery. That is where I first heard of it, and read that it's one of the most affordable coastal areas around.
Next, while doing just a minor browsing for graphic design jobs on Monster.com, searching under North Carolina, the only job listed that even came close to what I currently do was in New Bern. (not that I was taking it too seriously...we're still a year or two away from moving, though hopefully we can get there sooner).
Ok, and here is the strange part. While at work a few days ago, someone asked me if I could find them a graphic of a compass. I typed in something like "Compass point" or something in Google image search...clicked on the first one that looked about right, and what did it bring up? A site about RELOCATING TO NEW BERN, NC!!
Yep, I'm starting to think we are MEANT to go there.
I'm 40...wife is 31...and we have a 5-year old daughter...I have a degree in graphic design, currently working in the print-shop dept. of a health clinic. My wife and I are VERY anxious to get out of Michigan, and the more we look into New Bern, the more we like it.
Can anyone suggest a few sites that we might be able to read up on more about New Bern? I've seen quite a few already, and so far we both LOVE the small-town feeling everyone seems to brag about there...yet not so small that it's "Mayberry" or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 08:52 PM

3 posts, read 10,158 times
I agree we are relocating soon. CAn you recommend schools? Neighborhoods? Churches?

Old 08-24-2008, 05:14 AM

646 posts, read 2,667,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbill View Post
It looks like we will be moving to New Bern. I am excited but nervous at the same time. The only place I have lived is in connecticut, same town. I have my favorite chinese rest, pizza place etc.. I need to find these places again, the simple things. Does anyone have any suggestions about dance classes for my 7 yr old (tap and jazz) this is her 3rd year, also piano lessons. Does New Bern have a little league program. Does the YMCA have a swim team? Can someone tell me or reassure me that kids make friends easily. They are all excited and are ready to go, but I am the worrier. I am so glad I found this forum, it is a great help! Thanks again for the info and help.
It's a great little town,my duaghter and her family live there.There is a great store down there the kids love call "Accidental Artist"....trust me the kids will love!

Old 08-27-2008, 07:54 AM

148 posts, read 611,113 times
You may want to consider the schools in Western Carteret County...Croatan High School is ranked 7th best is all NC...This area is close to the water, good schools, lots of medical, and dental facilites, and small town living....

Old 08-27-2008, 08:15 AM

2 posts, read 7,665 times
We lived in New Bern for 21 years, 1984-2005. Our 4 childredn all graduated from New Bern High School and did very well. Our oldest daughter still lives there with her husband and 4 children. They all attend public school. Pefect schools? I don't think so! However, it depends upon your perspective and approach. If you are a parent that simply sends their children to school and let the "system" do the job, you'll very disappointed.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:27 AM

145 posts, read 849,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Here's a great video on New Bern from the New Bern visitor center: Weather Info for our area...

If you want to keep up with all of the news/events along coastal NC: North Carolina Coastal News - Home (http://www.nccoastalnews.com - broken link).

I own a Real Estate Agency in the area-Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.
Bill
Bill,

You always have helpfull posts. Thanks for the links.
My husband and I are staying in Atlantic Beach in 3 weeks, and on the way back to Winston Salem were planning to stay one night in New Bern.
We are looking for a nice place to retire.
How is the flood insurance for that area?
Thanks,
Patti V

Old 09-06-2008, 01:47 AM

646 posts, read 2,667,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattiv View Post
Bill,

You always have helpfull posts. Thanks for the links.
My husband and I are staying in Atlantic Beach in 3 weeks, and on the way back to Winston Salem were planning to stay one night in New Bern.
We are looking for a nice place to retire.
How is the flood insurance for that area?
Thanks,
Patti V

bump

Old 09-08-2008, 04:54 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Most places in New Bern and surrounding areas don't require flood insurance unless you get into Pamlico County or if you buy in one of the few areas that are close to river levels. Buy in one of the subdivisions of off hwy 70 towards Havelock and you will be fine.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:45 AM

33 posts, read 106,271 times
Jay, I owned Marina Sweets when you ate their last June. Sold it in October of last year. Thank you so much for the compliment. I miss the place now and then, but have since enjoyed my real estate career.

Again, thanks for the mention. I probably cooked your food when you were there.

Martha

Old 09-15-2008, 06:57 AM

33 posts, read 106,271 times
Kim, Were you asking about New Bern last year? I'm originally for New Bern and returned to raise my family here. My son went to Bangert Elementary and is now in HJ McDonald Middle. He is an honor's student and we have been thrilled with the education.

I can't imagine that you would have any problem finding a job in Craven County Schools. The board office is on the corner of Trent and Glenburnie Rds.

Looking over your past posts, yes, New Bern has a little league. The Sunday School Cal Ripkin League is the most popular through the county. Babe Ruth at 13+ There is also a very good travel baseball program. On Deck Sports is a baseball business that has indoor batting facility and offers clinics, private lessons, etc. They sponsor different age group travel teams. My son plays for On Deck Sports Riptide for 13 & Under.

There are unbelievable deals on beautiful upscale homes right now. You are looking at the right time in this shifting market.

Good luck!

Martha

Jay Daughtry, I owned Marina Sweets when you ate their last June. Sold it in October of last year. Thank you so much for the compliment. I miss the place now and then, but have since enjoyed my real estate career.

Again, thanks for the mention. I probably cooked your food when you were there.

Martha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina