Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 06:49 AM

311 posts, read 916,003 times

Advertisements

in the 200,000's for a home in Beaufort? and someone on a 6 figure salary is forced to live in a doublewide b/c they can't afford one of those homes? this doesn't seem to make much sense, so though i've never been to beaufort, the home prices don't sound bad at all .. i'd still keep it in the running if i were you before you write it off due to home prices that are not even that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 07:16 AM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Yeah, that's why I posted about the real cost of homes in Beaufort--that posting about the six-figure couple living in a double-wide made no sense--unless that couple just had to live on acreage, on the water, with a dock...that would cost a bit more than cost of $170,000-$225,000 for 3/2 stick-built home of around 1400-1800 square feet in a nice neighborhood...

Old 07-29-2009, 09:51 AM

135 posts, read 640,488 times
Even though i posted previously, i'm positing again since I'm actually moving to Wilmington for grad school, and I vacation every year in Atlantic Beach, near Beaufort. Really there's not much to compare.

Wilmington is near many beaches, but it isn't right on the ocean, although it does run across the cape fear river. Also, while it may seem like a 'small town' it really doesn't have that vibe to it, especially with all the traffic during the week, strip malls everywhere etc etc. The communities that are on the beach seem to be more like a small town though. Wrightsville Beach has some very nice homes, which are probablly very expensive, although i personally prefer the beaches to the north. There is a crime issue. I've been warned by several different people about the crime, including my graduate advisor. But most of the crime seems to be in the downtown area, and most of it seems to be crime against property, aka lots of things stolen/broken in to/ etc. There's been lots of discussion on this board about the crime in Wilmington and you should look it up to see if it's something ya'll can deal with.

Beaufort has always been a really friendly place. It's kept it's downtown limited to historic buildings, and local stores. It has it's own ocean-waterfront that typically has a variety of sailboats, boats, and sometimes even some very nice yachts. The large chain stores are typically across the bridge in Morehead City. But really that's to be expected for a small town. I don't think that here are many spas or such nearby... although that's not something that i typically look for :3

Wilmington and Beaufort are only 2-2.5 hours apart. Its a really easy drive down 24/17 in each direction. If I were ya'll i'd spend a week traveling down the coast to get a feel for what ya'll like and don't like.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:58 PM

3 posts, read 6,337 times
Many thanks to everyone for all of the input. We will be visiting both towns at the end of the summer and can not wait to explore them.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:09 PM

693 posts, read 1,606,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Dreamer View Post
I am from Bradenton, Fl and my husband is from Columbus, OH. We have been considering relocating to the NC Coast, so we can be near the ocean, but still enjoy the seasons. (From all that we have heard, it seems to be the perfect blend of what we love most in both areas.)

We are currently living in a hip community of other young pre-children professionals, but have discouraged by the rise in crime. I love that we can walk to dinner, for coffee, or to the local book store, but am tired of having our car broken into or finding random people digging through our trash in the alley.

We would like to live in a friendly small town or historic district no more then 45 minutes from a quiet beach where the surf is not too rough. We love farmer's markets, picnics, walks on the beach, kayaking, long bike rides, and local festivals.

Any help in pointing us in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.
If you need to be only 45 min from the beach you should also look into New Bern. It is more affordable housing-wise than Beaufort. And being on the Neuse and Trent rivers it has lots of opportunity for water activities. The farmer's market, while still fairly paltry, has grown over the last few years. The downtown community is a fun place to live.

But I also happen to really love Beaufort. If I could have afforded the historic district there that's where I would have moved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina